Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Firmware

I was just inquiring from you guys waht the pros and cons of updating the LOR firmware is? Its been a while since i have updated firmware on my equipment. Haven't had any issues, so that's why i wanted to ask the group their feelings on this.

Scott

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Firmware

i have never updated mine my old gen 1 +2 units act just like my gen 3 units
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rooster423 View Post
    I was just inquiring from you guys waht the pros and cons of updating the LOR firmware is? Its been a while since i have updated firmware on my equipment. Haven't had any issues, so that's why i wanted to ask the group their feelings on this.

Scott
    I have been upgrading mine routinely as they come out. Except I stop after October, so I can make sure I am not going to have any issues. The new features are worth it. And I feel strongly about supporting the large programming group that write the LOR software. If all of us stopped upgrading, then they would likely have to lay off some of their programming staff. That would not be a good thing. So I always encourage upgrades.

If any of you every did find a problem with a new release, it is real easy to drop back to the previous version that you were running. Of course ouce you use the new features, then you cannot go back as easy. This is why we encourage everyone to save your files with dates on them. I have copies of my sequences for EVERY day that I made changes. I could go back to any level I want (to match up with a previous version of LOR. The main reason to have scores of file versions is in case your sequences get corrupted. You won't lose anything. BE SURE to backup all of your LOR files to external HDDs. In case you lose your whole drive. I use External USB drives that cost me about $30 each and it takes no more than 2 or 3 minutes to backup to each drive. I use Microsoft Sync Toy (free to any licensed Microsoft user). Simple enough for a 10 year old to use.

LOR has such a large beta users group, I am not shy about jumping into the releases. I would be more concerned with the freeware types, since those have only one or two guys performing all the programming changes.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny,
    I think the OP was referring to the firmware on the controller boxes, not the releases of the LOR sequencing software, S3 or whatever it's called.

The firmware changes much less frequently than the sequencing software.

I would probably say that unless you have some major reason, there's no real need to update firmware. Of course, if there's a major bug that's found, then it makes sense to update the controllers.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!