Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N&O Article Tomorrow (and other coverage)

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default N&O Article Tomorrow (and other coverage)

The N&O (Raleigh News & Observer) spent an hour here on Tuesday evening, and another 45 minutes on Wednesday evening. They are writing an article for tomorrow's paper (Friday Dec 18th). The reporter was very interested in the fact that we had a local group and others who were helping the new guys get going. I sent him to Al and Mel for phone interviews.

The reporter called me tonight to confirm the article for tomorrow's paper. And when I asked what section he said "Trust me, you won't have any trouble finding it" Ha !

The N&O Photographer spent a lot of time with me shooting stills and videos. When he came back on the second day, he had a punch list of things he wanted to shoot with his video cam. He filmed my GFI outlet panel, my power spreadsheet, the LOR software moving on the PC screen, and even my power meter ! He even downloaded his own copy of Wizards in Winter, so he could dub the audio for the finished product. He had my play Wizards on repeat for about 20 minutes because he diecided he wants to focus on that one for his "creation." I don't know how precisely he will be dubbing his audio file, but I know mine is VERY tight with the music <LOL> .. He's creating a video news report which will be accessible from the N&O's home page tomorrow. I will send everyone a link.

I have also been getting emails and phone calls from friends who have been seeing my house on the local TV stations, at least two of them so far. The crowds are building ! People have been cheering when they hear the Star Spangled Banner. I think I did a darned good job of sequencing that one ! During the TSO songs we have people dancing in the driveway. I can't wait to share it all with you guys but my buddy won't be here until next week with his video cam. I plan to catch up with Mel next week to get a crash course in syncing video with audio in Adobe Premier.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Default Re: N&O Article Tomorrow (and other coverage)

Well.... congrats!

Did you mention Christmas Carolina?

If not, the grinch will come by and take your sequences from you.

Wait a minute... the roads will be too bad for John to make it across the mountains.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Absolutely I mentioned ChristmasCarolina.com I gave him a ton of info .. but of course I have no idea what he'll be using. He we real jazzed that there were others in Raleigh (specifically) who were doing this stuff. They are a Raleigh newspaper, so local events are always their focus. That's why I picked Al (cause he's the local "leader of the newbees") and Mel. I also tried to get Walter and Robin but they never replied to my PM .. I don't think we have Robin's address listed in the "basement" yet either !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Way to go, Denny!

Now, of course, Al will let this fame go to his head, and then he won't be useful for anything for awhile!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That is so cool... Your hard work paid off... Well maybe not in $$s... lol

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    ...Now, of course, Al will let this fame go to his head, and then he won't be useful for anything for awhile!
    Dang Mark. Now you are doing it. I just added you to my list.

Yes, I plugged the website too. The website traffic tomorrow will be tremendous. I hope the website stays up. Denny's website is a huge deal and TASL was a major interest to him too. I told him CC was the way we communicated with each other almost daily. Raleigh folks rule.

Denny would you or Walter get me a clean copy of the newpaper? I would appreciate it.

Thank you Denny. You could have shined by yourself but you elected to shine with us. What a guy.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is the article. There is no mention of CC though.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...ry/246607.html
    Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 12-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got you one Al
    Walter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ha ! I had no idea this was going to be front page. Compared with the volumes of information I gave the writer, the article was mostly pretty simple. Al also gave him a lot of info about CC and our local meetings. As I mentioned, the N&O was mostly wanting to talk to the local aspect of this. They kept it very simple. Also did not mention my address, so people will have to look me up in order to find the house !

Al, he gave you a well deserved plug for all the endless hours you put into working with us newbies. I know I stated out with a lot of stupid questions, compared with where I am now. I see that Walter got you a copy of the paper.

I sent an email this morning to my work and friends with some of my other hobbies. I told them I am going to have to start attending CLA meetings (Christmas Lights Anonymous). Now that I've learned how to tightly synchronize the songs to the music I can't stop refining the sequences. I am on my 3rd version of the ending of Wizards and still not happy .. Help !

Seriously tho .. I am still having fun !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you Walter. I owe you 1000.

Denny you came across excellent. I am sick of reading Griswald Christmas articles. Our hobby is far from that. You made an excellent spokesperson for all of us. Congratulations Denny.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's the video link. You will actually see some of my sequencing and he did a good job of matching the audio back...

The N&O video news report also just came out. Here's the link:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/techju...st-right-video
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They did an excellant job on the video... Even with you in it... lol

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The video guy sent me a Vimeo link in HD. I am trying to figure out how to download a copy to my PC but it's not letting me ..

Also the Vimeo site tells me to just paste a copy of their Imbed text, but I don't get a nice screen like the rest of you. Can anyone tell me why the Vimeo screen does not come up ?

Here's my text but this site is not recognizing it. I also tried wrapping the PHP tags on both sides and all I got was a box with the code inside:

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8254948&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=8254948&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/8254948">The king of Christmas lights</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user593279">Travis Long</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I down loaded it for you... Its 18 megs... What is the best way to get it to you?

Carl B Zachary

Great article and Video. Congrats