Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Opinions wanted: X-10 interface

After my CM11A became possessed and died this Blinky Flashy season I'm looking around for the replacement. Any of you folks have any experience or opinions on an interface and possibly software. I was using the orignal activehome software but it is quite limited in abilities and wanted something more reliable.
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Opinions wanted: X-10 interface

Dave, I haven't used a CM11A in at least 6 years, they were always too flakey for me. I use the PCS-05 with the Ocelot

What do you use X10 for?

I use the Ocelot for all of my daily X10 control, but it may be overkill for just a casual user. ex: I walk in my den to an 8 button wall mounted X10 switch, push the button labeled TV, the TV comes on, the surround system turns on and the lights dim to the approriate levels based on the outside illumination (the Ocelot also monitors the outside daylight levels), switches the TV channel to what I normally watch at that time of day and day of week - all by touching one button (the Ocelot also receives and transmits infared signals as well as X10 )

At night I touch the button BED and everything starts tuning off, the light at the foot of the stairs ramps up, the stairway lights ramp up, motion sensor at top of stairs tell Ocelot where I am and the previous lights ramp down, etc.

Use it for ALL of my X10 control. Solid as a brick, and standalone!

If you use a lot of X10, this is the only controller and it's software that I would recommend, let me know and I'll provide more information

EDIT: I talked about the Ocelot, you want reliable? I haven't physically seen my Ocelot module for a least 3 years, it's probably on a back shelf somewhere covered with dust bunnies, but it always just keeps working away!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave,

I have been using an x-10 system for years now. I like it for some things, like turning on my inflatable. Two years ago I actually did an entire indoor christmas light show in my man cave with LOR, a cm11a and 10 modules. It was pretty cool.

My biggest problem was with some of the lights comming on whenever their was an electical storm. It was so unreliable It pushed me into buying some LOR controllers.

If your using it to control some lights (lamps) in your home I would say look on Ebay (if you can find one) for a new CM11A. For my man cave all I use is a remote control to turn everything on and off. It works real well for me in that aplication and envirionment. I have Active home too, but never used it. The remote control is so much more easier, but keep in mind I don't need my outside lights turned on automatically at dusk.

As far as your Christmas display goes, thats your call. Personally I'm scrapping it all together for next year, just too unreliable.

Let me know if you decide to dump Active home and I can hook you up with some remote items I'm not using anymore. I wish I had an extra cm11a for ya, sorry.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave,

If all you are wanting is another CM11A then here is a link for a new one (branded RCA)

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...aces/CM11A-RCA

If you want to consider the advanced X10 capabilities of the Ocelot, here is a link

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...ucts/AD-Ocelot
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

I use the Ocelot for all of my daily X10 control, but it may be overkill for just a casual user. ex: I walk in my den to an 8 button wall mounted X10 switch, push the button labeled TV, the TV comes on, the surround system turns on and the lights dim to the approriate levels based on the outside illumination (the Ocelot also monitors the outside daylight levels), switches the TV channel to what I normally watch at that time of day and day of week - all by touching one button (the Ocelot also receives and transmits infared signals as well as X10 )

At night I touch the button BED and everything starts tuning off, the light at the foot of the stairs ramps up, the stairway lights ramp up, motion sensor at top of stairs tell Ocelot where I am and the previous lights ramp down, etc.

Use it for ALL of my X10 control. Solid as a brick, and standalone!

Holy Cow John, I thought I was a big time user of X-10 till I read all the capacity of the Ocelot. I've been pushing the memory capacity of the CM11A for years without knowing there was a better interface. I may have to look into the Ocelot for this year.

One other question on your pushbutton labeling, do you have one labeled for the ladies, like romance or shake your groove thing or 3rd base?

Just wondering.........

David
    And on the 8th day, God created Christmas lights.

240 Channels of DMX

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes Dave, the Ocelot with it's included C-Max software is very powerful.

Programming is simple using ladder logic.

For example my driveway motion sensors (I use two, on opposite sides of the driveway about 10 ft apart)

If D1 turns on 1st sensor sees motion
    and time is equal to or less then 5 seconds
    and D2 turns on 2nd sensor must also see motion within 5 sec
    then D3 turns on

In this routine, it double checks to prevent false motion sensor trips (caused by clouds, falling leaves, insects in front of the sensor, whatever) by requiring that the second sensor (aimed 180 degrees different on the other side of the driveway) also sees motion within 5 seconds. A person on foot or a vehicle will satisfy the conditions while entering the driveway. But when I pull out of the driveway, D2 sees motion first and nothing happens.

When D3 turns on (D3 is a virtual, not a physical device, just used as a trigger) then the security cameras (two in driveway area) turn on for that zone, the inside security monitors switch to the driveway view, if after dark the outside driveway flood lights turn on, the electronic dog in the garage starts barking, the Ocelot's Speakeasy module (connected to the whole house audio system) announces that someone is in the driveway, sends the alert to the Homeseer Home Automation server which logs the trip, starts the DVR recording, sends me a text msg on my cell phone of the trip, allowing me to remote in to the server and view the realtime video.

So when D3 trips, all kinds of other activities happen based on the X10 D3 condition of being turned on, all from four simple lines of ladder logic code based on IF, THEN, AND, OR statements.

All the approaches to my house have similar sensors and routines.

Just one of the things I use the Ocelot for. Plus the PCS-05 powerline interface is two way (listening and transmitting), and when it transmits, the signal is at least twice as strong as what came out of a puny CM11A module, as measured by my ELK ESM1 X10 signal meter.

I don't know if you use any X10 RF devices like the RR-501 that has a whip antenna plugged into an outlet and is limited to only one house code (another piece of junk in my opinion) but I use the WGL-2800 a super sensitive whole house X10 receiver that listens to all the X10 house codes signals including the X10 security sensor line of products, and can send them to the Ocelot for additional processing. With the WGL-2800 I can get over 200 foot range from a simple X10 key fob.

Plus the Ocelot receives and transmits infared remote commands, say your TV remote control ON button can be seen by the Ocelot and then trigger sending out additional IR signals for the surround sound and other entertainment pieces, X10 signals for lighting control, etc. Or in my case an X10 wall switch triggers the IR and and X10 commands be transmitted.

Can you tell that I like - no LOVE - my Ocelot. HVAC control, lawn irrigation systems, has an 8 relay 8 amps per relay module (plus other add on modules) that can be attached on the Ocelot's RS-485 signal bus line. Almost anything you want to control is possible.

Here is a blurry picture of my den wall switch (didn't get the tripod out)...and no, I don't have a third base label (that's triggered by an end table switch that turns off the TV, starts the CD player, closes the drapes if open and dims the lights even more )

EDIT: link to WGL-2800 receiver http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Home/...vers/WGL-28000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -im000274.jpg  
    Last edited by John; 01-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com