Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Ideas to decorate a row of pine trees

My house sits on a corner lot and I have a row of 8 pine trees on my back property line and 4 trees at a right angle to them on the side yard property line. This way they form the shape of an L. Each tree is about 7' wide at the base and 17' tall. Does anybody have any ideas how I should decorate them? Previously I have wrapped them in lights. The problem with that is they have grown together at the base. It is also very time consuming and takes a lot of lights. I have thought about doing some vertical strings like a 180 degree tree or doing a simple zigzag up each tree. I have also thought about just hanging a single big star on each tree in the middle with no other lights. In my sequences these usually form a chase since there are 8. Any other thoughts on how to quickly put these lights on is appreciated. See the pictures below.
    -image.jpg-image.jpg
    Last edited by kidcole; 08-08-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Ideas to decorate a row of pine trees

I think you could wrap strings loosely around them in a spiral. While sometimes it can look bad, with that many trees it would actually look good. The spirals end up being about 3-4' apart as you go down the tree. And they wouldn't take that long to do, esp if you had one person on each side of the tree and tossed the string to each other. Towards the bottom, just do what you can to pull the lights through the tree branches. You can still get a good effect on them. And just do each tree individually. If you get more than that on each one, it might get kinda crazy to set up (both physically and on the computer).
    - Scott M.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Ideas to decorate a row of pine trees

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    My house sits on a corner lot and I have a row of 8 pine trees on my back property line and 4 trees at a right angle to them on the side yard property line. This way they form the shape of an L. Each tree is about 7' wide at the base and 17' tall. Does anybody have any ideas how I should decorate them? Previously I have wrapped them in lights. The problem with that is they have grown together at the base. It is also very time consuming and takes a lot of lights. I have thought about doing some vertical strings like a 180 degree tree or doing a simple zigzag up each tree. I have also thought about just hanging a single big star on each tree in the middle with no other lights. In my sequences these usually form a chase since there are 8. Any other thoughts on how to quickly put these lights on is appreciated. See the pictures below.
    -image.jpg-image.jpg

Three strings of lights on each one would look nice. All three joining at the top and running straight down to the bottom. Then if you have a lot of channels put each string on one channel. 24 channels total. Or if you only want to use 3 channels (for all the trees combined), then join all the common strings for each tree into a common channel. There are a decent number of effect you can do with three. Over time you could add more strings and more channels.

Or one channel per tree would work. Use two strings about 20 ft long. Join them at the top and drop them down like a wedge. Then cross them both to the middle to make a fake bottom about 3 or 4 feet off the ground, then where they corss in the middle, take the remaining light from both strings straight down together, or maybe about 12" apart, so it looks like a tree trunk.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 with multiple Falcon Pi Players

256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX, 2 E681 & 4 E6804 Sandevices, 1 PiCap Falcon Controller,
    Mighty Mini RGB Spots, Pixel Strips, Pixel Nodes, CoroFlakes with Pixel Modules, 10" RGB Ornaments, 2 pixel matrix 16x25,
    TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Pixel RGB RBLs, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control