Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Light fight solicitation

Received the below email through my Facebook page this last week. Doubt this is something I will do, but thought it was cool. If anyone else wants to reach out to them, feel free to do so.

Hi There!

I am a casting producer for next season of ABCs THE GREAT CHRISTMAS LIGHT FIGHT and I just came across some articles and videos about your Christmas Lights Display. Its absolutely GORGEOUS and I think you might be a great candidate for our show next season. Would you be interested in learning more and potentially submitting yourselves for consideration? The application is available online:

Www.lightfightcasting.com

Id love to speak with you about the opportunity! Let me know the best way/time to be in touch and Ill home to speak with you soon.

Merry Christmas,

Janelle
    --
    Janelle K. Eagle
    Casting Producer
    The Great Christmas Light Fight Season 4
    818-748-1310 - office
    xmaslightproducer@gmail.com
    - Scott M.
    Likes rcktpwrd, SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Light fight solicitation

From my understanding, they have been sending these emails out at least for the past two seasons. I remember receiving a similar one last year, along with other members of the community. Speaking with another CC member, we believe the show is running out of contestants and they are beginning to search high and low for entrants. A few of the displays this season were no more complex than most of the ones that we run here. Just keep in mind, if you do participate in the show, your traffic will increase ten-fold and you may not be able to continue. There are at least 4 displays that I'm aware of from the Light Fight that are now no longer running due to traffic issues.

But... if you want to go out with a bang, then by all means you should apply! It would be great to have another representative of the area on the show.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Light fight solicitation

Yes, rec'd the same email and quickly decided we weren't interested.

1. We are already busier than I'd like..... No way this wouldn't make it much worse! This would certainly create a headache for my neighbors.

2. I feel like this would get pretty far away from what we do this for - the families in our neighborhood... Not looking for notoriety or prize money.

3. I don't want to setup my display in September or October or whenever that first viewing requires... It would screw up my haloween display AND, again, having a Xmas display up for 3 months defeats the purpose (for us).

Again, not criticizing others that pursue the tv show, just not our style....

(Plus, I'd just blow the prize on more pixels) ;-)

Btw- I think you're right about them scrambling a bit for applicants.... I was pretty surprised to even get an email, our show is pretty modest by most standards.

I DO think they will get an influx of pixel shows....

I enjoy the series, the one thing I didn't like was the house that added. Fireworks.... Really? Unless they do that EVERY night- seems like a cheapshot.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The pixel shows rarely win. The classic look still seems to rule .. or have some really unique things with pixels mixed in. Although I would love to have a big display (just once), putting up 150,000 to about 300,000 lights will dominate every fiber of your life for the better part of a year. Ouch .. Does not sound like fun ..

I believe Blaine had to set up in August for a September "taping."
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes AnniesSS, michaelvhunter liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Btw- I think you're right about them scrambling a bit for applicants.... I was pretty surprised to even get an email, our show is pretty modest by most standards.

I DO think they will get an influx of pixel shows....

I enjoy the series, the one thing I didn't like was the house that added. Fireworks.... Really? Unless they do that EVERY night- seems like a cheapshot.
    Ditto. Any time there was something extra, such as a Luau, hot air balloon, fireworks, flashmob, choir singers, it's clearly obvious they are going out of their way to win the prize. It's the "lets spend 50k to have the chance to win 50k" mindset. I do have to admit some of the extras are really nice, but if it isn't a regular occurrence, why feature it? I do know of displays that will do something special on Fridays and Saturdays, or even something on Christmas Eve, but that's different. Also, to only have a few displays so far actually collect donations for charity... I would expect displays of any size do so. If there was space, I'd love to feature a food truck for donations. That way people KNOW you aren't keeping the donations. The gentleman with the Salvation Army was pretty smart too. Don't worry about it yourself, allow someone else to collect the donations.

BTW... That's not going to stop me from nominating all of you locals! - Submissions Page (BTW @Paul Lowe... They have the Great Halloween Light Fight too!)
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    The pixel shows rarely win. The classic look still seems to rule .. or have some really unique things with pixels mixed in. Although I would love to have a big display (just once), putting up 150,000 to about 300,000 lights will dominate every fiber of your life for the better part of a year. Ouch .. Does not sound like fun ..

