Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

To clear somethings up I did some more testing with a booster from @scottmcl. I found out what is actually happening is that when an effect occurs within the first second of the song it sometimes is skipped. If the first note gets skipped it immediately starts correctly with the second note. I tested this having Xlights output the signal from my laptop and from the master Pi and both had this skipping issue.
    Is this a known issue to anyone? Can it be fixed if you add 1 second of nothing at the start? I did find out that the standard, high speed and booster RS485 adaptors all work the same with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    To clear somethings up I did some more testing with a booster from @scottmcl. I found out what is actually happening is that when an effect occurs within the first second of the song it sometimes is skipped. If the first note gets skipped it immediately starts correctly with the second note. I tested this having Xlights output the signal from my laptop and from the master Pi and both had this skipping issue.
    Is this a known issue to anyone? Can it be fixed if you add 1 second of nothing at the start? I did find out that the standard, high speed and booster RS485 adaptors all work the same with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I noticed something like this too and I think I reported it to the FPP folks but that was like 9 months ago when I was doing all that testing. I'll have to check Github to see what I reported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I will post something over on the Xlights and FPP site and see what response I get. It must be something with how the .fseq is converted to the LOR protocol since it does it in Xlights and the FPP.
    Thanks millersound1 thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Can falcon pi be used to run incandesent displays or is it strictly used for dmx type

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    Can falcon pi be used to run incandesent displays or is it strictly used for dmx type
    Hi Scott. You are mixing things up a little so let me see if I can get you there. Yes, you can run an entire incandescent display with Falcon Pi. The lights don't have anything to do with whether it's DMX, LOR or any other hardware interface. You can keep your LOR controllers if you are concerned about pulling too much power. If you have a spreadsheet or a list that shows how much power is being drawn on each of your channels, I can help you make that decision. The simplest way to go if you want to avoid any controller changes is to make adapter DMX cables so the LOR controllers run off the DMX signal rather than the LOR USB adapter signal.

You will start with buying a DMX adapter for the Pi computer (or computers) where you'll run the FPP (Falcon Pi Player) software. Your best choice today is to avoid the USB adapters and go with an Ethernet type. If you don't plan to run any pixels, then you could by a E1.31 DMX bridge. Most of these have four DMX outputs supporting 512 channels each output. If you do plan to run pixels then one of the best new E1.31 hub controllers is the Falcon 16 (V2). It has 16 pixel outputs, plus separate DMX outputs. You would use one of these DMX outputs to DRIVE your LOR controllers. An of the Falcon 16 is it has a LOR setting for the DMX outputs so you don't have to create DMX adapter cables. The Falcon 16 can also be expanded to have 32 outputs for pixels (at an added cost). It makes a great hub controller!

If you have LOR CCRs or CCBs, then we might have to make sure that those can run as DMX devices off one of the Falcon 16's DMX outputs. I believe they can, but I don't have that answer off the top of my head. Since LOR charges literally 10 times (or more) for their CCRs than what standard pixels cost, I would advise dumping any old CCRs or CCBs, and replace them with standard pixel strings. If you don't have any older LOR type pixels, then GREAT ! You don't have to worry about that. Let us know your complete configuration and we'll give you some more guidance. It's extremely late to be considering this for 2016, but 2017 is a good target.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny i am looking at possibly next year for this project. Just not going to be able to go to the Pixels and LED full force .Just trying to figure out if it could be used with the existing lights and props I have.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    Denny i am looking at possibly next year for this project. Just not going to be able to go to the Pixels and LED full force .Just trying to figure out if it could be used with the existing lights and props I have.
    Yup, it sure can. The FPP solution uses xLights as the editor and FPP as the player. So you run xLights on your laptop to create the sequences, then move the fseq files (Falcon sequences files) to the Pi player computers. You can use multiple Pi players and sync them wireless, although most of the engineers recommend running ethernet to the Pi player(s). You use a simple ethernet switch for that. The small switches don't even require programming. You just plug them in. It takes a lot of effort to migrate existing sequences to xLights tho. You have to make sure all your sequences have the exact same controllers in them and also make sure the controllers have no holes. This means if you have 8 controllers, they must be numbered sequentially, usually starting with 01, then ending on 8. You cannot skip a controller number. You never mentioned if you have any CCRs or CCBs ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yup, it sure can. The FPP solution uses xLights as the editor and FPP as the player. So you run xLights on your laptop to create the sequences, then move the fseq files (Falcon sequences files) to the Pi player computers. You can use multiple Pi players and sync them wireless, although most of the engineers recommend running ethernet to the Pi player(s). You use a simple ethernet switch for that. The small switches don't even require programming. You just plug them in. It takes a lot of effort to migrate existing sequences to xLights tho. You have to make sure all your sequences have the exact same controllers in them and also make sure the controllers have no holes. This means if you have 8 controllers, they must be numbered sequentially, usually starting with 01, then ending on 8. You cannot skip a controller number. You never mentioned if you have any CCRs or CCBs ...
    Yes i do have CCRs(3). Sorry forgot to include that

