View Poll Results: How many minutes of music do you have planned for 2012?

Voters
15. (You need to login to vote)
  • 0 - 15 Minutes

7 46.67%
  • 15 - 30 Minutes

1 6.67%
  • 30 - 45 Minutes

6 40.00%
  • 45 - 60 Minutes

1 6.67%
  • 60+ Minutes

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Runtime of Programmed Shows

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Total Runtime of Programmed Shows

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddy View Post
    I find a High impact, high energy mix gets the best results for me, i discovered in previous years that any slow songs is when people would drive away.
    Yes, you are on a good point Eddy. Slow songs are a good way to point out the end of the show. Since we are in the Bible Belt here in North Carolina, it was recommended that I have one religious song in my show. So I combined the religious song with my wife's request to have one song where all the lights are on. And it's the last song in the show. When all the lights come on it signals the parked cars to clear out. It works pretty well. Also during that song the "foot traffic" like to chat with each other and point at things around the yard. And a good time to take pictures. I make some slight fades and color changes in that song, but not much. Just to change up the look a little.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny brings up a good point. I have spoken to lots of folks about the songs that I picked for my display. From those discussions, I have found most people want religious songs but most also want songs normally associated with Christmas or what they consider associated with Christmas. I have yet to pick a song for sequencing that is played in the same manner as "the songs I heard as a kid". An example would be Jingle Bells sung by a traditional artist; instead, I picked an artist that played Jingle Bells but overlayed and integrated a salsa beat played on flamenco guitars. The version of Jingle Bells I picked was beautiful. Ten, twenty, or thirty times the number of people that complained about my music selection have stated they love the unusual music mix. The decision to use my style of music simply means that if I don't want to listen to the song 500 times during the sequencing process, then you can be assured that I won't pick it, as such I don't pick traditional renditions. Through the years I heard a few people complain that the music "...was nice but it doesn't give them the Christmas spirit" like the traditional artists "give them", whereas I usually tell them in a nice manner to listen to their music on the radio. This is a hobby and should bring oneself joy and satisfaction in most of the planning and execution. When this hobby becomes a drudgery and a chore for me, then I will give it up. My display is meant as a gift --a very expensive gift--to the world. I use religious songs because I believe Christmas is a religious time and because I like the songs.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    This is a hobby and should bring oneself joy and satisfaction in most of the planning and execution. When this hobby becomes a drudgery and a chore for me, then I will give it up. My display is meant as a gift --a very expensive gift--to the world. I use religious songs because I believe Christmas is a religious time and because I like the songs.
    Very well put Al. It's like anything else. If it's not fun and it doesn't bring you satisfaction, why do it. Christmas is about the birth of Christ. Gifts are given to emulate the Magi bringing gifts to baby Jesus. The lights are our gift to anyone who wants to come and enjoy the show.
    2014 Specs: 11,739 Channels of RGB Basic and Intelligent pixels. 5216 Total RGB, LEDs
    WebSite: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....istmasLightShow Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user12233488

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hi Guys, sorry I have not been on in a while, but I think a lot of you know why !!
    I have been so,so,so,so, busy getting this show moved to our new location. The town
    government has passed everything and we are getting ready.

This has been a great topic and as Jack mention, everyone has a different situation which
    I have played with a lot of different show timings. I am still keeping my showes around 35 min
    and then go into like a 4 min intermission. This year will be a total new format because
    parking will be no problem, we will be adding restrooms, plus the performing arts on the
    week-ends. This has been a complete new learning experience !!

Hey Al, after this year I would love to do a presentation at our convention on how to
    to do such a project as this. How to deal with local government, how to deal with permit issues,
    and in general all the information on what to expect on such a move. The excitement with
    in the town has been in the stratosphere. But wow it is taken a lot of time and energy. Your
    last post was great.

We will have over 800 channels and using motor control more then I have ever used plus the
    all new 60' mega tree and production stage.. This year we will be running 2 separate programs to control the show.
    NOW THAT IS A TRICK ! I will announce that we will be using argon gas lasers and
    solid state lasers in the show. This is the reason for the 2 programs, we are floating
    the 2 programs on top of each other.

Sorry for getting off topic guys but just wanted to check in and say I am doing well and I do
    try to read all the post and it is great to see all the newbies to our hobby and the new
    concepts .

And YES, We are still using LOR 1 !! I have got to MAX it out first !! LOL
    Still have other things in my head to do !

Don
    Lake Myra Christmas

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Don Williams View Post
    Hey Al, after this year I would love to do a presentation at our convention on how to
    to do such a project as this. How to deal with local government, how to deal with permit issues,
    and in general all the information on what to expect on such a move. The excitement with
    in the town has been in the stratosphere. But wow it is taken a lot of time and energy. ...
    I was hoping you would come up with an excellent topic and you did. I'll put you down for the convention presentation.

Don always has fun topics to talk about.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Don Williams View Post

in the town has been in the stratosphere. But wow it is taken a lot of time and energy..
    Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I was hoping you would come up with an excellent topic and you did. I'll put you down for the convention presentation.

Don always has fun topics to talk about.
    Don, I like this idea. And if you are planning to join us for the August 4th TASL, I would like to get your perspective then ... and then update it next spring or summer (at another TASL meet).

I have decided that I am going to run every other year starting now. This will give my family a break. And although I would enjoy crushing some of my "less-than-desirable" neighbors with lots of cars ... I would like to give the nice neighbors a break too. I will change my announcements this Christmas to tell everyone that I will be back for the "even" numbered years. This will also let me get around to many more of the CC displays in 2013, since I won't be tied to mine. Al also seems to be on an every other year track, so perhaps I'll get him to travel with me ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control