Agreed.

The pixel shows will have to get beyond "look, 16milllion colors!"

But, to be honest, the traditional shows will also have to evolve beyond the umpteenth interpretation of Wizzards in Winter.

;-)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Agreed.

The pixel shows will have to get beyond "look, 16milllion colors!"

But, to be honest, the traditional shows will also have to evolve beyond the umpteenth interpretation of Wizards in Winter.

;-)
    Absolutely !

When you see Blaine's display, you will see why he won. And why he's just plain worn out. He has 20 or so controllers running animations continuously and it all gels perfectly. I've learned a lot just studying it .. Then when he runs a sequence, it really blows your mind. One key thing about his sequencing is he always leaves a lot of lights on. But at the same time can draw your attention to the things that are moving .. His 30 or more years of experience really shows !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes AnniesSS liked this post

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, rec'd the same email and quickly decided we weren't interested.

1. We are already busier than I'd like..... No way this wouldn't make it much worse! This would certainly create a headache for my neighbors.

2. I feel like this would get pretty far away from what we do this for - the families in our neighborhood... Not looking for notoriety or prize money.

3. I don't want to setup my display in September or October or whenever that first viewing requires... It would screw up my haloween display AND, again, having a Xmas display up for 3 months defeats the purpose (for us).

Again, not criticizing others that pursue the tv show, just not our style....
    Those pretty well sum up why I wouldn't do it either.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post

guess i should start off with saying happy new year. 'happy new year.' i am in love with the dvr, watching the ball come down again

well said, denny, and with any avocation like this, you have to find the balance between how much work you put into it and still loving it and making it a fun experience, for me, it's important that next year doesn't get a lot bigger. i want to get better at this, have fun at it, and make it just a little more complex.

as to paul and sam's comments, these contestants really sort of ruin it with their broadway show feel and demoting christmas to the status of a backdrop, I feel like we end up with a situation like the movie Diehard, is it an action movie taking place during christmas, or as some argue, is it a christmas movie???

But the tv show producer is under pressure to keep making each subsequent episode to be bigger better flashier and more spectacular than the last so the audiences keep returning. They 'outkick their coverage' with the fireworks, dancers, dj's. You get to a point where the bigger better flashier becomes obviously disconnected from the holiday. OK, you have a 30 foot seahawks lighted sculpture on your roof, why don't you run your display during the superbowl? I feel like I am watching Diehard 5 released straight to netflix.

I blame all of this inappropriateness on the invention of the pixel strip..... jk
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!
    Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gustafamilychristmas

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well said Gregg, I really like the look of the new technology of pixels and ect. But the

classic look is my choice and that is the reason I have chosen to keep with the incandecent

look. I have some DMX equipment, but refuse to put it into the display because of the expense

of such equipment.

To me it is a challenge to be using moving lights and ect. And controlling them what I call the

old fashion way using solid state relays and ect. Heck it took me a long time to just get off

of LOR1 to LOR2. LOR1 still could run a 600 channel show with no problems.

I spoke with a lot of people at the show and 99% liked the incandecent look because it is warm. All of

this is of your choice and either way it is a site of beauty. I will always stay with the incadecent , till

I pull the plug which Larry did. (we are the same age)

Yes I have been contacted by ABC which is a long story and maybe I will share some of this tonite

during the tour. Drive careful everyone and will see you tonight.. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Don

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Don Williams View Post
    Well said Gregg, I really like the look of the new technology of pixels and ect. But the

classic look is my choice and that is the reason I have chosen to keep with the incandecent

look. I have some DMX equipment, but refuse to put it into the display because of the expense

of such equipment.

To me it is a challenge to be using moving lights and ect. And controlling them what I call the

old fashion way using solid state relays and ect. Heck it took me a long time to just get off

of LOR1 to LOR2. LOR1 still could run a 600 channel show with no problems.

