Thread: Problem with display (renard/ vixen)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Question Problem with display (renard/ vixen)

OK, we have a recurring problem that we thought we had rectified last night but is again giving us fits.

We are running vixen 3.2 via serial port to rs285/485 to ethernet daisychained to 8 renard ss24's. (windows 7 64 bit, intel core duo)

The very last renard box in the chain (the 8th one) is not behaving properly. It has 16 candy canes, the lights of one blow-up and one channel on our mega tree and a few other small items. They are operating intermittently, either off or occasionally in sequence properly, to my knowledge, nothing is on when it should not be on. We have changed ethernet cables repeatedly, we changed the pics last night and it worked properly last night, then tonight went back to what I described above.

We do have backup renard boxes but we can't change the box out until next weekend because we have completely run out of spt-2 wire. (Have plugs, don't have wire.) We thought we had it solved last night or we could have spent today switching to a backup box.

Does anyone have any other ideas or similar experiences and any resolution as to what we could look at as the culprit?

Thanks for any ideas
    Gregg
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Problem with display (renard/ vixen)

Gregg,

Is this box one of the first two that you purchased for your first year pre-assembled? If so, I know exactly what is causing it and have the parts to fix it. Let me know and I'll get them to you somehow. I can go into more detail later, it's a very complicated issue.

Sam
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Sam wasnt one of the old boxes but we figured out what it was. It was U4 and/or U5. The 8 pin connectors. Dont know what they do. Please let me know what may have went wrong with them.
    Thanks
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Now you guys have me curious ! I was going to ask if you terminated the line, but that's a DMX thing and not sure if Renard needs termination resistors at the last device .. like DMX does.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well actually after i posted the last comment it went out again. This was the last time so I finally just switched the pigtails. Working perfectly so far. Ill see tonight if it works with the show. I think the issue was a weak solder joint