Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LSP - Unable to open Com Port 3

Ok guys.. I'm in trouble here. I'm so FRUSTRATED I can't SEE straight!! I know this is NOT an issue with my dongle, as it works in Vixen! I've tried different ports, uninstalled and reinstalled the com port, No go! I'm noticing that this is ESPECIALLY happening when I'm importing a sequence from another format (i.e. LOR, or Vixen). This was JUST working the other day!! I'm at the end of my rope! Help! (I've posted on the LSP forum, too. Was just hoping someone here might've come across a solution.)
    -Roger

I am SOOOO behind the 8-ball.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LSP - Unable to open Com Port 3

Is com port 3 assigned to another device? What does device manager say?

Ssgt. Blinky, to you! cpnbnanamn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Only assigned to this device. DM shows it when it's plugged in, and doesn't when it's not. I'm SOO frustrated!
    -Roger

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Try deleting all of the COM ports from Device Manager and reboot...

I've had success with my data cable I've used to connect to the car...
    Rob

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

This is working under Vixen for you, correct?

I'm having a similar (but not the same) problem - I can't do ANY I/O - LSP says I need to enable the hardware first, but the same hardware works fine with LOR and Vixen, with no changes. Everything works fine on my development computer, just not the computer I plan to use for my show.

I've sent an email to LSP; waiting on a response.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wink Re: LSP - Unable to open Com Port 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    This is working under Vixen for you, correct?

I'm having a similar (but not the same) problem - I can't do ANY I/O - LSP says I need to enable the hardware first, but the same hardware works fine with LOR and Vixen, with no changes. Everything works fine on my development computer, just not the computer I plan to use for my show.

I've sent an email to LSP; waiting on a response.
    Yes, I got this working.
    Are you mixing protocols on your show? If you are, they each MUST be going out of a different COM port.

For example, I got some sequences from you, Jack, that are done in LOR. I'm running a purely DMX setup. Some of those sequences have up to 12 controllers, and I only have 3. So I was changing the relevant controllers (i.e. controllers 1,2,& 3) to work with DMX. The rest were left as LOR's protocol. By default, ALL of them were going out of COM 3. This is a no go. What I had to do was change any controller that was still LOR to go out of COM 1 (or another available COM port) and the DMX as going out of COM3. To accomplish this (in case you don't already know), simply right-click on the controller, then select Output Plugin, and change it accordingly. (In my case, Com 1 for the controllers in the sequence that are NOT DMX, and COM 3 for those that are!)

This is what solved MY issue. I hope it does for you, too.
    -Roger

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I wish my problem was that simple. I'm not able to "enable" any hardware in LSP on my show computer. I've tried building simple 4-channel animations on a single controller and I get told I must enable the hardware before running a test.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by cpnbnanamn View Post
    Yes, I got this working.
    Are you mixing protocols on your show? If you are, they each MUST be going out of a different COM port.

For example, I got some sequences from you, Jack, that are done in LOR. I'm running a purely DMX setup. Some of those sequences have up to 12 controllers, and I only have 3. So I was changing the relevant controllers (i.e. controllers 1,2,& 3) to work with DMX. The rest were left as LOR's protocol. By default, ALL of them were going out of COM 3. This is a no go. What I had to do was change any controller that was still LOR to go out of COM 1 (or another available COM port) and the DMX as going out of COM3. To accomplish this (in case you don't already know), simply right-click on the controller, then select Output Plugin, and change it accordingly. (In my case, Com 1 for the controllers in the sequence that are NOT DMX, and COM 3 for those that are!)

This is what solved MY issue. I hope it does for you, too.
    I'm glad you shared this with us Roger. It makes complete sense. Anything running DMX requires a constant streaming of data to the DMX universe(s). But the LOR "universe" only requires state changes to the controllers. Although I'm not yet a LSP user, I hope to be by next year. And getting the right mindset will help transition. But I will also say that the inability for LSP to support 1/2X and 1/4X editing could be a show stopper for me. I live in those speeds while sequencing.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I'm glad you shared this with us Roger. It makes complete sense. Anything running DMX requires a constant streaming of data to the DMX universe(s). But the LOR "universe" only requires state changes to the controllers. Although I'm not yet a LSP user, I hope to be by next year. And getting the right mindset will help transition. But I will also say that the inability for LSP to support 1/2X and 1/4X editing could be a show stopper for me. I live in those speeds while sequencing.
    Glad I could help... I'm learning more as I play with it. Too bad I couldn't help Jack with his issue.
    -Roger