Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

I am moving this quote to it's own topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Easy. I did it last year. Export your Vixen sequences to Falcon Player format. Then use XLights to convert your LOR sequences to Falcon Player format. Play both from a $35 Raspberry Pi. This also doesn't tie up your show PC so you can keep tweaking your show if you like - pushing changes to the pi.

Also as Jack mentioned you can use XLights to convert to Vixen 2. Then you can open them in Vixen 3 and it will convert them on open. I haven't tried it but I believe you may have to go in and fix some things post conversion.
    Importing Vixen 2 sequences into Vixen 3 (as of 3.0.5)

Lastly I hear the Vixen 3 guys were working on a direct LOR import but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.
    Import Light-O-Rama (LOR) to Vixen 3
    JOE - - You are definitely our Pi guy .. And I am envious of the technology .. Pi is at least 1000% more efficient than LOR. Plus once you move to DMX, everything is compatible.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE JUST GETTING GOING .. OR MAYBE YOU HAVE ONE OR TWO LOR CONTROLERS:

When you factor for the cost of the hardware and computer, the cost of running Falcon PI vs LOR is likely around 20% .. or another way of looking at it, you could have 5 times more channels for the same cost. Or if you prefer a ratio of about 65% less cost, a Pi player driving DMX controllers without any Pixels would still give you 3 times the channels for the same cost. Remember, your LOR controllers are also DMX controllers, so you doing lose them. They are very valuable for incandescent lights since they handle far more power than the low cost DMX controllers.

JOE - - It would be nice if we had a Pi day sometime next spring ! It would be a hardware/software day-long meeting where those interested could sit in and learn how to get going. I think a good group of people would join in with curiosity and come out buying a Pi Player (or two) ..

On the flip side for me .. I am retired and ready to slow down the expansion of my display. And my past reputation for carrying the torch for incandescent lighting is also a thing of the past. As part of the new electric panel for my new garage, Dariusz is planning 80 amps of power for the display. Last season I was around 125 AMPs in Cary, so I need to split that in half in Clayton. I have 20-something LOR controllers, which should more than handle what I want to do here at the new place. One thing I figured out for any expansion is, I can sell off LOR controllers as I need pixel controller. I built an E6804 last year and was amazed that the darned thing actually drives as many pixels as an E682, except you have to run longer lines of pixels with more power injection. One LOR controller could buy me two E6804s. I'll do that to expand the roof if Ray Wu comes through with the giant pixel bulbs next year. Helen won't let me even try to get on this roof, so I need a new plan for how I'm going to get stuff up there. Uggghhhhhhh ..

I would still like to spend a day learning the Mysteries of Pi

Would any others like to join into this sometime early next year ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

I Went Static in 2017. FINALLY Moving to Xlights for 2018 !

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

Sure. I'd love to share my Pi knowledge because I am super excited about it. I can t even believe how well it ran last year - uber stable. In simple terms it just works! One cool thing is having multiple Pi machines. Picture this, one master Pi with multiple slave Pis running wirelessly. Or a master on the main floor, slave running wireless in a waterproof box with a E6804 and power supply driving all your roof lights - no wires dangling down. They will also do video and the master will control all the timing.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Count me in!

I bought a PI and actually successfully converted all my Halloween pixels sequence to FPP.... However, when I added the "legacy" LOR channels- something went wrong.... I decided I had enough to figure out this year (JUST learning pixels for the first time) so I shelved Pi for this season.

Also, I just upgraded to a EDM RDS transmitter and it does NOT work out-of-the-box with FPP.... So, more reasons to experiment now, and hopefully have running next season.

btw- you couldn't be more right about the costs....
    Cost for me to put ONE controller in a neighbors yard:
    $259 for a LOR controller
    $150 for a wireline linker

With Pi?
    $35 Pi
    $10 usb wifi module
    $90 for a Renard 24 channel controller

So, like $400 vs $135

But what I really love?

The convenience of NOT tying up a computer to run the show AND the awesome ability to run the whole show, stop it, start it, etc all from my iPhone or iPad while standing out in the yard.

I also bought a dozen P10 matrix panels and a BBB (BeagleBoneBLkac) to experiment with. It runs app and will run as a slave to a pi master.... Oh- i have so much to learn this year!!!

xLights or BUST in 2018 kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Excellent ! That's three of us for "Pie Day" ... in the spirit of not leaving anyone out, we should also schedule a 'cake' day :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes michaelvhunter liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'd like to attend if the date works out to be a weekend, Florence is about 2.5 hours drive. I've not done any research on this technology, just what I read here so I would like to get some understanding of it. The cost factor alone is worth checking into if my display grows as I hope it does. I still have some growth available because of the extra LOR controllers I have purchased for a project and never got started. But now with my house move complete, a new lot to work with, I believe I will be using those up to cover the changes to the layout. But I am taking the easy way this year and just using some elements (not all), time is limited for me this year. Next year I will try to optimize my LOR controllers and to save time, clone some controllers so the effects can be duplicated. With about 3.5 acres to decorate, nobody will see the duplication, just blinking flashing lights! With only one pair of ELL, I will be running a lot at Cat5 through the woods, so if a better wireless network is available, I'll have to look into that.
    Ross Shotts (100,000+ light total)
    www.lights4paws.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm really digging this tech- I think this would be well worth the time/effort.

Also, the recent addition of native LOR support in FPP makes this even a LESS painful transition (no need to convert LOR hardware to DMX). Plug your LOR dongle in a Pi USB port and - bam! Your driving LOR-16 AC controllers.

