Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

Thanks Sean, that would be great. Until yesterday I've really only used XLights to convert LOR to FPP format. I realized I was over a year of updates behind for XLights and updated to XL4. Then until yesterday I never really set up all my pixels properly or added models. Now that everything is in there I started poking around with the sequencer and must say I am very impressed. I'm looking forward to learning much more of things I can do with XLights before playing my converted sequences on the Pi.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@Jack Stevens has been setting up our streaming of the TASL meetings. We'll work with Jack to set up a way for Sean to web conference with us at our next TASL meeting. I don't have a date yet, but we did agree to make it earlier in the month of Feb. The florist who rents the hall does not take reservations for the next year until after Christmas. I'll drive in there next Monday or Tuesday to see what I can get for us.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

To make that leap, it sounds like we LORers can still use an xlights or nutcracker demo, as well. That's my current hurdle. Or at least I think it is...
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcl View Post
    To make that leap, it sounds like we LORers can still use an xlights or nutcracker demo, as well. That's my current hurdle. Or at least I think it is...
    Yes, you can convert the LOR sequencing easy to xlights. Then you have to make some adapter cables to make your LOR controllers run DMX and start using a DMX dongle instead of the LOR dongle. We need to pull all that information together for the xL/NC and Pi meeting. I am not fully up on it myself. I don't know if there are different rules for making different versions of the LOR controllers run DMX .. or will they all respond to the same wiring and settings ?

On the firmware side of this, you have to carefully keep track of the DMX channel number associated with the LOR Controller/Channel number. The settings are input in LOR terminology, but when wired in DMX the controller will respond to it's associated DMX channels. It starts out simple .. for example controller 2 runs DMX channels 17 through 32. Controller 3 runs 33 through 48. But it gets quickly past keeping track of the math in your head. So you end up keeping a LOR conversion <printed> table in front of you.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yes, you can convert the LOR sequencing easy to xlights. Then you have to make some adapter cables to make your LOR controllers run DMX and start using a DMX dongle instead of the LOR dongle. We need to pull all that information together for the xL/NC and Pi meeting. I am not fully up on it myself. I don't know if there are different rules for making different versions of the LOR controllers run DMX .. or will they all respond to the same wiring and settings ?

On the firmware side of this, you have to carefully keep track of the DMX channel number associated with the LOR Controller/Channel number. The settings are input in LOR terminology, but when wired in DMX the controller will respond to it's associated DMX channels. It starts out simple .. for example controller 2 runs DMX channels 17 through 32. Controller 3 runs 33 through 48. But it gets quickly past keeping track of the math in your head. So you end up keeping a LOR conversion <printed> table in front of you.
    I believe a recent update to FPP (1.6?) added native support for LOR- so no need to convert them to DMX anymore, unless you want to .

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Bonus!!! Can I still use my ELLs? Or do I need to use something different?
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Unless I'm mistaken those just use a wireless method to get from A to B. You still have to plug your data line into A and lights into B right? If so then they should work the same as a regular controller. The wireless part is separate technology and unaffected.
    Thanks scottmcl thanked for this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I don't think it was ever mentioned but anyone who wants to learn how to get a Raspberry Pi up and running with the Falcon Player just needs to hop over to Falcon Christmas and look over the forums there.

I'd focus on these topics to start:
    • Wiki link at the top - for gobs of useful information.
    • Falcon Player (FPP) - if you want to drive your display with one or more Raspberry Pi.
    • F16v2 Pixel Controller - if you want to look at the new Falcon controller.
    • BeagleBone Black Controllers (BBB) - if you want to learn about driving P10 panels.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    I don't think it was ever mentioned but anyone who wants to learn how to get a Raspberry Pi up and running with the Falcon Player just needs to hop over to Falcon Christmas and look over the forums there.

I'd focus on these topics to start:
    • Wiki link at the top - for gobs of useful information.
    • Falcon Player (FPP) - if you want to drive your display with one or more Raspberry Pi.
    • F16v2 Pixel Controller - if you want to look at the new Falcon controller.
    • BeagleBone Black Controllers (BBB) - if you want to learn about driving P10 panels.
    Excellent Joe ! I got on this morning and there is a ton of resources. Probably scores of people who moved from LOR.

Soctt, this is a really good question! I know that the ELLs are managed by the LOR control panel. We should do some investigating to see if they will still work. Since the LOR controllers would be wired for DMX, it's a very interesting question to see if they will still talk LOR over the ELLs at the same time the origin of the control network is DMX .. I wonder if this topic has been covered on the Falcon site .. ? We should research this a bit.

As an alternative, there are quite a number of wireless DMX offerings for a lot less than the ELLS. I found the ones that Seasonal Entertainment sells, for less than $50 each (through an eBay seller). The ELLs would sell for more than that if you sold them off.

Here's one:

High Quality DMX512 2 4G Wireless Receiver Transmitter Lighting Control US Stock | eBay
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got my first Pi in the mail today! I think I'm taking a different approach than most with it, and maybe I'll have something to share at one of our meetings.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I got my first Pi in the mail today! I think I'm taking a different approach than most with it, and maybe I'll have something to share at one of our meetings.
    Different? How so?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Converting from LOR <or most anything> to Falcon Pi

Not sure about ELLs- I just posted a question about it.

However, even if you CAN, it may not even be the preferred solution.

Example:
    For $35 you buy another rasPI, add a $10 USB wifi stick and a $29 rs485 dongle. Load FPP, set in slave mode and BAM- your wirelessly connected to your legacy LOR stuff.

So, maybe $75.

And, they are already testing FPP on the new Pi zeros ($5!!!!) - so even cheaper. The darn dongle will be the most expensive part ;-) so as low as $50 for the wireless pi connection.

And, you now have a platform that can also drive e1.31 connections or even a couple hundred pixels directly off the remote pi unit. So - far more utility than a ELL.

Of course I had to buy more of them this season! I think I have 6 now.... Lots of LOR stuff going on sale this upcoming season!

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Not sure about ELLs- I just posted a question about it.

However, even if you CAN, it may not even be the preferred solution.

Example:
    For $35 you buy another rasPI, add a $10 USB wifi stick and a $29 rs485 dongle. Load FPP, set in slave mode and BAM- your wirelessly connected to your legacy LOR stuff.

So, maybe $75.

And, they are already testing FPP on the new Pi zeros ($5!!!!) - so even cheaper. The darn dongle will be the most expensive part ;-) so as low as $50 for the wireless pi connection.

And, you now have a platform that can also drive e1.31 connections or even a couple hundred pixels directly off the remote pi unit. So - far more utility than a ELL.

Of course I had to buy more of them this season! I think I have 6 now.... Lots of LOR stuff going on sale this upcoming season!
    No personal experience with the ELL's but they aren't rated to handle the speed of DMX. They use a lower frequency range (in the 900 mhz cordless phone range) so they don't get nterference from all the wireless routers out there, but because it's just above 1/3 the speed of those wireless routers, it's also limited in the top data speed they can handle; I think I read someplace where someone was able to get 128K out of them, with limited sucess. LOR by default runs about 56K; some of their support issues recommend slowing that down if you're using ELLs and have issues with your show. DMX runs 256kbps.

Ssgt. Blinky, to you! cpnbnanamn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sweet Criminey...I've been DYING to get into this.. Have we actually set a date for Pi Day? How about 3/14? (PUN!!!)
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    No personal experience with the ELL's but they aren't rated to handle the speed of DMX. They use a lower frequency range (in the 900 mhz cordless phone range) so they don't get nterference from all the wireless routers out there, but because it's just above 1/3 the speed of those wireless routers, it's also limited in the top data speed they can handle; I think I read someplace where someone was able to get 128K out of them, with limited sucess. LOR by default runs about 56K; some of their support issues recommend slowing that down if you're using ELLs and have issues with your show. DMX runs 256kbps.
    Yes, but you wouldn't necessarily have to run the LOR controllers in DMX from the pi, native LOR protocol is supported now in one of the recent revisions.

May all be a moot point though as I think some of the logic for the ELLS is run from the the LOR HU...