Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Mega tree design help needed

Well, it's time for me to start on my 2 mini mega trees. I bought my 100 ct mini lights this week and the box says 24.5 feet long on the strings. My question is: Is there a way to calculate my center pole height to maximize my string length? Then there is the matter of the circumference of my base. I was thinking a 10 foot pole, but would that make my tree too fat? Is fat good? When I saw Denny's 20 footer last year, proportionatly it was perfect to me, not too fat not too skinny.

I can always go the route of throw em up with a 10 foot center pole, get the look I like and ball up the extra lights at the top or base, but it would be nice to maximize my lights.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Mega tree design help needed

Victor -

http://pittsborochristmas.com/ - my 10' tree with Walmart 22.5' strings, run to the ground after being doubled (50 lights up, 50 lights down)

I'm not unhappy with the results, although it could be a bit more slim.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My first tree was with a 10' pole with the Walmart 23.5' strings and it was too fat. The rule is generally a diameter that is 1/2 the height. What I do is plug in various heights and solve for the diameter with the equation 2 * SQRT(C^2 - A^2) where C is the length of your light string (23.5 / 2 = 11.75) and A is the height. So for 23.5' strings a height of 11' gives a diameter of 8.26 which is a ratio of .75, but 11.5' height gives a diameter of 4.82 which is a ratio of .42 so somewhere in between is best. I used a block of wood under the 11' pole to give me an extra 2.5" and it came out looking pretty good.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Jack's idea is the simplest works great for small trees. And really gives you the most bang for your time. It's a lot of extra time and cost to make the small tree have the full tree shape (with a bottom and a trunk) .. But by having a bottom and trunk you can get the classic slim look ..

My 21 footer has a PVC outer ring about 24" above the ground, with the lights tucked over the ring and into the middle to form the "bottom" of the tree. Then a pair of smaller inside rings so the last of the lights drop down to form the "trunk" of the tree. With my system any extra light length can be easily doubled up in the "trunk" area. The down side of this type of design is an extensive amount of work to make a frame to hold the outer and inner rings. I also added an extra touch by making my inner rings about 4 or 5 inches lower than the outer ring so the bottom of the tree slants down a little as it droops toward the trunk.

If I were to make a 10' version of mine I would probably make the outer ring about 18" off the ground and the trunk portion only about a foot off the ground. I would double the lights as jack mentions. But if they run short, then you could adjust the middle portion at the top, so the plug end has a single run for the trunk portion. It would not be noticeable that the last little stretch of lights were not double under the tree. This way you can adjust them to exactly fit. I hope this makes sense. If you want to come by the house one of these days, I could show you how I made the PVC snap "Ts" to hold the outer ring and tree frame. I believe I stole my design from DIYC, except I made my own snap "Ts" on the bandsaw rather than buying them. We could make you some if you go this route...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dave wrote:
    So for 23.5' strings a height of 11' gives a diameter of 8.26 which is a ratio of .75, but 11.5' height gives a diameter of 4.82 which is a ratio of .42 so somewhere in between is best.
    Dave, In my mind I was thinking somewhere around 11' feet is going to give me the look I'm after. It's funny that your mathmatical equations proves that. I calculated the circumference of the base to be around 25'.

So I'm going to get a 50' roll of 3/4 pex, cut it in half and that can be the base. With a 10 foot center pole, that would leave an extra 2 feet of light string to wrap the base. Elevate the base 1 foot off the ground and that's an 11' pole.

Thanks for the inspiration guys, I think I'm getting closer to creating the look I want.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

MegaTreeCalculator.zip

Vic,

Here is a MegaTree calculator. It does all the work, and lets you see how the final shape of the tree looks, even calculates the spacing of the lights on the base ringon the base ring
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    For your 21' tree, how wide is your largest bottom ring?
    I got my pole and Bethlehem Star up today, 24.5' tree + 6.5' star. I'm just kinda figuring this out as I go.
    Not sure how wide the base will end up (I do not plan to have the raise base), how many lights will end up on it, etc. etc. etc.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My mega tree ring is about 9.6 feet in diameter. It was made by connecting three 10 foot sections of 1" gray electrical conduit. The ends of the 10' sections were pre-flared, so I slipped them altogether to form the ring, then put one setscrew in each joint to hold it. I will attach a pic of the mega-tree frame which simply snaps together. I also measured my inside frame and it turns out my outer ring sits at 28" off the ground. I think with the outer ring a little high, it gives the slim look.

You will also notice my "trunk" rings in the daylight photo. They are the smaller white CPVC pipe near the center.

the night shot makes the mega tree look like it has some bulbs out, but that was just from some tree branches ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_8728.jpg   -1011091823.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is a MegaTree calculator
    Thanks John, this was what I was looking for. It even let me see the shape of the tree before hand.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,

How many strings of light did you use on your tree. I'm concerned about having a full enough look to mine.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mine is 32 channels and 64 100-bulb strings of lights (two strings per channel). I use four colors so I don't have quite as smooth of a look as some trees. I am happy with it tho.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Vic, I plan on 4 colors with 48 of each color if the tree will hold it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm using 1 100 ct string per channel (16) on a 10' tree, I hope that's enough?
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

One color and 16 channels would give a nice smooth look with the movement of the lights. I use 8 channels per color and it's still pretty good. So you could do two colors (white and red) with 8 channels each color, and get more interesting patterns.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It will be fine. My first year I had 16 white strings on my 20' tree. It was beautiful. Yours will be too. Do you know how to make a bunfoot tree topper to hang the strings?