Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Best Singing Head?

It's just like anything else, there are tradeoffs. And folks have different preferences, and what may work for one may not work for someone else, due to their house, their yard, and their storage capability, etc...

Coro is lighter but a bit more fragile. Plywood is heavier and harder to get up on the roof, unless, of course, you have a crane or similar type device that can lift things. Or like Al, you had a Walter who could help move that stuff, and is much younger than me....

Wireframes are great, and do have much less wind resistance, but then you have to have a good way to attach the lights. And maintenance can be tricky, depending on how you attached the lights.

We can discuss this at length, and you'll get different opinions of why someone chose one or the other. But if it works for you, then go for it!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry, doing this on my phone...What is ULE and when? My face is on a geotextile grid. I can bring it with me to the meet if anyone wants to see it.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by IATCUYB View Post
    Sorry, doing this on my phone...What is ULE and when? My face is on a geotextile grid. I can bring it with me to the meet if anyone wants to see it.
    Craig, April 20 in Greenville, SC. ULE is a group of folks in Greenville that are really meeting for their first official meeting. Several people from the Greenville area (I won't name them because you might not know them) and Walter, Melissa (Walter's squeeze), Deb, and myself got together for dinner in Greenville about a year ago as their first unofficial meeting. Mark, Walter, and I are presenting and if you are lucky I might fix you and your better half a latte with beans that I roasted myself thanks to you guys. I absolutely love the coffee roaster you recommended. The espresso machine will be at the motorhome though. Maybe Shannon ( @SWood ) will arrange a dinner somewhere after the meeting.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Herb we can talk about this too at the meeting. I've had good and bad luck with coro but my heart wasn't in it. Plywood makes an excellent substrate for mounting stuff and doesn't get beat up as much as coro in storage. However, it can be really fun to carry up onto a roof but is easier to keep up there in high winds thanks mainly to having an easy way to anchor it. My real estate signs are metal instead of coro because they tend to withstand the elements better. Coro if hit with a large impact, like wind, can bend and crease. Plywood can be as problematic if you don't seal the outer edges so water can't get inside and freeze splitting the layers.
    I am excited about seeing you here Al!

I have looked at quite a few wire frames....the pumpkin head looking ones as an example....but didn't want to pull the trigger without asking.

My real estate signs I use for my radio stuff got blown around like crazy.....every night I had to fix em. So the coro concerns me. But they were held up by the flimsy thing metal frames.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by herbaclaus View Post
    I am excited about seeing you here Al!

I have looked at quite a few wire frames....the pumpkin head looking ones as an example....but didn't want to pull the trigger without asking.

My real estate signs I use for my radio stuff got blown around like crazy.....every night I had to fix em. So the coro concerns me. But they were held up by the flimsy thing metal frames.
    Like Mark said the clips for wireframes can be a pain or a blessing. Walter and I used some right angle clips for c9s that were kinda slick (Walter please bring some) for our Walter Stars. I am really ambivalent about those clips. I have 2 custom made wireframes that Doug made for me that I haven't gotten to yet. I want to use LEDs on them but haven't quite decided myself. I use about 6 or 8 different types of wireframe clips with good and bad results. If you remind me I'll tell you a few places that are a little less expensive to buy clips. Oh, remind me to discuss taping the lights on too. A gentleman that used to frequent here named John taught me a lot about wireframe clips. John has used them all and I'm beginning to think so have I. This sounds like a good open discussion topic.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Best Singing Head?

Al
    I got some clips for the Bethlehem star and some parallel and right angle clips from Kellogg's that I can bring if you like.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Al
    I got some clips for the Bethlehem star and some parallel and right angle clips from Kellogg's that I can bring if you like.
    Yep, that would be good. The clips are unusual and would be a great thing for show and tell.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

hmm. Ok thanks. I cant wait for April. You guys ever rope lighted those wire frames? Or too much of a pain to troubleshoot?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

hmm. Ok thanks. I cant wait for April. You guys ever rope lighted those wire frames? Or too much of a pain to troubleshoot?
    Yep and lived to regret it. Rope light can be painful to bend and worse yet when a light goes out it is very difficult to fix the light. Some of the LED ropes are much better longevity wise but the rope, both incandescent and LED, can only be cut at specific points and usually that point is too far or too short where you need it to be. However, you can cover the extra rope with heatshrink, paint, Plastiidip, or electrical tape. Bending the stuff is the hardest part and can break the lights if you go beyond a certain point. Regular lights and clips are a little easier to use and maintain and a wee bit cheaper.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I made this Merry Christmas sign last year out of led rope light. It was very tricky not to break. I did actually break one of the r's and had to redo it. You can see the black tape I have on there to cover up the unwanted area's. The only problem i found was some parts of the tape tried to come off over the summer I guess where it had gotten hot. But i was very pleased at the results when I actually put it in my show this past year. It's 15 channels with 20 strobe lights.

See it here. http://www.christmascarolina.com/for...-complete.html
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is what I did.

I am using a BX-140 geogrid from http://tensarcorp.com that is just over 12 FT x 12 FT. I think the BX line has been replaced with the TX line. Have no idea on cost yet.

Each light is secured to the geogrid by a 4 in cable tie at each point where the lines in the grid meet.

That grid is then mounted/secured to 1 1/4 in PVC frame using cable ties all around the frame and a few places in the middle.

We then added a thin black material to the back side to cut down on the glow of the orange lights on the house.

To keep it standing vertical I used four legs attached to the frame to kick back to the roof line and then used four pieces of rope attached to the house to keep the frame legs tight to the roof.

The whole thing is light enough that I can pick it up with no problem which makes it even easier when I have help.

Another nice benefit is that I can break it all down and store it my garage on a shelf.

Last year during late October we had some pretty bad storms come through with high winds. I do know it will withstand at least 40 mph gusts.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -20130307_113346.jpg   -imag0213.jpg   -imag0482.jpg   -20130307_113248.jpg   -imag0235.jpg  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Best Singing Head?

Quote Originally Posted by IATCUYB View Post
    This is what I did.

I am using a BX-140 geogrid from http://tensarcorp.com that is just over 12 FT x 12 FT. I think the BX line has been replaced with the TX line. Have no idea on cost yet.

Each light is secured to the geogrid by a 4 in cable tie at each point where the lines in the grid meet.

That grid is then mounted/secured to 1 1/4 in PVC frame using cable ties all around the frame and a few places in the middle.

We then added a thin black material to the back side to cut down on the glow of the orange lights on the house.

To keep it standing vertical I used four legs attached to the frame to kick back to the roof line and then used four pieces of rope attached to the house to keep the frame legs tight to the roof.

The whole thing is light enough that I can pick it up with no problem which makes it even easier when I have help.

Another nice benefit is that I can break it all down and store it my garage on a shelf.

Last year during late October we had some pretty bad storms come through with high winds. I do know it will withstand at least 40 mph gusts.

Man that thing is cool. It looks huge.
    Shannon Wood