Thread: Is it time to back up your files?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Is it time to back up your files?

It's getting too late in the season to be having to write new sequences because you forgot to back up your mess. Just a freindly reminder. A cd, a thumbdrive, whatever your poison, do it now.

Vic
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Is it time to back up your files?

Awesome idea Vic ! I always forget .. So I plugged in my backup drive and it just finished .. I never remember to do this and now I'm glad I did. All my recent LOR work is backed up !

btw - for those who use Windows XP and have a legit license, you can go to Microsoft.com and search for Sync Toy ! They perform a license validation check but then you can download it for free. Also download the white-paper that the MS engineers wrote. Sync Toy is the simplest backup tool anyone has ever made and it's FREE from Microsoft. I have not used Vista or Win 7, but it's possible that Sync Toy was finally added when those were released. It was made to replace the old <HORRIBLE> backup tool that Microsoft had for years. My engineers told me about Sync Toy and it is awesome ! All you do is select folders to be backed up (left side) and the select a target where you want them backed up (right side). Then name that profile and you can run it any time you want .. After the first run, any successive run will copy only the new stuff. It has rules for how you want to handle renamed files ..etc. I like to simply "contribute" files to be backed up. And the best part is when you have the same folder names on multiple computers, you can contribute into the backup from multiple sources. And the you can also "subscribe" all the files into one computer. This lets you perform work on multiple computers, back it up all together, and then pull all the files back to one (or more) "main" computers. An awesome way to consolidate pictures from multiple computers (hers and mine) ..
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-25-2010 at 09:47 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's awesome Denny, Free too!
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Or you can get an external harddrive. At 3am everyday the external drive backs up my both harddrives.

Western NC Light-O-Holics Donnie Kings Mtn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Or do both. Off site storage is safer but takes longer to access if you need it. Local backup is quicker & faster to access your files but not as safe. Doing both backups is the best. That's my 2 cents worth...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I use an external USB hard drive for Sync Toy. I guess I forgot to mention that .. But I don't leave it plugged in all the time. I would hate to lose my backup if something hits the computer and wipes it out.

I have a bunch of buddies who swear by the web-based backup services. And those can run in the background as often as you like ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control