Thread: Mega-Trees & Freezing Rain

wbottomley

Default Mega-Trees & Freezing Rain

I figure this would be a great topic to start.

Freezing rain and mega-trees don't mix very well.

In figuring up the weight on one strand of lights with a 1/4" to 1/2" of ice coating them.

One strand is 25 feet long... so five gallons of water to cover it. The extra weight of that strand would be 40 lbs. Multiply that by 24 and you get 960 lbs.

An extra thousand pounds would be enough to collapse the tree center pole unless it's a large one.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mega-Trees & Freezing Rain

Glad to know you are putting all that science and meterolgy training to good use, William.

After seeing ice bring down huge oak trees a few years ago, I would agree that the megatree would loose the ice coating battle.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mega-Trees & Freezing Rain

William,
    One of these days I'm going to have to come out to your place and see how you have your megatree's setup with the ability to raise/lower the light strings.

I agree that the extra weight of the ice can cause issues. However, I think it depends on how well you have the tree/pole guy wired. If the load is balanced, then the pole shouldn't have a problem staying up. However, if there is significant wind or unbalanced pressure from the side, then, yes, you'd have a potential for failure.

I haven't taken the plunge to have a tree taller than 10-12', and probably won't go that route in my current location. If/when I move, I'll seriously consider some type of flagpole with a sleeve in the ground.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!