Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default DM-10x DMX decoders with custom firmware

-dm2.jpg

I am going to use DM-103 for some of my floods, but I don't like DM's features, especially the need for extra programmer.
    I wrote my own firmware, which will allow me to program start channel using any sequencer.
    DMX out will cascade by default, just like Ren, so anything connected to the output will not have to be reprogrammed.
    There will be no silly test sequence and I will also include servo mode (DM-103 only, will require extra resistors since outputs are OC.)

Any suggestions for extra features?

Version 1 for DM-103/YX-103 with STM8S003F3P6 chip.
    You can set start channel and enable/disable "rainbow" effect, which will kick in after 5 sec of DMX inactivity. No servo yet.
    DMX data on the output will be truncated up to start channel + 2 and will start at channel 1.

To program start channel, send DMX message with DMX Test start byte and the following values:
    0x55 (start byte,) 'R','o','b','G','S' (set start channel,) 0 (MSB of start channel,) 10 (LSB of start channel, in this case 10,) 0x55 (terminator)
    To enable/disable idle "rainbow" effect:
    0x55 (start byte,) 'R','o','b','G','A' (set animation,) 1 (1 enable, 0 disable,) 0 (always 0,) 0x55 (terminator)

[sorry, could not attach the file, PM me if you are interested]

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: DM-10x DMX decoders with custom firmware

FYI,

you can use this ~$3 programmer to flash your boards. You will also need STVP, ST's free software.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: DM-10x DMX decoders with custom firmware

This is very slick to simply give a DMX start address and all will cascade in order. I assume then, only one of these needed per string of floods ? This is nice and simple (Renard philosophy) .. can't go wrong there.

I still think the 2811 pixel version has so many more advantages. At least for anyone already running LOR (like me). My whole display ran cleaner this past year by getting all my DMX flowing over Ethernet, even my discrete DMX devices (by using the RS485 chip on a proto board). That left LOR as the only thing running on USB. LOR is such a computer pig. I think the computer was happier this way. For those running most anything other than LOR, it might be a coin toss to decide which flavor. For lowest cost of operation, pixel channels are starting to win ...

I've been super busy lately with antique outboard meets and work. But I will open an interest only posting to see who might want to hold a workshop for these RGB spot lights. Then if there is enough interest, we'll place an order with you. I would like at least 4 or 5 of the 2811 flavor. I'll run 4 and keep one spare. I imagine some might want the DMX. We'll confirm that wiring with you in advance. Pixel is simpler since the translater board is not needed.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control