Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default First North Pole Sign

Spent the afternoon putting together my first North Pole sign for my first display. Total height = 4'6", 6" globe on top with a C7 LED cool white light inside (not sure if its bright enough or not yet).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3089.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	2074
    The Grinch: MAX. HELP ME... I'm FEELING.....and as always, Keep Clam and Chive On!

Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: First North Pole Sign

Nice work!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Great design .. Perhaps you wrap the white spaces of the pole with light strings .. Maybe two sets of lights (red and white) .. Then maybe in the future, a set of RGBs to make the white spaces three channels and any color you want ... :-)
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-11-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I saw your North Pole Sign when I stopped by this week and love it. I might "borrow" the idea if you don't mind......
    144 Channels - 75,000 LED Lights
    Blowmolds, Virtual Santa & other good stuff

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah... I saw it also... Looked good, your right letters could be bigger or brighter but it was VERY classy...
    My dad lives down the street and u saw the snowman so I thought let's check it out ... Then saw the sign... Looked like you got some good traffic. This is my first year also. We should all get together and bounce ideas around...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Feel free to use my design, it was fairly simple and pretty inexpensive. I have a parts list on my home computer I can send to you guys with additional "construction" pictures. Let me know and I will send them to you. Had to take the snowman down after the last windy bought we had before Christmas. He got beat up a little bit and I needed to bring him in for a while so I could check for tears. I am down with forming up a Charlotte group, I'm willing to bet Brian, Pete, and a few others would be interested.
    The Grinch: MAX. HELP ME... I'm FEELING.....and as always, Keep Clam and Chive On!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks similar to the one I built this year. I got the idea from here:
    North Pole - Radio Sign - Moody Family Christmas

I modified the base a little to withstand the wind better (using a Christmas tree stand with some stakes in it).

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by DanHouston View Post
    Looks similar to the one I built this year. I got the idea from here:
    North Pole - Radio Sign - Moody Family Christmas

I modified the base a little to withstand the wind better (using a Christmas tree stand with some stakes in it).
    I've found that the best way to support poles, borders, blowmolds, and darned near anything .. is to use 1/2" pvc pipe and 3/8" ebar. For North poles and anything else with 3" or larger PVC, cut some round circles from 3/4" presssure treated (or 5/4" pressure treated), so the cirlces will fit inside the large PVC tubes. Then drill holes in circles for the 1/2" PVC to fit through. You can grind down the sides of a slightly larger paddle bit to exactly match the outside of the 1/2" PVC. And slide the circles over the PVC and epoxy them in place. One near the bottom and one near the top (minimum) .. Three is even stronger. I would also leave a few incheas of the 1/2" pvc sticking out below the bottom circle, so you have a handle for sliding it into the larger tube. Then just use a couple setscrews to secure the circles. This makes your mount removable if needed. And then drive a 3/8" rebar into the ground and drop the pole over it. My blowmolds have withstood 40 to 50mph winds with all PVC framing inside (no wood circles for those). Even my blowmold bears sitting 30" off the ground, only wable slightly in high wind. Pic attached:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1067-small.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yeah...I remember that from the TASL meeting. I had a spare Christmas Tree stand handy and with the adjustable screws and a green plastic base it worked well with the pole. The stakes through it were to make sure the sign did not get caught (like a sail) and drag the thing down. The only part I did not like about the base is you can easily see the set screws, so I may add a tree skirt to it next year.