I'm not ready to cut over my main show yet- but I DID just get a rasPI running my Halloween LCD projector this weekend (small victories!).

I'm only running 5 sequences for XMAS this year (due to major pixel changeover) so I MAY try to convert the show over to FPP once it's done just to experiment. However, given the fact that I barely got Haloween done - I have a feeling I'm going to be crushed for time for Xmas this year!

I also think the possibilities with BBB/octoscrollers can be huge as well as folks start to experiment with RGB matrices.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by koi_plumber View Post
    I'd like to attend if the date works out to be a weekend, Florence is about 2.5 hours drive. I've not done any research on this technology, just what I read here so I would like to get some understanding of it. The cost factor alone is worth checking into if my display grows as I hope it does. I still have some growth available because of the extra LOR controllers I have purchased for a project and never got started. But now with my house move complete, a new lot to work with, I believe I will be using those up to cover the changes to the layout. But I am taking the easy way this year and just using some elements (not all), time is limited for me this year. Next year I will try to optimize my LOR controllers and to save time, clone some controllers so the effects can be duplicated. With about 3.5 acres to decorate, nobody will see the duplication, just blinking flashing lights! With only one pair of ELL, I will be running a lot at Cat5 through the woods, so if a better wireless network is available, I'll have to look into that.
    I agree. It should be a weekend day so we have more time. We will have our first TASL of the year in February. During the TASL we should have a segment on Falcon products and then set the date for the Pi training/planning meeting.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Is it crazy that I'm already excited about NEXT year?

I feel like this year is my transition year to pixels and next year I knock it out of the park! ;-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am in for the Pi Day! I bought all the gear after Joe talked about it at TASL and still havent got it working yet. Once I get the show reprogrammed for my Renards I may venture into FPP and see if I cant get it going this year.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The history of the FPP
    dave pitts created it in 2013. First version can drive 60K channels
    Capt Murdoch takes over as lead developer from dave at the end of 2013

2014, fpp can now drive 80k channels

2015 fpp can drive 125k channels

2015, latest version v1.6 , can now drive 500k channels. You can have hundreds of slaves, each can drive 500k channels.

i dont know how our sequencers will be able to generate 500k channels.

fpp can run on either
    1) raspberry pi. better video, only 8 output pins if you want sensors connected
    2) beagle bone black, 40 input/output pins. also 500k channels. video not supported yet

the (2) BBB is used to drive the P10 panels.
    (1) rpi, is normally used as the master unit

either version, so stable.

thanks to dave pitts, mykroft, materdaddy and capt murdoch for just making an awesome show player on sub $100 computer systems.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by smeighan View Post
    The history of the FPP
    dave pitts created it in 2013. First version can drive 60K channels
    Capt Murdoch takes over as lead developer from dave at the end of 2013

2014, fpp can now drive 80k channels

2015 fpp can drive 125k channels

2015, latest version v1.6 , can now drive 500k channels. You can have hundreds of slaves, each can drive 500k channels.

i dont know how our sequencers will be able to generate 500k channels.

fpp can run on either
    1) raspberry pi. better video, only 8 output pins if you want sensors connected
    2) beagle bone black, 40 input/output pins. also 500k channels. video not supported yet

the (2) BBB is used to drive the P10 panels.
    (1) rpi, is normally used as the master unit

either version, so stable.

thanks to dave pitts, mykroft, materdaddy and capt murdoch for just making an awesome show player on sub $100 computer systems.
    Thanks Sean ! It's great to hear from you, here on CC.

A little background on our local club TASL (Triangle area Synchronized Lighting). William Bottomley had started ChristmasCarolina.com around 2008 and we were sharing a lot of information across NOrth and South Carolina .. plus others around the country who joined in with us. Then by summer of 2009 there were two small groups of people in this local area who were talking up the idea of starting a local club to hold meetings a share ideas. We all joined together and held our first meeting at Al Love's church hall. I don't recall when we actually came up with the TASL name but it was not long after. We started out holding meetings every few months at a Starbucks in Raleigh. Then around 2011 we decided to move to renting halls, and the club has continued to expand ever since. We're just over 30 members right now. We collect enough dues each year to fund several all-day Saturday meetings. It's been a lot of fun for everyone, and it gives us a good base for training and sharing.

Until the last few years, most all members had LOR hardware and software in common. Cost being a factor for many members, we're starting to see a lot more people moving to DMX solutions. Also a few Vixen/Renard users. We also have one HLS user with an all pixel display. It's nice to have a diverse base of members because as we move ahead, the experts are giving back to the club by helping others move to the newer solutions. We've already been helping others use Nutcracker and I expect that to continue to expand each year.

As you've read, we're now ready to start up a good buddy system for Falcon/Pi displays next year. I am excited to learn more about it myself .. All of those users will no doubt be using xLights/Nutcracker ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If u want , sometime i can call into your tasl meeting and give a tutorial on either fpp or xl4

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by smeighan View Post
    If u want , sometime i can call into your tasl meeting and give a tutorial on either fpp or xl4
    That would be excellent ! We'll keep in touch ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

i am very interested in learning about the Pi system

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, I'm thinking pi's and bbb's will be popular topics at this years TASL meetings....

I've made more progress with the BBB (driving P10 panels), but have also dabbled in FPP on rasPI. One of my favorite discoveries in the ability to drive pixels DIRECTLY from the pi (no controller required). This is an awesome option for small installs or some remote elements.

My plan is to move completely to FPP on pi next year. Only thing I need to find a "hack" for is EDM RDS support....