Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Need help with LOR

Well the season comes to a end tonight and breakdown will start. Now on to new and better things for next season! But first comes the Febuary sale with LOR. My question is for the more seasoned out there is I have to run a Cat 5 thru a window and out to my display it works fine but I would like to change! I can think of 2 options and need help with the right one.
    1. Wireless LOR Transmitters
    2. MP3 Show Director
    Which one is better and what are the pros and cons of both? Realy thinking of trying one or the other during the sale......if I am lucky enough to score something

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Need help with LOR

I have the ELLs. I went that way so I wouldn't have to run cat 5 cable all over the place. Been using them for two years now with no problems. Don't know anything about the MP3 show director I have not used one.
    Thomas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have the ELLs and the MP3 mini-director.

I use the ELLs out the yard so I won't have to run Cat5 across the driveway or sidewalk.

I use the mini-director (like the Show Director - but minus the built-in timer functions) for actually running the show, turn it own using an external timer - that also powers on the transmitter at the time.

ELLs Pros:
    Saves having to run Cat5 in awkward or difficult situations
    ELLs Cons:
    Cost
    If using from the computer - must use the USB adapter with the Booster function

MP3 Director:
    Eliminates having to dedicate a PC to running the show.
    Eliminates potential problems if the PC hiccups - due to an OS error , power burp, etc.
    Reasonably priced - especially the mini-director
    Easy to change shows on the fly - while watching the show, if you see something in a sequence that you want to tweak, make your changes on the PC - then download (I use a second SD card) then swap the SD cards in the director unit.
    Can be mounted outside with the controllers and transmitter - eliminates getting a cable outside

Director Cons:
    None that I have experienced.

Just my experience using both products

However I don't recall ever seeing the ELLs during the limited Feb inventory reduction sale, but have seen them on sale during the summer sale. I did score a second mini-director last Feb though.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Going wireless comes with its own dynamic problems. I have 4 or 5 ELLs and they often cause freezing and glitches. This year I went totally wired but separated the networks with optical isolators that LOR doesn't sell but are commercially available. It worked flawlessly. I plan to talk about this at the TASL meeting.

My advice is to bore a hole through the house and put in a water resistant box and install a Cat5 connector inside the box. I have the same thing on my to do list for next month. This year I too ran the cables out of a window and will put the multiples boxes on the wall outside my basement. I plan to install multiple speaker connectors too. Walter did just this last year and it worked perfectly. Wireless stuff sounds neat and good, but if you can put a wire going to it, you will have much less problems. Buried conduit will simplify matters too.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

One thing about ELLs that have caused problems for some people, they operate in the 902-928 Mhz spectrum. Some cordless phones and baby monitors and other electronics also share this spectrum

My first year with ELLs, I had cordless phones that would play havoc with them, until I changed the ELL channel.

Fortunately, the ELLs can be set to any of 31 different channels, 2 data transmission speeds and 4 power levels. Sometimes, you have to do a little tweaking to get the right combination for your local envirionment.

Helping a person on the LOR forum this year, turned out the problem was a neighbors cordless phone, advised a channel change, and eliminated his problem.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have some LOR, but I am mainly LYNX Diy stuff and totally wireless. The only thing coming out of my house is two speaker wires. Even my radio antenna is in the house. Really works great. I'm also mostly LED and find that except for convenience I could run everything on my house and my megatree from one outlet. Of course then there are my 16 mini trees made of incans that take almost 20 amp. My goal next year is to make LED mini trees that would leave only my arches as incans. The LOR stuff is connected to one of my Lynx boxes with a short (3") adapter cable with piece of cat5 and runs in DMX mode. But I've said to much that is not about LOR wireless. With Lynx I do have to run Vixen but have not had any problems converting S2 sequences to Vixen.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, GA

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is there a reason you couldn't run a cat5 run and put a 1/4" hole in the wall to run it thru? I just installed a box on the outside for it.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight2 View Post
    Is there a reason you couldn't run a cat5 run and put a 1/4" hole in the wall to run it thru? I just installed a box on the outside for it.
    Should work just fine
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Should work just fine
    More you guys talk about it I think that this may be something like what I do for getting out of the house. But I am seriously thinking about doing the MP3 director just so I dont have to have the laptop tied up for the entire month.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

bj,
    With the expected explosion of channels that I expect will happen on a regular basis, I'd steer away from wireless. But I got burned on wireless connections early in the Lynx cycle, and never went back. And with my ECG-DMXRen8, I've got more than just 2 or 3 "groups" of channels being carried outside the house. So I run several wires out the garage window.

As for dedicating the laptop, get yourself a lower end PC for $200-300 and dedicate it to your show. You can use it for other things the rest of the year....

Just my 2 cents...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!