Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

Pi update. Annie bakes an incredible pie!

In other pi news:
    Just got my first Pi Zero. $5. And yes, this will run FPP and by extension- your show!

-rpi-zero.jpg

This stuff is awesome. Also heard they are working on support for the new C.H.I.P. single board computer
    Now, this computer is a bit "pricier" than the pi zero, its a whopping $9.
    However, it has built-in wifi and bluetooth.

I predict these sbc's are going to be built-in to the pixel controllers of tomorrow... falcon already plans a direct-mount for pi....
    Likes ggusta liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Paul that's awesome. It looked like they were sold out all over the place so I didn't even bother ordering one yet. I'll put a order in tomorrow.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

By the way you can SSH to the console on these or use a browser to connect to Falcon Player on these but if something goes crazy you may need to plug a monitor in. The Raspberry Pi has an hdmi out but the BeagleBone Black and Ras Zero are using a new mini hdmi out. Best Buy is throught the roof on these starting at about $35+. But on Amazon I picked up a nice hdmi to mini hdmi for $5.75. Search for Fosmon hdmi to mini hdmi cable 6 feet. I may never use it but it's not a bad idea to have this in your emergency kit. Or, you can borrow mine.

***EDIT***
    Actually after thinking about this for a few minutes you may never use that cable unless you're doing some crazy (Sam?) stuff with a Pi. If you just want to run your show from it then don't worry about it. Even if the whole Pi OS goes down your sequences and such are on a flash drive so you can re-flash the OS and not loose anything except setting up your channels again (and you can back them up before the worst happens).

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    By the way you can SSH to the console on these or use a browser to connect to Falcon Player on these but if something goes crazy you may need to plug a monitor in. The Raspberry Pi has an hdmi out but the BeagleBone Black and Ras Zero are using a new mini hdmi out. Best Buy is throught the roof on these starting at about $35+. But on Amazon I picked up a nice hdmi to mini hdmi for $5.75. Search for Fosmon hdmi to mini hdmi cable 6 feet. I may never use it but it's not a bad idea to have this in your emergency kit. Or, you can borrow mine.

***EDIT***
    Actually after thinking about this for a few minutes you may never use that cable unless you're doing some crazy (Sam?) stuff with a Pi. If you just want to run your show from it then don't worry about it. Even if the whole Pi OS goes down your sequences and such are on a flash drive so you can re-flash the OS and not loose anything except setting up your channels again (and you can back them up before the worst happens).
    Yup, after messing with my first pi, the other ones I've built to run FPP are all "headless"
    Here's the entire process:
    1 get pi.
    2 plug in empty USB stick.
    3. Plug in mico sdcard with FPP image on it.
    4. Power up
    5. Wait.
    6. Type "fpp" in browser and start playing.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You may all know this already, fpp is dave pitts creation back in may 2013. Capt murdoch joined dave in fall of 2013. Dave handed his project over to capt dec 2013. Since then capt murdoch is architect and driver of fpp. The capt only really reads the fslconchristmas forum. There have been over 18,000 posts on the fpp there. People have done whole house projection using a fpp and a projector. Projectors stay synced to within one frame. Still most amazing thing i have seen. Dave pitts wrote initial code for xlights 4. He created fpp. He has created most powerful controller in the f16v2. He seems to be everywhere

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day.

I would be interested in anything PI related this year. Let me know if you guys do anything at the TASL meetings. I will be looking to join via whatever remote option is available.

please let me know.

thanks.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by smeighan View Post
    You may all know this already, fpp is dave pitts creation back in may 2013. Capt murdoch joined dave in fall of 2013. Dave handed his project over to capt dec 2013. Since then capt murdoch is architect and driver of fpp. The capt only really reads the fslconchristmas forum. There have been over 18,000 posts on the fpp there. People have done whole house projection using a fpp and a projector. Projectors stay synced to within one frame. Still most amazing thing i have seen. Dave pitts wrote initial code for xlights 4. He created fpp. He has created most powerful controller in the f16v2. He seems to be everywhere
    Excellent history Sean. You and your friends have turned the technical side of Christmas Displays upside down. And it is getting so simple, it is starting to reach the non-technical folks. I think graphical pictures of all this connectivity would help a lot. I looked on the FalconChristmas site but didn't find them. Good drawings would help drive the training sessions and overviews. Good pictures are the main reason that Fast Eddie (Aussie Christmas) has communicated his solutions so well.

