Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default MegaTree 45 Degrees

I think I have designed a new style of MegaTree. It will be at a 45 degree angle. I'm stuck, can't get it any higher by myself. I think maybe part of my problem is the Star weighs right at 40 pounds, and the other problem is I'm an old man and weaker then I used to be. Unless I can get it up, I'll decorate as is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -im000175.jpg   -im000178.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: MegaTree 45 Degrees

Got a riding mower/garden tractor? Hook a cable to it and the tree, and use it to pull it up. If you don't, I'll be happy to demonstrate your tree in my yard using my garden tractor!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I don't know how soon you need it up but I will be in the Rome area come Friday if you need any help. Chattanooga isn't that far away.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Craig. If I can't find some muscle by then, I'll take you up on your offer. Rome is about 50 miles south of me, I'm only 1 mile off I-75 at exit 5 in Tennessee.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dont tell Al but if I could make it there and back in one day I would help you!
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Jack,

Unfortunately the pulling direction is only about 8 feet to the neighbors fence, not enough room for that. I did loop a pull rope at the top in addition to the guy wires. Might be able to use a winch unless I can locate a couple of muscle men to help me.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Dont tell Al but if I could make it there and back in one day I would help you!
    Yea, just exactly what I need Walter, young muscle!

One day would have been easy until the rock slide on I-40 at the North Carolina / Tennessee line a couple of weeks ago. They're saying three months to get the interstate back open.

The next easyist detour route was US HWY 64, from just west of Asheville, NC but a rock slide last week about 40 miles from me closed it for about 3 weeks.

The only other decent route from Raleigh would be through Atlanta, then North up I-75. Round tripping in one day would make a very long drive.

I do appreciate the thought and offer though, Walter. Hey, why don't you just move to Chattanooga, I can teach you more stuff then Al ever even knew! And you can inherit all my stuff in just a few years!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jack,

..... unless I can locate a couple of muscle men to help me.
    Found them for you. Just let me know if doesn't quite work out for you in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -village_people.jpg  

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by IATCUYB View Post
    Found them for you. Just let me know if doesn't quite work out for you in the end.
    Wow, what a blast from the past!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, well, well. You're having pole problems. I heard from the grape vine you did. First, you can't have Walter. Walter was taunting you. Kind of like the slinging cows in The Holy Grail.

If you want my advice you could try oysters and soft music. If that doesn't work in the end you could use The Village People. Get it in the end? Oh man I just broke my joker. Deb, my loving wife, just said that these guys could help.:http://omglarry.files.wordpress.com/...age-people.jpg

It took a few minutes but I stopped laughing. Let's be serious for a moment. I thought you made a knuckle for that thing. Use your mechanical advantage. You know this crap likely better than me. Use a 2"x4" to push it up. Or better yet, a 10' step ladder and pull it up using the guy wires. Oh man I just started laughing again. Use the guy wires to pull it up.

I have to stop now. Craig started this don't blame me. I too will be near your location Friday. Call my cell and I will rescue or taunt you depending on how much time I have.
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 11-15-2009 at 10:02 PM.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Stop the presses. I just found a solution.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Let's be serious for a moment. I thought you made a knuckle for that thing. Use your mechanical advantage. You know this crap likely better than me. Use a 2"x4" to push it up. Or better yet, a 10' step ladder and pull it up using the guy wires.
    Thanks Al,

It's on a hinged knuckle.

The thing is sitting on top of a ten foot step ladder now. I started with a 6 ft step ladder, then climbed it and slid an 8 ft step ladder under it, climbed that one while lifting it and managed to get the ten footer under it. Trying to get it high enough to finish pulling it up. Have a lot of weight on the top with that 40 pound star to counter.

Tomorrows another day.

BTW, tell Deb I don't need anymore people like that to try to help. My gosh, they look to be in worse shape then me!

I did try the other method you posted, only I used a trombone since I didn't have an Indian flute thingy. It didn't work on the pole, but the guy lines were waving around like crazy!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

A friend had his 17 year old son stop by after school today. I climbed the ladder, lifted the pole to about a 30 degree angle, then Mike was able to use the pull rope to finish getting into the upright position. Took about 3 minutes.

So some muscle did show up (and it wasn't the Village People)

Now to get the 128 strings of LEDs on it, and wired to the controllers. That's tomorrows project (one of them)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm glad to hear you got the main pole up ! I am not sure if you have any trees available nearby. I was able to get my 21 foot pole up by throwing a rope over a tree branch from the top of the pole. Then my 11 year old son pulled the rope from about 100 feet away. The tree branch was high enough to give him leverage, while I lifted and moved myself towards the middle. One thing I didn't do that I will do next time is put a safety rope on the opposite side. Once I had the pole upright, it scraped the crap out of me when it would lean in my son's direction (with nothing to stop it from falling).

It seems like there a need for some invention with these poles. I was most worried once the pole was up, but not yet attached. At the time I wished I had some kind of swing out "safety legs" once the pole was upright. The best system would probably be hydraulic, but I see lots of problems with that idea. Particularly cost ! Also the hydraulic unit could possibly be in the way of the controllers of PVC support frame.

I love the challenge of this stuff ! .... for now :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    One thing I didn't do that I will do next time is put a safety rope on the opposite side. Once I had the pole upright, it scraped the crap out of me when it would lean in my son's direction (with nothing to stop it from falling).

It seems like there a need for some invention with these poles.
    :-)
    Thanks Denny,

Unfortunately I didn't have anything to toss the pull rope over, so I had to get it lifted to about a 30 degree angle first. It was just more then one person could do by myself. I have an electric winch that I will use next year, just need to cement in an anchor mount for it during the off season.

Once the pole swung up, it locked into the knuckle pocket, the only way it could go was back the way it came, but with Mike holding the pull rope,(for stability) I had plenty of time to get the bottom bolt in. Of course, securing the guy wires was the next priority before a gust of wind came up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p3310072.jpg  
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com