Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Best way to attach lights to tree top

Last year I had a very small mega tree and since there wasnt a lot of weight pulling down from the top, I just put the hooks (at the top of the tree) between the two wires going into the plug on the light string. I think it may "crimp" them too much if I do it on my 15 foot tree. Do you zip tie the strings or make a loop? Or is there another technique.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Best way to attach lights to tree top

I use two cable ties. One is made into a 1" or so open loop. I then use the other cable tie to secure the loop to the string. The string is suspended by the first cable tie.

For you guys with really tall megatrees, this helps to put the strings up. You will likely be able to buy it at Lowe's. It is lightweight and has the best hooks on the end. A tall step ladder helps too. I use a 10' step ladder and this pole. Also, I have a Walter. If you don't have a Walter get yourself this pole. The link is below.
    Amazon.com: Christmas Light #97430 11' Tele Pole/Adapter: Kitchen & Dining

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I read on another "how-to" web site to use a pool vacuum pole, with a wire coat hanger formed into a hook to hang the lights. After lifting the weight of the static-display megatree with only 16 strings of lights last year, I'm not going to do that with the 32 strings I'll have this year. I have the pool pole already.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

All this "pole talk" ... that's why I fell in love with the mega-tree hardware at ChristmasLightShow.com I just crank up my 64 strings with a trailer winch .. and let em back down easily with the winch, in case of service (which is highly likely because I am using the inexpensive mini bulb sets). And I really need to add how incredibly reliable CLS is about shipping. You place and order, they ship, you get your parts. Just that simple.

As for the house, I bought a house with a very low pitch roof so I can walk around on it. I don't even have gutters .. just deflectors near the edges. I still don't go any closer than about 8 feet from the edges tho !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control