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

For those who are looking to port from LOR to Xlights, here's a great idea. I never knew you could do this. Simplifies growth and changes.

Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    For those who are looking to port from LOR to Xlights, here's a great idea. I never knew you could do this. Simplifies growth and changes.
    Yea that is nice. The absolute channels is great when you're setting up a brand new display but like he said (and I found out last year) when you go to add something new in the middle of your channel list it throws off all the rest. This happened to me when i increased my arches from 2 to 4 in 2016. I'll be converting my channels to the new format. Some of what he said about start and end model when he was showing his windows totally lost me so I'll have to watch this a couple of times. When I go to change my setup it may make more sense.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Yea that is nice. The absolute channels is great when you're setting up a brand new display but like he said (and I found out last year) when you go to add something new in the middle of your channel list it throws off all the rest. This happened to me when i increased my arches from 2 to 4 in 2016. I'll be converting my channels to the new format. Some of what he said about start and end model when he was showing his windows totally lost me so I'll have to watch this a couple of times. When I go to change my setup it may make more sense.
    The Cliff NOTES version is to make every prop in its own starting universe. Then everything starts with universe x channel 1. Or multiple universes. Then if you have to expand something that would run into something else, just move the starting universe to an open spot.

I will combine this scheme along with programming all my Sandevices controllers so I avoid any strings crossing into the next universe. This avoids any problems with the 510 vs 512 channels, in case I ever replace a Sandevices with a falcon. I plan to do all my long runs with Falcon controllers. This PiCap is amazing that it can run over 800 pixels (2400 channels) from each of two outputs. Having a dedicated Raspi helps !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Did you guys see they released a new Raspberry Pi? The Pi Zero W! They've added wifi to the Pi Zero. That lends itself to some wireless PiCap or PiHat applications. It's 9.60 British pounds or just under $12 US. The main drawback of the Zero for me was by the time you added a USB adapter and wifi or Ethernet dongle you were approaching a regular Pi's price. This new Pi Zero may fit a few people's needs. For most I'd still recommend dropping a few extra $ and getting the Pi3 with its more processing power and ports.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Did you guys see they released a new Raspberry Pi? The Pi Zero W! They've added wifi to the Pi Zero. That lends itself to some wireless PiCap or PiHat applications. It's 9.60 British pounds or just under $12 US. The main drawback of the Zero for me was by the time you added a USB adapter and wifi or Ethernet dongle you were approaching a regular Pi's price. This new Pi Zero may fit a few people's needs. For most I'd still recommend dropping a few extra $ and getting the Pi3 with its more processing power and ports.

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w
    I saw that in Sean's new documentation release. But I have not read the doc yet. It might work for me but first I have to get at least one Pi working! I've had very short intervals of time to attempt to get a Pi working .. Zip on all of them so far, including the one that worked when we left the meeting (when Sean presented). I'll deal with it later.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole