Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Zara radio tutorial?

All,
    I was looking for the tutorial about Zara Radio.. Looked here and on DIYC. The only one I've found so far was on here, and points to an outdated page. Does anyone have a good link, or information? I'm finally going to incorporate it into my show.
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Zara radio tutorial?

Quote Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
    All,
    I was looking for the tutorial about Zara Radio.. Looked here and on DIYC. The only one I've found so far was on here, and points to an outdated page. Does anyone have a good link, or information? I'm finally going to incorporate it into my show.
    @mpurser is our tutorials guy for the site. Perhaps he could dig some up and post them ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I did a presentation on Zara Radio back in 2012 or 2013 at a TASL meeting. Jack might possibly have a recording of it.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

the lor and zara tutorials are posted
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Can someone tell me what this would be used for for a light show (that LOR software for example) can't already do?

I looked at their website and it wasn't immediately obvious to me...

So, without watching a 10 minute tutorial- can anyone just give me the cliff notes?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

paul if i knew i d be glad to tell ya just doing what was asked.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Paul -

I use Zara Radio for the time I'm not running a show. I have to re-learn how to use it every year, though, mostly how to set up the music.

I have about 8 hours of random Halloween music playing right now. I also have about 13 hours of Christmas music I'll be playing. The Zara Radio app just plays it over and over, while listening for touch tone controls. The very first song in my LOR show is an audio only one; it's the touch-tones I selected to turn off the audio stream from Zara Radio - that takes 15-20 seconds to fade down to silence, so I took the touch tone mp3 provided and added some silence at the end, so the fade-down can happen.

The LOR scheduler runs the show; the shut-down sequence is another set of touch-tones, which turns the audio stream from Zara back on.

What I have to relearn every year is how to schedule particular songs/albums to play at particular times. I like to play the Charles Dickens "A Christmas Carol" at midnight. The particular audio stream I've been using (it's in the public domain now, I can send you a copy of it if you want) is broken into 5 tracks.

I also picked up "It's A Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart in it last year, also in the public domain - audio version, not video. They are slightly different.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Zara radio tutorial?

Jack- thank you- makes much more sense now!

I love the idea.

I actually bought 2 hours of programmed Xmas music from the demented elf as part of a package deal a couple yrs ago when I got started. It's made me wish for more "programming" around my shows.

2 questions:
    1. Where did you find so much haloween programming?
    2. Any idea if Zara will work from the raspberry pi platform?

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Jack- thank you- makes much more sense now!

I love the idea.

I actually bought 2 hours of programmed Xmas music from the demented elf as part of a package deal a couple yrs ago when I got started. It's made me wish for more "programming" around my shows.

2 questions:
    1. Where did you find so much haloween programming?
    2. Any idea if Zara will work from the raspberry pi platform?
    Kevin, the Demented Elf, did some voice-overs for the Zara Radio application. He supplied 2 different sets of time voices, one strictly announcing the time, the other doing it with a Christmas jingle. He also provided the voice segments for temperature and humidity.

Yes, the application can announce time, temp, and humidity as well as play music. It can also play "PSA's" or promos that you can sprinkle in among your music.

Answers:
    1.) I picked up most of the CD's from Big Lots over the years; I don't think they stock them any more. Most of them are "kid's music," nothing really scary. "Halloween Kids Bopz" and similar. I like they "Winnie the Pooh" themed album I have as well as the Dr. Elmo Halloween album with the prequel to "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" called "Granpa Got Rode Over By A Broomstick" Yup. same guy. Three different arrangements of "Thriller" including the one by Michael Jackson, and I don't know how many different reditions of "Time Warp"

I know that Zara Radio is capable of playing an Internet stream, but I haven't figured that one out yet.

2.) The version of Zara Radio I use is only Windows based. I don't know about current versions.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Zara Radio is quite capable. I actually used it to randomize my show the 2nd year allowing no two shows to be the same (well, there were something along the lines of 64 show possibilities, but who's counting). I have attached a PDF of how to use the software. There are two separate, but close versions out there. The newest one does not allow DTMF tones as that was a paid-only feature, but the revision before has it. The previous revision however has a few annoying bugs, but I don't recall what they are exactly.

Zara Radio.pdf
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks very cool.... I love the concept.

However, my intent is to move to FPP on raspberry pi(s) and BBBs next season. As such, I don't want to fall in love with anything new that won't run on that platform! ;-)

I'm already faced with the choir of hacking my new EDM RDS to work on the Pi....