Personally, I would like to consider leaving my LOR controller network as is, but move to xLights with FPP as my player. I don't see the ability to make simple chases quickly in the xL V4, so I would want to continue to use the LOR editor for all my non-RGB. Then use xL V4 for all pixel editing and running shows.

One side comment. I moved to the latest S4 and upgraded to their top level. I thought I would see how their pixel editing works. But I was stopped in my tracks before getting started when I learned that once you apply their pixel editing generator to a group of channels, you can no longer manually edit those channels along with the non-RGB.... WHAT !!! ? Ridiculous .. If I am wrong, I would like to be corrected.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Official Lurker Christmascrazynana's Avatar
    Status
    Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm interested in learning more about Pi's. I vote yes for a Pie day.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

new players for $5-9.....not sure, gonna have to check with the wife and see if I can spend that much...but yes, I'd be interested in cc pi day
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gebhardt View Post
    Here is an amazon shopping list. https://amzn.com/w/1WI863QH04WFN
    Moving to this thread...

Once I have Pi and a pi player, then I can run anything that is DMX like the pixels, right? So I could buy anything that is pixel related and plug it into the pi player and magically it will work, right?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    Moving to this thread...

Once I have Pi and a pi player, then I can run anything that is DMX like the pixels, right? So I could buy anything that is pixel related and plug it into the pi player and magically it will work, right?
    Im not sure I completely understood your question. Think of one use for the Raspberry Pi (running Falcon Player (FPP)) as replacing your show PC. You can have an e1.31 as well as a LOR network (via LOR dongle) coming out of the Pi.

There are also some guys that are working on running a few strings directly from a Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black (BBB). I think in that regard the BBB has the ability to drive more pixels directly, with no controller. I believe I've heard as much as a universe, 512 pixels.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Moving to this thread...

No, you still have to have pixel controllers, power supplies, and cables. And those have to be engineered properly for how many you plan to run, etc etc. But you can apparently run your LOR stuff from the PI, including the LOR adapter. You'll have to convert your programs from LOR to FPP.

I have a question .. Can the FPP use my wave audio files ? Most of my songs are sequenced to wave files.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like pictures, but this is a text forum so here goes...

used to be:
    Computer (Windows)
    .....|----> LOR controllers (many linked together)
    ..................|----> lights (up to 16 strings plugged into each LOR controller)

With Pi, Falcon, Etc, it sounds like it should be:
    Pi
    |----> (some type of controller???)
    ................|----> light strings (depending on controllers)
    .................................|----> Power injections as necessary

Is that right?
    Last edited by scottmcl; 01-09-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: ignore the dots. They are only for spacing purposes...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I like pictures, but this is a text forum so here goes...

used to be:
    Computer (Windows)
    .....|----> LOR controllers (many linked together)
    ..................|----> lights (up to 16 strings plugged into each LOR controller)

With Pi, Falcon, Etc, it sounds like it should be:
    Pi
    |----> (some type of controller???)
    ................|----> light strings (depending on controllers)
    .................................|----> Power injections as necessary

Is that right?
    The pi can do anything your pic can do.

You can plug a LOR dongle into it and drive LOR controllers, or
    You can plug a bridge into the Ethernet port and drive multiple e1.31 devices, etc

Beyond that, The pi has a unique feature that it can drive pixels directly from itself with no "middleman" device.

I'd strongly recommend anyone interested in the pi spend some time reading about it on falconchristmas.com.

If folks just buy hardware and show up at a meeting, we'll spend half the time covering basic stuff that could easily be covered with a few hours of surfing the forum.

That way, we can make much more effective use of our time together- just my opinion....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You got it. And that "some type of controller" can be a LOR USB dongle, an e1.31 network Sandevices controller, and many other things. If you like I can p it up some pictures but it will have to be next week. I am busy tomorrow all day. I'm actually sequencing some things for a friends birthday party. I'll be running 3 to 4 flood lights running from a Raspberry Pi playing a loop animation sequence, no sound.