Thread: Wanted: a few LOR CTB16PC controllers.... and a few light linkers

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Wanted: a few LOR CTB16PC controllers.... and a few light linkers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Can I get an external
    E1.31 device to run off the laptop Ethernet connection?
    Yes. Any small router,switch, or hub will do that for you. I ran one line out of my house to the hub in the case under the pixel tree. I had intended to branch from there to the arches and floods but never put them out. You can wire it however you like. I was trying to conserve wire runs. Just get you any old hub, router, or switch. I used some piece of junk no name black thing but am looking to upgrade for 2016.

Denny mentioned a D-Link and there is one of those on Amazon for $17. I'll be picking up a few of these.
    D-Link 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch

Inside the house I use a Netgear but it is more expensive, heavier, and has a metal case.
    NETGEAR GS105 ProSafe 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch

Just to totally confuse you my network topography for this past show year was a little odd (keep in mind this uses a Pi running Falcon Player to run the show). Confusing but this allowed me to test my Sandevices on my laptop inside the house (and on the home network) then take them outside without re-configuring them. I was also able to keep my show and home network separated. When I wanted to 'join' the show network to push updates to the Ras Pi or for other troubleshooting I just had to switch wireless networks on my laptop. There are better ways of doing this with more advanced networking but I was just too lazy to do them. As long as there is no link from your show network to your home network you are good.

Home network 192.168.1.x
    Show network 192.168.1.x
    Link between the two 10.0.0.x

I plugged a Netgear wireless router to my home network (192.168.1.x) and then set it up to be a DHCP server for the 10.0.0.x ranges. Connected the Raspberry Pi's wireless to the Netgear but configured the Pi's wired port to 192.168.1.x. Sandevices were set to Unicast and configured to a 192.168.1.x address. All the show traffic then stayed on the other side of the wireless 10.0.0.x link to my home network. I could connect with my laptop or phone to the Netgear wireless and then to the Pi to make sequence changes, real time starts/stops, and check status. Also the Pi has no internal clock so it has to be able to get to the internet or you have to put a RTC module on the board. Unless configured the Pi automatically keeps the 192 and 10 networks separate.

Sandevices E1.31 & DMX (LOR ) <----> Ras Pi Wired <----> Ras Pi Wireless <----> Netgear router <----> Home Router <----> My Laptop

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ya know I made that way more complicated of an answer than it needed to be. You can come out of your laptop and go directly to a hub/switch/router, your E1.31 bridge, or even straight to a single Sandevices or other E1.31 controller.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

yes my e1.31 is run on a separate either net card because i use this computer while the show is running this way the e 1.31 does not interfere with my dsl speed but i do have my mixer set so no internet sounds are broadcast over my edm also all ways make sure your microphone is muted don t want to broadcast internal home discussions an open mic laying on a desk top is a bad thing the e1.31 signal go s to a powered 5 port switch from there it splits to 4 sandevices 684s and i 682
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I run my show from an older laptop. It has an Ethernet jack, but I'm not using it (I connect to Internet wirelessly when needed).

So, if the built in network jack will work- that would be great. Can I get an external
    E1.31 device to run off the laptop Ethernet connection?
    Short answer - Yes.