Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default 10,000 RGB Pixels, 30,000 channels

From our friends at Response Box. Buy them HERE

I expect William to use these on his 4 big megatrees next year!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: 10,000 RGB Pixels, 30,000 channels

So what's the minimum number of strings to do something cool? If I'm looking at this right, 50 strings would run about $6600 with power supply, etc. While that's QUITE a budget for a single item in a show, it would be SOOOOOO cool...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Disney is always one step ahead of us.

Edit. Sorry I see its Seaworld... hard to believe they are ahead of us. lol

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My first guess was Disney too.
    Christmas 2014 No show this year
    Facebook - Cadman Christmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Since you can't see through these trees there must be some "black hole" material on the inside. Logistically, programing aside, I see hanging and keeping the opaque material behind the lights esp. during high wind situations to be the major hurdle to overcome.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by thyno View Post
    No, not Galaxia. They are from Response Box (Stellascapes)
    http://response-box.com/rgb/2010-node-store/
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Waxhaw Larry View Post
    Since you can't see through these trees there must be some "black hole" material on the inside. Logistically, programing aside, I see hanging and keeping the opaque material behind the lights esp. during high wind situations to be the major hurdle to overcome.
    My thoughts are they are not megatrees like we build, but large real or artificial trees, similar to this one that Andrew from Response Box / Stellascapes did for Federation Square Mall in Melborne. You can see the needles on the branches during the close ups. Uses 64 strings, with 42 pixels per string.

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is Andrews (Response Box/StellaScapes) own home this year. I love the "Simulated Spot Lights" about 1 minute in the video. Got to get me some og this technology. You can do anything with it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/mrpacket.../2/49bTway7Bis
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wow, Andrew's place is also quite packed with pixels. I wonder how many ? I love the pinwheel. But the house lights also show that software has a long way to go if we want more precision programming. There is a huge difference between the pinwheel with it's precision effects compared with the house and yard that are not as precise. I don't mind the random and spotlight effects for some of the time. But I would also want more precision (most of the time)...

Perhaps we will be making flat art drawings in the future and then importing them into the software to fill the grids with the "look" that we want ? From there we should be able to substitute colors and effects into the grids that we drew. Has anyone considered this <yet> ? It would be the flat art equivalent of importing a video .. but creating more uniform shapes to apply to your pixel grids .. This would be my preference...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Wow, Andrew's place is also quite packed with pixels. I wonder how many ? I love the pinwheel. But the house lights also show that software has a long way to go if we want more precision programming. There is a huge difference between the pinwheel with it's precision effects compared with the house and yard that are not as precise. I don't mind the random and spotlight effects for some of the time. But I would also want more precision (most of the time)... Denny, when Andrew posted the video, he stated it was just "selected" shots from his opening night show. As I understand it, (and based on stuff he has previously posted) he takes a bunch on "random" video clips, then adds some music for the whole video. So you probably were not hearing the music that the effects were actually sequenched to. He also usually uses Mandrix (I think) Software for the lighting control About a $1500 program.

Perhaps we will be making flat art drawings in the future and then importing them into the software to fill the grids with the "look" that we want ? From there we should be able to substitute colors and effects into the grids that we drew. Has anyone considered this <yet> ? It would be the flat art equivalent of importing a video .. but creating more uniform shapes to apply to your pixel grids .. This would be my preference..
    How about NO GRIDS! How about 3D modeling of the display? If Gustavo gets Prancer developed, and released next year, sequencing will be a entirely new game. Just drawing your display on your house picture, with the music waveform and dropping in your 3D display items?

I think next year will be a milestone in hardware and software technology.

Here is a video of the sequence/visualizer screen (there is only one screen) of Prancer and on the right video of Gustavo's house running one of the sequences he created this year in Prancer.

John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

I will have one tree fully in pixels.

It will not be one of the four I have now... but number five.
    Likes LightsonBeasley liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    I will have one tree fully in pixels.

It will not be one of the four I have now... but number five.
    All Right! I just knew you would!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Carl B Zachary

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think next year will be a milestone in hardware and software technology.

Here is a video of the sequence/visualizer screen (there is only one screen) of Prancer and on the right video of Gustavo's house running one of the sequences he created this year in Prancer.
    So John where do we find Prancer to download it?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Carl B Zachary View Post
    So John where do we find Prancer to download it?
    It's not released yet, Carl. It is still in Alpha 1 stage. Alpha 2 should be released to Alpha testers in February, with a general Beta release by summer. My understanding is the program will be free. It is only a GUI for sequencing, will output its files in either Vixen or LOR format for running the shows.

The first announcement of it's creation was made on August 23, 2010. Gustavo had this to say about Prancer:

What is Prancer.
    Prancer is a sequencing software that allows creating sequences in a very interactive way. With the explosion of channels now is not uncommon see displays with more than 300 channels, if the trend continues soon 500+ channels displays will become a standard, currently softwares manage individual channels on a very short time slice from 25 to 100ms known as “The Grid”, that means the user must select levels of intensity for every channel several dozen times per second, for example a 3 minutes song with 300 channels and with 25 ms frames will have (3*60) * 300 * (1000/25) = 2,160,000 possible intensities to be set. The work may be tedious and may take days or weeks to finish one sequence.

Prancer tries to abstract from “The Grid”, in fact there is no grid, instead the user focuses in "what he wants" and not in "how has to be done", it uses a full 3D engine where the user can set objects called “devices” on a 3D space and select effects for that devices, devices can interact with each other and effects can affect one or many devices.

Sequencing hardware is advancing faster than software and we need software that can handle thousand channels in a very easy way, Prancer goals is to fill that gap and allow creating sequences in a very easy and fun way.

Is this Vaporware? Don't know. We do know that one house is using it for this years display. I hope it is refined and released. It seems to be really promising, if it is ever really released.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com