Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Vixen 3 - my rgb ribbon tree too bright

**I had this posted somewhere it shouldn't have been so I'm moving it here.**

Mega Tree is up!!! I've only been running traditional light stuff up till tonight. After weeks of work I finally got my 12 ribbon RGB pixel strip tree up yesterday. I hooked up the controller and power supplies tonight for a test run. I enabled the schedule in the Raspberry Pi, hooked the EDM up to it, plugged everything into power and held my breath. The Pi came up, announced it's IP address, then started playing the first song. To my amazement every single ribbon and pixel came to life. I couldn't believe everything worked first time and was in the right order.

All I can say is wow! This thing is bright. I'm concerned my neighbors will be unhappy with me. The HolidayCoro star is nice and diffused due to the coro over the pixels but those ribbons are bright and dancing with light. I don't know what to do. My wife kind of agrees with me. I need to find out if I can globally turn down effect intensities either in Vixen, XLights, or Falcon Player. I don't believe so and if not adjusting each one would be a pain. It is a thing of beauty though! I should have taken a picture before I pulled the plug.

UPDATE: I ended up answering my own question on this and discovered i could use a dimming curve in the display setup section. This has to be done before the elements are patched to the controllers so I will have to write everything down, un-patch them from the controller, add the dimming curve and color handling back, then re-patch them to the controller. Luckily this isn't that hard to do.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Vixen 3 - my rgb ribbon tree too bright

Awesome Joe ! I agree with you. The 5050 strips are just too darned bright. Sam and I diffused our first project with strips using some white tubing. And after my recent issues with strips going bad inside my RGB snowmen, I am going to start using pixel strings instead.

The RGB 12mm bulbs are not as bright, which is a good thing to me. I am also hearing that the plastic bodies on the RGB bulbs will turn an amber color from being in the UV .. I am not sure if that affects the lens itself, or just the clear body material. But I would not mind getting a better warm white look from the RGBs anyhow.

I want to come out to see your display but I am not able to get out yet. Helen and I have been real sick for weeks now. We both got better last week and now this week we're worse than ever. We started a new prescription last night and I'm headed for some Xrays now. This is getting old. My show is running, but what little energy I can muster, has been burned up with fixing things that did not store well since 2012. I have to scuttle the Pixel tree but I still hoep to put my large RGB talking trees into the show. Might be close to Christmas before I make it !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I saw your other post about the strips failing and that does concern me on the future of my tree. I've also struggled a little with keeping them aligned to the front. If they go bad quickly I will go back with strings.

I am playing with the dimming curves today to find what max intensity works and if I need to adjust the curve or is a straight linear line good for say 25%, 50%, 75% intensity after the initial set of max intensity. I am so happy that Vixen has a feature like this that can allow such flexibility. I'll post again once done but I fully intend on having everything back outside tonight and running. I have to finish several sequences that are close to being done so at this point I only have 3 in the rotation. I've also been thinking about lead in/out voice or music, bumber stuff for between sequences, and maybe some non music stuff as filler.

I hope you feel better. I've had that mess for the last month and am just now feeling better. It has totally put me behind the 8 ball on my display so I know exactly how you feel. I should have 6-8 songs done, floods out, arches done and out, and much more - none of that is done yet. Heck I don't even have some of my other regular lights plugged in yet but at least they are up. My dining room is a wreck of Christmas stuff still to go out or boxes to go back in the attic. Let me know if I can help out with the pixel or talking trees. I'd be glad to give a hand.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The dimming curves are done and it looks much better. For now I settled on 50% as a max. Since I've set them up I can now change it on the fly. However the weather isn't cooperating. I thought we were only on a 20% chance of rain today but it has rained constantly all day today. I'm not setting up tonight and will wait for tomorrow to put the controllers and power supplies back out.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's up. I reduced it again to 30%. Only a few sequences going 5-8pm on 92.9 FM and I need to get my Tune To sign done by this weekend. More a test than anything. I'm shooting for a grand opening then.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    It's up. I reduced it again to 30%. Only a few sequences going 5-8pm on 92.9 FM and I need to get my Tune To sign done by this weekend. More a test than anything. I'm shooting for a grand opening then.
    awesome Joe. Let us know when you grand opening is ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You are welcome to come by and see what is up. I have 4-6 songs running on the tree. I don't think I am going to put out the arches this year unless I can get them out early this week. None of the songs have the arches or floods sequenced (or anything else for that matter). I will probably put out the floods this week. Whatever isn't done by this weekend when family comes won't be done. So... I'd say shoot for this weekend. Friday and Sunday nights look best - rain on Saturday.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    You are welcome to come by and see what is up. I have 4-6 songs running on the tree. I don't think I am going to put out the arches this year unless I can get them out early this week. None of the songs have the arches or floods sequenced (or anything else for that matter). I will probably put out the floods this week. Whatever isn't done by this weekend when family comes won't be done. So... I'd say shoot for this weekend. Friday and Sunday nights look best - rain on Saturday.
    Sounds good. I have been plagued by system problems. I grew a problem that Holiday Coro still says they have never heard of. I bought a ton of the little 3-channel RGB controllers from them. And you have to program the DMX address in firmware. In each of the last two seasons (for me 2012 and now 2014) I have had multiple 3-channel controls change their channels. And this year two of them reset to channel 1 .. I am moving everything to the 27 channel controller boards. But I only had three so I ordered another from Holiday Coro. I really like the folks at Holiday Coro. They always have lots of spare gear in Nov/Dec and they always send stuff the same day or next day from orders. I am willing to spend a few more bucks for that kind of service in a pinch.

Since two of the controllers went to channel 1 and I don't have time to remove them for reprogramming, I am stuck with turning off one of my RGB Ornaments on the bottom of the "Tube Tree". I'll have the new controller by tomorrow and get it into the show by Thu or Fri ..

btw - if you want some 3-channel RGB controllers for dumb pixel strips and strings, they are yours. I have 16 of them. They would all have to be checked before use and some reprogrammed. I may have accidentally killed 2 or 4 of them when I was tinkering. But not sure.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Just to recap the thread I've been running for about a week at 30% intensity via Vixen's dimming curve and no problems. i must say I am actually shocked (knock on wood) at how well everything is running. No complaints from the neighbors either - always good to keep the natives happy. Now I have changed a few effects that were very 'strobe' or 'flashy' like to something a bit tamer. I even meant to unplug my pixel tree yesterday after all the rain and forgot. Everything still came up and ran at 5pm, smooth as clockwork. I'm loving the Raspberry Pi as a show machine. The thing just works.

Denny, I echo your comments on Holiday Coro. I've bought almost all my stuff from them so far. I've even taken advantage of the real time chat a few times and Dave has always been right there to answer questions very quickly. I see no need to pick up anything oversees. Wu's prices aren't that much better than HC and when HC has a sale they are cheaper than Wu. I paid $22 a piece for my smart pixel strips during HC's summer sale. That is the way to go, plan ahead for what you need if you can.

I've got 3 of those sealed dumb rgb controllers and they are working fine. I even opened them up and goo-ed them with hot glue to make them fully waterproof. I also bought one of the bare board ones for 'bench testing' stuff since they have screw terminals for easily attaching stuff. I'm sure you know this but if they aren't in the same element you can set the address with the programmer. I have the programming cable if you need it. We can set them real quick. I'll take any of those controllers you don't want. I have some ideas on tap for 8-12 yard items that I can chase. Like HC's little coro trees or something. Or maybe the luminaries. Our neighborhood does luminaries every year and when a bunch of people do it it is beautiful.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'll save the controllers for you. Since you have a programmer that will make it easy for you to use them. Up to 4 of them might be dead. I appreciate the offer to reprogram but the issue is the group of 8 are soldered together. I can also program them but unfortunately I did not plan ahead for them to have to be easily removed for reprogramming.

I should get my holiday coro order today, with another 27 channel DMX RGB controller. I have the case all built and waiting for the controller to arrive. Saturday it should be simple to swap controller boxes and keep on going !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole