Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default mini-tree prep work

I've posted some info in my blog this weekend, but have some questions there that I'd like to get y'all's help with so I'm posting them here so solicit more responses...

So any good tips on what to do or not do when putting together mini-trees for the first time? These instructions at PC seem to be the "average" set of instructions that I have found. Everyone else does them about the same. Any further hints and tips to make sure to watch out for?

I basically understand that I should take the bottom ring off the cages, go up about 4-6 inches, and start stringing the lights. I also need to make sure I wire tie the top three stakes together for the top of the tree. And I'm supposed to wire tie the first layer every chance I get to the cage, and then every now and then for the rest of the layers. I've heard something about problems with the trees when you stake them to the ground as the lights then ground out in the snow/rain. Any comments on that? Do I need to paint the cages before I run the lights so they don't rust over the years?

I did get one suggestion - to start from the top of the tree instead of the bottom so you can ork on the density of lights at the top of the tree early in the process.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!
    - Scott M.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: mini-tree prep work

The turntable in the pictures is a nice thing to have. I used the wreath easels and it worked out fine. The spikey ends help to hold them in place. The easels are available at Michael's and are pre-painted.

I have yet to have any problems with the minis. I have 48 of them. I ended the light strings about 6" from the ground. I used small, black, UV protected cable ties to hold the stuff in place.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I built a turntable out of a lazy susan and some boards. And have strung several mini trees - some out of easels, some out of tomato cages. Cable ties are your friend, and the more you use, the strings will stay in place better.

I was planning to build 20-30 of these last year, but didn't get to them. Now I have R, G and W LEDs sets from CDI, so I guess I better get started for this year.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I used two tomato cages stack on top of one another. I then get a piece of copper tubing I believe 3/8 inch inside diameter about 2 inches long. I flatten one end of the tubing and drill a 5/16 hole in it. The hole is used for hanging the cages up during the off season. Can also be used for mounting small star on top of tree. The other end is inserted on the top stakes and solder in place. I wrap lights on the cages using red, white, green, and blue lights (120 lights each). I leave the bottom ring on and no problem with tripping breakers last year.

Thomas