Thread: Mount Icicles to a "frame" or PVC rather than direct to window?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Mount Icicles to a "frame" or PVC rather than direct to window?

Before I start climbing ladders and stringing multiple strings of iclcles up - I was thinking of how I could simplify the process.

Rather than my usual method (stringing lights to cup hooks spread across window frame, I was thinking it would be easier if I mounted the lights to a piece of PVC- THEN just attached the pre-strung "rod" to the window frame.

Anyone do this or have a better suggestion?

I *thought* I saw someone on the TASL tour with this done, but now I cant recall the details :-(

Carl B Zachary

Default Re: Mount Icicles to a "frame" or PVC rather than direct to window?

That is what I did with the lights I used to outline my windows. So I am sure it would work just fine with just doing the rod across top.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

There are two that I can think of. @David Stafford and myself both do something along these lines. David created the PVC "triangles" to place on the peaks of his house allowing him to have lights up the sides of the roof. They look really good and cut down on setup time. For myself, I use a 40 foot section of PVC framing and hoist my icicles up similar to a theater lighting truss system. I don't have any pictures of it though.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am definitely big on using PVC. I use a ton of it including all the icicles on my house. Last year when we were looking at David's display, he was talking about one negative. He had wrapped the light strings around the pipe. So many of the lights were pointing inward and not being seen. He was talking about trying to find a better way to do it, but at the same time keeping the PVC frame.

If you are going to use pixel nodes, pixel strips, dumb RGB strings (or strips), they could just be tie-wrapped with all the bulbs pointing out. A lot of work to make them but they should give you years of service this way. Definitely one of the better ways to go!
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm happy with my wrapped PVC, but in addition to the negative @kidcole mentioned whereby the high density wrapping (I wrap as densely as 100 M6's per 2 feet times 3 colors!) can end up with wire covering bulbs - the other problem is these suckers are HEAVY. To do my roof peaks, the weight of the lights bow the pole which makes me need to add several support along the way.

I never thought about using PVC for my window frames - I immediately went the path of wrapping 1x4 stock wood frames which also results in about a 20-30% loss of light from the bulbs trapped behind the wood.

I'm playing with another idea right now for Halloween whereby which I'm going to try to afix mini lights to a taught metal wire. I only have half cases of Orange and Purple 100-mini LED strings from CDI that I'm hoping to outline the house with...

Sorry I was slow on this thread - I just came out looking for where to buy some large Strobe floods to get this Halloween thing done :-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by David Stafford View Post
    I'm happy with my wrapped PVC, but in addition to the negative @kidcole mentioned whereby the high density wrapping (I wrap as densely as 100 M6's per 2 feet times 3 colors!) can end up with wire covering bulbs - the other problem is these suckers are HEAVY. To do my roof peaks, the weight of the lights bow the pole which makes me need to add several support along the way.

I never thought about using PVC for my window frames - I immediately went the path of wrapping 1x4 stock wood frames which also results in about a 20-30% loss of light from the bulbs trapped behind the wood.

I'm playing with another idea right now for Halloween whereby which I'm going to try to afix mini lights to a taught metal wire. I only have half cases of Orange and Purple 100-mini LED strings from CDI that I'm hoping to outline the house with...

Sorry I was slow on this thread - I just came out looking for where to buy some large Strobe floods to get this Halloween thing done :-)
    Good info and glad to hear from you. I sent you an email on Sunday asking to help Rob Noble with his LOR Superstar. Rob is doing a CCR megatree about the same as yours. I could not help him much with the CCR configs. But thought you might be able to. Rob is a Cary Fireman if you have not met him.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I've used "frames" for almost all of the stuff I put on the house for the last 7 years. Some of these were wood, rather than PVC, but outlining the edges of the house, and some on the roof were all done with rope light, LED based columns and even LED c7s on the roof. Much of it was designed to hang from hooks under the eaves - easy put up and take down.

Now that I'm in transition, and moving all this stuff, it takes up more room to store, but I'm thinking I can reuse lots of it - just by putting hooks back up on the eaves and hanging them up.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Great Falls, South Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

back in the 90's I bought some plastic tracks that you attached the lights to and then screwed a plastic snap onto the house every 1 to 2 ft.....the snaps would stay on the house year round....I used them and they worked great...I have since moved (forgot to take down the snaps) and now I cant find any of the tracks to add on...It was a great design each of the tracks was about 3 ft long and had plastic securing clamps that secured the lights to the track

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have started to use wood frames for anything around windows and doors. The wood is painted to match the molding colors and the lights are stapled using stainless steel staples (no rust) . But I use PVC for icicles and effects. My hopped up blowmolds (around 40 of them) all have PVC frames mounted inside (from the bottom). Then LED lights are wrapped around the PVC center post, and the post is dropped over rebar in the ground for anchoring. This has proven to be an amazing design for blowmolds. The PVC makes a perfect way to wrap the lights up the center, so there is no shadow from the pole. The PVC and lights adds a lot of weight, so this makes the blowmolds very stable. The blowmolds are brighter as result of the LED (I use cool white inside, even though I HATE using cool white where they can be seen). And as long as you use full wave LEDS (or add your own rectifiers), the DIMMING is fantastic.

I used PVC pipe for the center pole in my home-made mini trees. I wanted mine to look like miniature mega-trees, but then when it came time to wrap the lights, I didn't want to eat up a ton of channels to make each .. so I ended up just wrapping the trees with two strings of minis (200 bulbs) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole