Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 126

Thread: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

  1. #106
    Registered User EricR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    327
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    48
    Mentioned
    25
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    To clear somethings up I did some more testing with a booster from @scottmcl. I found out what is actually happening is that when an effect occurs within the first second of the song it sometimes is skipped. If the first note gets skipped it immediately starts correctly with the second note. I tested this having Xlights output the signal from my laptop and from the master Pi and both had this skipping issue.
    Is this a known issue to anyone? Can it be fixed if you add 1 second of nothing at the start? I did find out that the standard, high speed and booster RS485 adaptors all work the same with my setup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #107
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by EricR View Post
    To clear somethings up I did some more testing with a booster from @scottmcl. I found out what is actually happening is that when an effect occurs within the first second of the song it sometimes is skipped. If the first note gets skipped it immediately starts correctly with the second note. I tested this having Xlights output the signal from my laptop and from the master Pi and both had this skipping issue.
    Is this a known issue to anyone? Can it be fixed if you add 1 second of nothing at the start? I did find out that the standard, high speed and booster RS485 adaptors all work the same with my setup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I noticed something like this too and I think I reported it to the FPP folks but that was like 9 months ago when I was doing all that testing. I'll have to check Github to see what I reported.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #108
    Registered User EricR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    327
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    48
    Mentioned
    25
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    I will post something over on the Xlights and FPP site and see what response I get. It must be something with how the .fseq is converted to the LOR protocol since it does it in Xlights and the FPP.
    Thanks millersound1 thanked for this post

  4. #109
    Senior Member rooster423's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville,NC
    Posts
    115
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Mentioned
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Can falcon pi be used to run incandesent displays or is it strictly used for dmx type

  5. #110
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    Can falcon pi be used to run incandesent displays or is it strictly used for dmx type
    Hi Scott. You are mixing things up a little so let me see if I can get you there. Yes, you can run an entire incandescent display with Falcon Pi. The lights don't have anything to do with whether it's DMX, LOR or any other hardware interface. You can keep your LOR controllers if you are concerned about pulling too much power. If you have a spreadsheet or a list that shows how much power is being drawn on each of your channels, I can help you make that decision. The simplest way to go if you want to avoid any controller changes is to make adapter DMX cables so the LOR controllers run off the DMX signal rather than the LOR USB adapter signal.

    You will start with buying a DMX adapter for the Pi computer (or computers) where you'll run the FPP (Falcon Pi Player) software. Your best choice today is to avoid the USB adapters and go with an Ethernet type. If you don't plan to run any pixels, then you could by a E1.31 DMX bridge. Most of these have four DMX outputs supporting 512 channels each output. If you do plan to run pixels then one of the best new E1.31 hub controllers is the Falcon 16 (V2). It has 16 pixel outputs, plus separate DMX outputs. You would use one of these DMX outputs to DRIVE your LOR controllers. An of the Falcon 16 is it has a LOR setting for the DMX outputs so you don't have to create DMX adapter cables. The Falcon 16 can also be expanded to have 32 outputs for pixels (at an added cost). It makes a great hub controller!

    If you have LOR CCRs or CCBs, then we might have to make sure that those can run as DMX devices off one of the Falcon 16's DMX outputs. I believe they can, but I don't have that answer off the top of my head. Since LOR charges literally 10 times (or more) for their CCRs than what standard pixels cost, I would advise dumping any old CCRs or CCBs, and replace them with standard pixel strings. If you don't have any older LOR type pixels, then GREAT ! You don't have to worry about that. Let us know your complete configuration and we'll give you some more guidance. It's extremely late to be considering this for 2016, but 2017 is a good target.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  6. #111
    Senior Member rooster423's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville,NC
    Posts
    115
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Mentioned
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Denny i am looking at possibly next year for this project. Just not going to be able to go to the Pixels and LED full force .Just trying to figure out if it could be used with the existing lights and props I have.

  7. #112
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    Denny i am looking at possibly next year for this project. Just not going to be able to go to the Pixels and LED full force .Just trying to figure out if it could be used with the existing lights and props I have.
    Yup, it sure can. The FPP solution uses xLights as the editor and FPP as the player. So you run xLights on your laptop to create the sequences, then move the fseq files (Falcon sequences files) to the Pi player computers. You can use multiple Pi players and sync them wireless, although most of the engineers recommend running ethernet to the Pi player(s). You use a simple ethernet switch for that. The small switches don't even require programming. You just plug them in. It takes a lot of effort to migrate existing sequences to xLights tho. You have to make sure all your sequences have the exact same controllers in them and also make sure the controllers have no holes. This means if you have 8 controllers, they must be numbered sequentially, usually starting with 01, then ending on 8. You cannot skip a controller number. You never mentioned if you have any CCRs or CCBs ...
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  8. #113
    Senior Member rooster423's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nashville,NC
    Posts
    115
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4
    Mentioned
    13
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yup, it sure can. The FPP solution uses xLights as the editor and FPP as the player. So you run xLights on your laptop to create the sequences, then move the fseq files (Falcon sequences files) to the Pi player computers. You can use multiple Pi players and sync them wireless, although most of the engineers recommend running ethernet to the Pi player(s). You use a simple ethernet switch for that. The small switches don't even require programming. You just plug them in. It takes a lot of effort to migrate existing sequences to xLights tho. You have to make sure all your sequences have the exact same controllers in them and also make sure the controllers have no holes. This means if you have 8 controllers, they must be numbered sequentially, usually starting with 01, then ending on 8. You cannot skip a controller number. You never mentioned if you have any CCRs or CCBs ...
    Yes i do have CCRs(3). Sorry forgot to include that

  9. #114
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    For those who are looking to port from LOR to Xlights, here's a great idea. I never knew you could do this. Simplifies growth and changes.

    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  10. #115
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    For those who are looking to port from LOR to Xlights, here's a great idea. I never knew you could do this. Simplifies growth and changes.
    Yea that is nice. The absolute channels is great when you're setting up a brand new display but like he said (and I found out last year) when you go to add something new in the middle of your channel list it throws off all the rest. This happened to me when i increased my arches from 2 to 4 in 2016. I'll be converting my channels to the new format. Some of what he said about start and end model when he was showing his windows totally lost me so I'll have to watch this a couple of times. When I go to change my setup it may make more sense.

  11. #116
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Yea that is nice. The absolute channels is great when you're setting up a brand new display but like he said (and I found out last year) when you go to add something new in the middle of your channel list it throws off all the rest. This happened to me when i increased my arches from 2 to 4 in 2016. I'll be converting my channels to the new format. Some of what he said about start and end model when he was showing his windows totally lost me so I'll have to watch this a couple of times. When I go to change my setup it may make more sense.
    The Cliff NOTES version is to make every prop in its own starting universe. Then everything starts with universe x channel 1. Or multiple universes. Then if you have to expand something that would run into something else, just move the starting universe to an open spot.

    I will combine this scheme along with programming all my Sandevices controllers so I avoid any strings crossing into the next universe. This avoids any problems with the 510 vs 512 channels, in case I ever replace a Sandevices with a falcon. I plan to do all my long runs with Falcon controllers. This PiCap is amazing that it can run over 800 pixels (2400 channels) from each of two outputs. Having a dedicated Raspi helps !
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  12. #117
    Registered User Tripplett's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    466
    Thanks (Received)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    57
    Mentioned
    42
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    165

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Did you guys see they released a new Raspberry Pi? The Pi Zero W! They've added wifi to the Pi Zero. That lends itself to some wireless PiCap or PiHat applications. It's 9.60 British pounds or just under $12 US. The main drawback of the Zero for me was by the time you added a USB adapter and wifi or Ethernet dongle you were approaching a regular Pi's price. This new Pi Zero may fit a few people's needs. For most I'd still recommend dropping a few extra $ and getting the Pi3 with its more processing power and ports.

    https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w

  13. #118
    Havin fun ! kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks (Received)
    43
    Likes (Received)
    233
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    76
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    398

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    Did you guys see they released a new Raspberry Pi? The Pi Zero W! They've added wifi to the Pi Zero. That lends itself to some wireless PiCap or PiHat applications. It's 9.60 British pounds or just under $12 US. The main drawback of the Zero for me was by the time you added a USB adapter and wifi or Ethernet dongle you were approaching a regular Pi's price. This new Pi Zero may fit a few people's needs. For most I'd still recommend dropping a few extra $ and getting the Pi3 with its more processing power and ports.

    https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w
    I saw that in Sean's new documentation release. But I have not read the doc yet. It might work for me but first I have to get at least one Pi working! I've had very short intervals of time to attempt to get a Pi working .. Zip on all of them so far, including the one that worked when we left the meeting (when Sean presented). I'll deal with it later.
    Thanks,

    Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

    Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

    Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

  14. #119
    Ssgt. Blinky, to you! cpnbnanamn's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Posts
    189
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3
    Mentioned
    4
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Nothing like reviving an old thread, huh??
    Yeah.. I'm still playing around with this stuff, and love the Raspi's.. I have 4 or 5 of them doing various things. Right now, I have 3 of them set up with FPP (1 Master, and 2 remotes), and I can reach them all by either SSH or GUI.
    I've been reading over the info, and I understand that there are 2 ways of importing LOR sequences. One is pretty much static, if you have no intention of making any changes to the sequence. That's not going to work for me. The second way is a bit unclear to me.. Anyone up to tutoring me a bit? I'm finally settled in the new house to the point I might be able to get at least a Halloween display put up, and I'd like to run it from the pi's. I'd greatly appreciate it!!
    -Roger

    I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

  15. #120
    Registered User EricR's Avatar
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Apex NC
    Posts
    327
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    48
    Mentioned
    25
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    123

    Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

    Can you give us a little more info. I and several others run the entire show with Pis and FPP. Do you want to use xlights as your sequencer or LOR because you can use xlights as just a way to make the fseq that the Pis use. I assume you are planning to run the show with FPP.
    Paul in this group is the latest person I know that converted the LOR sequences to xlights. I haven't done it for 2 years but the good news is it is easier now. It's fairly straightforward. You need an xlights model for every LOR channel that has lights attached. You then just tell xlights that model X in LOR is the model Y in xlights, this is called mapping. You have to do this for every model for a single sequence, so I hope you don't have 1000 models. Then you can save the file and when you map your next sequences you point to that file. If by chance you changed the names between LOR sequences then you will have to map the ones with different names for each sequence. There are several videos on the xlights webpage that are a good reference. If you want more details we can talk sometime and I can walk you through a few.
    Are you planning to come to the TASL meeting in 2 weeks?



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes cpnbnanamn liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •