Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default LOR Sequence "Migration"

As we grow our displays and move up the number of channels from year to year, we also tend to redefine the channel configurations to be more efficient. This includes things like adding more channels for expanding our mini-trees, or adding more color control, or duplicating icicle lights in multiple colors .. Plus of course adding in completely new effects. This year I even added lots of outside power connections so the controllers can be closer to the lights they control. That technique along saved me about 2000 feet of SPT2 wire.

For the new guys - - - you might want to stop reading here. Just concentrate on getting your first system working and we'll go through this other crap next year !

I digress ...

But in doing all that stuff described above, I wanted to mix in the new channels while at the same time preserving my old sequencing for the lights that still remained. This was a daunting task to build a migration map in a spreadsheet that showed old and new channel assignments, because I still wanted my old sequences to work. I could not simply put the new channels on the new controllers, because the new controllers would not necessarily be in the locations needed. I worked all the way through it, completely redefined one of my sequences from last year, and everything came through perfectly. It took me between 5 and 6 hours to get it right for one song. I had moved up from 96 channels to 176 channels, and redefined everything where I wanted it for this year ! And then the shit hit the fan.....

I exported the new channel configuration into a file, and then I imported it into another "old" sequence from last year. I ended up with complete crap! Having a strong background in software architecture, I gave LOR far too much credit for their internal architecture. I had assumed that they had an internal channel channel assignment that would follow any controller assignment changes. The better database products all worked this way before the relational database world came around. But I found that instead of a finely tuned race-car, my LOR software is more of a donkey pushing its own cart ...

I was determined to figure this out and I could not find anything posted on the other sites that addressed the complexity of what I wanted. So I picked Al's brain while he was driving from Chicago to Raleigh (he had time on his hands) .. and I picked up a few things from a couple posts on the PC site. Not much else seemed to exist to deal with the complex changes I wanted to happen. I didn't want to spend 5 hours per song. There had to be a way.... And then I broke the code ! I kept using new copies (renamed) of my old sequences to avoid messing up any good work form last year .. and finally found a method to migrate that only took about 15 minutes. The 3rd song went even faster.

I find it very strange that this topic has not been documented by LOR, but I sure could not find it.

Has anyone ever seen documentation for how to migrate LOR sequences from one channel config to another ? I won't bother if it already exists and I just missed it. Otherwise I may take it on so I don't have to suffer again next year when I hope to mix in DMX, but still keep using the LOR software.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: LOR Sequence "Migration"

Hi Denny,
    I think you are about halfway there. You did the right thing tweaking one of your old sequences, and exporting the configuration. However, the only way that exported configuration is going to be ""importable" and make sense is if you do the prepwork on each of your old sequences having to do with the quantity and ordering of the channels...

If your modified sequence looks like this:

Old Ch1
    Old Ch2
    Old Ch3
    New Ch 97
    New Ch 98
    Old Ch4
    Old Ch5
    New Ch 99
    New Ch 100

Then when working on another old sequence, you have to add 2 blank channels below Old Ch3 and add two more blank channels below Old Ch5 and do this for the whole sequence, THEN import the modified configuration. Titles and Channel numbers don't matter when you're adding the new channels because those will be fixed when you import your updated configuration.

Once you get on a roll, it is easy. You can build a list of where the new channels go and modify an old sequence in a few minutes (2 channels here, 16 channels here, 12 channels here, etc.) Then import and you're done!

Randy

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I felt your pain this year too denny. I added 16 channels and went with the RGB feature for my led stick star. 2 of my songs I had to totally redo and the other 4 was alot of copying and pasting. Because of the new RGB feature I had to redo all my sequencing on my stick star. I'm still tweeking stuff. I wish I had your computer skills. I love the customer service you get with LOR, but sometimes I share your feelings about the donkey cart syndrom.

I could not find any support on any of the forums to help me, perhaps you would consider a post on the step by step procedure you used after the holidays when things slow back down.
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You are exactly correct Randy. I'm glad you helped put it into words. That is how I finally made it work, by simply inserting the blank channels in the exact places where the new ones will be assigned. I was happy to find out that you don't even have to program the new channels to their new correct assignment numbers. You just have to stack them into the old channels in the exact order from top to bottom (as the song where I first saved the completed new assignments.

Vic, (and anyone else who may be working on migration issues) Randy's description is exactly right.

I am still amazed that LOR has never documented how this works. I guess they have just been growing and reaping the rewards, rather than investing in making it better !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

If you descied to add new tracks and move channels to them it adds an extra step. Its a pain in the butt to move channel between tracks. Its easier to just copy the data from the original location, paste it to the new blank channel then delete the channel from its original location.
    So, I make a "mid" transition sequence. It has the same channel config as last year with added tracks with channels I will be moving from last years. Then I import that config into each of last years, copy and paste (I don't use cut bc if I make a mistake the original info is still there) the channels that will move to their new location and then delete the moved original channels from last year. Then after all the channels are where they're supposed to be (old and blank new) I import the final channel configuration from the one properly exported new channel configuration that I spent hours working out.

I agreee this is a lousy way for a program to work. It shouldlink the light programing data to the controller channel its assigned to.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny, this can be a daunting task. One I have had to deal with every year. What I do is mostly what is already stated here, but I also add a side by side comparing/checking first.

Edit first sequence (move channels, add channels AND fix animation) to get where I need it. I use a lot of spacers (blank colored lines between display items, these also serve as timing marks that can get transferred from places above). Once the first sequence is done and I mean sequenced as well, so you have a lot of the bugs worked out, I then create the template. I open up the next sequence and organize the windows side by side with the new one, so that they match up, and using those spacers I quickly can visualize where you have to just add the blank channels in the new sequence. Once you have added the new blanks, do one more quick side by side scan up and down, then apply the new template.

I do the side by for each song when I get ready to edit it. This way it only takes about 5-10 minutes per song to add blanks, check twice, and apply template.

Tracks slightly complicate matters. but once you get the hang of it, and use the same method every year, it goes pretty quickly.
    Mark Zembruski
    www.WoodinvilleWonderland.com
    I have CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do You?
    ~ Christmas is not a time ~ Rather a state of mind ~

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Awesome Mark and Larry. Some more good perspectives on this. I'm glad we got this topic going because I could not find much on this topic on other sites. Perhaps it was there but they are so large it's not easy to find stuff.

I only use tracks as a view tool. I had only one song that I used tracks and just removed the tracks before migrating to the new Channel Grid for this year's version. When I get back to that one I will just make up the tracks fresh again .. I just use tracks as a way to group channels of matching colors (for quick color effects) ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

.......... I just use tracks as a way to group channels of matching colors (for quick color effects) ...

Now that LOR has the timing overlays for Track1, grouping elements in proximity or color are the primary use for Tracks anymore. Color is what I use them for now.
    Mark Zembruski
    www.WoodinvilleWonderland.com
    I have CLAP - Christmas Light Addiction Problem - Do You?
    ~ Christmas is not a time ~ Rather a state of mind ~