Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default mega tree

A few questions for my 1'st mega tree...Reading all kinds of info and now it's time to understand what I am reading...any help from the pro's will be greatly appreciated.

1) 15' tree "Holdman Style" I figured the base ring to be 7.5' Diameter based on half the height of the tree? Mega tree shows 11.14 Diameter?
    2) Using the Walmart red/green Mini LED's 16 ft length 16 Red/16 green
    3) white incandescent for the Spirals
    4) dedicated 24 channels plus 6-8 for Spiral...Not sure on the Wedge/slice and how that works...I want to be able to do the spotlight effect?
    5) I was going to go up one side with a set and then back down on the exact opposite side based on the length of the light strings.
    6) string spacing shows 1.09 but not sure if that s correct based on the base diameter showing me 1.09?

What else am I missing...I have a design idea but limited to height based on reachability and amount of lights I have...

Any ideas?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: mega tree

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    A few questions for my 1'st mega tree...Reading all kinds of info and now it's time to understand what I am reading...any help from the pro's will be greatly appreciated.

1) 15' tree "Holdman Style" I figured the base ring to be 7.5' Diameter based on half the height of the tree? Mega tree shows 11.14 Diameter?
    2) Using the Walmart red/green Mini LED's 16 ft length 16 Red/16 green
    3) white incandescent for the Spirals
    4) dedicated 24 channels plus 6-8 for Spiral...Not sure on the Wedge/slice and how that works...I want to be able to do the spotlight effect?
    5) I was going to go up one side with a set and then back down on the exact opposite side based on the length of the light strings.
    6) string spacing shows 1.09 but not sure if that s correct based on the base diameter showing me 1.09?

What else am I missing...I have a design idea but limited to height based on reachability and amount of lights I have...

Any ideas?
    I will take a stab at some of your questions.

1) Did you mean 11.14 in Circumference? For a 7.5' base diameter, I get a circumference of 23.55 feet (3/14 x 7.5) or 282.6 inches. From there just divide the 283 inches is number of inches by the number of strings of light strings you will install.
    2) OK
    3) Very OK
    4) The Spotlight effect is a software function. And a "slice" can be one string of lights or a group of lights. When you group them and make them move from one side to the other, that creates the spotlight effect. And don't forget the inverse spotlight where the lights are on but you move and "off" group around.
    5) That idea is good for saving channels but I am not a big fan of that technique if you have the channels. I recommend using two strings per channel to have better light density too ..
    6) Your string spacing should be wider now, with the 282.6 inch circumference.

I like having the ring up about 30 inches and having the lights fold under to create the bottom of the tree and the "base" of the tree. But it is a lot more work to do this.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control