Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default FM Transmitter

I'm looking for an FM transmitter for my Christmas Lights light display. I never owned one so I don't know much about it. I wanna be able to transmit for couple of block around the house.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: FM Transmitter

Dariusz,

Just get the Ramsey FM25B like Denny and I have and the antenna that Al, Denny and I have. Set your station to 92.1 here in Raleigh and hope you don't get overrun by Denny (since you live close). Another fm25B link at a better price and in stock.

Obviously, you don't have to do these items, but I don't suggest reinventing the wheel at this time of year....
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

At: http://shop.christmasincruces.com/pr...3&categoryId=2
    this guy will assemble it for you for $30 bucks extra. Sure beats the time of assembly especially considering I'm not good at circuitry. His site says back ordered but I called him last week and he was putting some together and sending out.

I currently use a MobileBlackBox, work fairly good especially if you can get the antenna 8-10' in the air; I'm getting 1/4 mile or so. I ordered the Ramsey and antenna to step it up but will keep the MobileBlackBox as my back-up.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yea, I had them assemble mine this summer when I bought mine, too. Call them Dariusz! Get on the list now so that when they're available, you can get it pretty quickly.

I mounted my antenna on a 3' piece of copper pipe and stuck it in the top of the downspout on my roof. Nothing permanent. No holes in the siding or roof makes wife happy! And it still works awesome. I probably get about a 1/4 mile, too. Even with my cheap RG-6 cable...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Scott's FM system works very nice. You enter his housing area about 1/4 mile from his house and his FM cuts in real nice near the entry.

Scott, I really enjoyed your songs and very nice announcements too. I will be sure to come back later this year to see some more "stuff" ! I still suggest a pair of speakers on your front porch !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Yea, I had them assemble mine this summer when I bought mine, too. Call them Dariusz! Get on the list now so that when they're available, you can get it pretty quickly.

I mounted my antenna on a 3' piece of copper pipe and stuck it in the top of the downspout on my roof. Nothing permanent. No holes in the siding or roof makes wife happy! And it still works awesome. I probably get about a 1/4 mile, too. Even with my cheap RG-6 cable...
    I hope you don't have a Ramsey because if you do you are playing with fire mismatching the antenna. You heard it here first. The EDM will shut off when mismatched not the Ramsey. ♠

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the links. I might go with Ramsey if I can get it by next week.

Dariusz

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks, I just bought it from the link on ebay.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I hope you don't have a Ramsey because if you do you are playing with fire mismatching the antenna. You heard it here first. The EDM will shut off when mismatched not the Ramsey. ♠
    Al,
    Which part of Scott's post concerns you with the mismatch? I certainly don't want to screw anything up. I am planning to use the Ramsey with the antenna you have. Will that be a problem?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Austin,

Al's worried about the juice it puts outs out, I think. Something about it could mess up the Ramsey board if all the conditions were right. There was another thread about it from this summer that I started, I think.

I've had my setup working with 25' of RG-6 cable to my antenna and the Ramsey for over a week now with no issues yet. I mounted my antenna onto a 3' piece of copper pipe and stuck it in the downspout on my roof. Far from anything fancy. I get reception about a 1/4 mile or so without a problem. Put an amp on it and I'd cover the whole neighborhood easily!

Let me know if you have other questions!
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The concern that I have is that the Ramsey's don't have a shutdown mechanism for the RF power that is reflected back into the transmitter which is called standing waves. Ideally you would want no standing waves but that is impossible. Impedance mismatches cause the standing wave ratio to go up and more power is reflected back into the transmitter than what is transmitted off the antenna. When the power is great enough is blows up the amplifiers that are on the transmitter. Some radios like the EDM have a mechanism to shut down the power amplifier when the reflected power is too great. Ramsey's do not have that function whereas EDMs do. If you disconnect the cable to the antenna while the transmitter is on, then the power is almost 100% reflected back into the radio and boom goes the amplifier on the Ramsey. I have read a few instances of people screwing up their Ramsey's doing just that. Another way to reflect power back into the radio is to have an impedance mismatch caused from a poorly tuned antenna. If the antenna is not tuned to the proper frequency then you will get greater reflected power and how much is dependent on the mismatch. Using a gutter or a piece of wire not to a certain length could make the Ramsey blow up.

I have seen quite a few sites that give instructions on building monopole or dipole antenna, so I won't get into it here. It is best practice to have a properly tuned antenna and limit its height from the ground to control the transmittal distance. Detuning the antenna will limit the distance but blow up the transmitter.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is this to say that the antenna should be mounted to a non-metal pole so that it will be tuned properly? When I received the antenna it came with a pole mounting bracket. Since I have the Ramsey, would I be best to use PVC or the like?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I did make sure that I tuned mine as well as I could before I mounted it. It's within about a 1/16th of an inch from where it should be. (hard to measure .00x inches with just a tape measure)

I used the 1/4 wave button to get the measurement from a place I found on the web. I think it worked pretty well. Other search results made me do the math. I got the same results with the manual measurements I tried, too. After all, it's on the web so it must be true, right?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by aproctor View Post
    Is this to say that the antenna should be mounted to a non-metal pole so that it will be tuned properly? When I received the antenna it came with a pole mounting bracket. Since I have the Ramsey, would I be best to use PVC or the like?
    Nope. I have mine mounted to a black iron pipe.

Ssgt. Blinky, to you! cpnbnanamn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have a ramsey FM30B... Just built a half-wave dipole, and it works perfectly! Right now, it's inside my house next to the window, but that's only because I haven't felt like crawling into the attic, yet. I think I managed to get it to within about 1/32nd of what the math says... I've got an SWR meter, but couldn't find my adapters to go from BNC to PL259...
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.