I spoke with a lot of people at the show and 99% liked the incandecent look because it is warm. All of

this is of your choice and either way it is a site of beauty. I will always stay with the incadecent , till

I pull the plug which Larry did. (we are the same age)

Yes I have been contacted by ABC which is a long story and maybe I will share some of this tonite

during the tour. Drive careful everyone and will see you tonight.. HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Don
    I hope all the (MANY) pixel users didn't take offense, none was intended, whatever works for you and makes you happy is the way you should go. I am firmly with Don. Rather than go down the learning curve of pixels, etc to add that into my show, I'd much rather learn about making my own wire frames and servo controlled stuff (both of which I know almost nothing), again, because that fits into my vision, and if others want to pursue a different vision, then I am all for it. Besides, I am less put off by learning how to make a servo controlled contraption do what I want than to make a pixel strip do something 10,000 other people haven't already done.

Another thing I notice about pixel based shows is they are very unforgiving of what I call 'sloppiness'. Sloppiness in layout, sloppiness in sequencing, in overall execution. You have to be positively rigorous and obsessed in your pursuit of perfection, incandescent based displays almost improve with slight imperfections. I would liken it to how sharp and detailed a digital video is and how fuzzy and imperfect an old 8mm home movie is. The 8mm home movie is an impressionistic motion picture that really captures the memory better than the reality, while the digital video captures the reality.

Whichever you prefer is the way to go, there's no right answer.
    Clayton NC, Gregg Gusta & Son Ben, Was converting to LED lights gave up, went back to incan!! not a single pixel in sight!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think its great that we have so many different styles to look at!

I was a hardcore incandescent show last year... 100% incans. - not even an LED bulb (much less a pixel!) in my show!

This year I made a big leap into experimenting with pixels. However, because we are blessed with neighbor's that want to participate, I was able to keep old and new by shifting my traditional items across the street.

I enjoy the warm look of incandescents, but I also like the variety of whats possible with pixels. While I will keep both for now, I can absolutely say i will NOT be buying more incans. Why?
    1. I've now been spoiled by the MASSIVE power reduction needed for pixels and LEDs, and
    2. I do NOT miss the problems incandescent shows have with wet weather!
    Last year- I was battling the rain and chasing tripping GFI's for 3 days straight before xmas.... and ultimately had the show down for hours and hours.
    This year, more rain again, my show never even blinked- even during the downpour.... THAT's a big deal for me.

As I said before, pixels are still really new.... folks are still experimenting (and overusing!) their capabilities..... we'll have to get better.
    At the same time, incandescent shows have some room for improvement as well.... Id like to see Wizards in Winter retired next season :-)

As I run and will continue to run both, I can see both sides..... Im excited about the future!

Van Horn Family Christmas James van Horn's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Good Day.

I have also been contacted via e-mail from the Great Christmas Light Fight casting people as well. I know that I am certainly not ready for it. I am not even sure that I would do it. I like doing my display for the neighborhood and for the kids and families that do stop by to see it. Mind you, I don't get a lot of traffic as it is, but I enjoy doing it. Yes, I am one of those experimenting with pixels and certainly have much more to learn about them and what I want to do with them.

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I think the producers are scanning the display locators on the various Christmas forums and contacting everyone listed there. We also go the email. No way could I even begin to qualify, and based on the agreements they post on American's Funniest Videos, and I suspect the same agreement applies here, I wouldn't want the restrictions they put on me doing my display.

We do it for ourselves, our kids and grand kids, and some what for the neighborhood to brighten it up. Doing it for the show would mean I'd really have to spend a lot more time than I want to and would take the enjoyment out of doing it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    I think the producers are scanning the display locators on the various Christmas forums and contacting everyone listed there. We also go the email. No way could I even begin to qualify, and based on the agreements they post on American's Funniest Videos, and I suspect the same agreement applies here, I wouldn't want the restrictions they put on me doing my display.

We do it for ourselves, our kids and grand kids, and some what for the neighborhood to brighten it up. Doing it for the show would mean I'd really have to spend a lot more time than I want to and would take the enjoyment out of doing it.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    I think it's better to not be on one simply from a mental health perspective.

There appears to be a bit of 'I've been on a TV show' hangover that comes with any show, whether it's this, funniest videos, the biggest loser or one of the other 1000 shows that glut TV these days. It varies quite a bit from person to person, but it certainly seems to change people in ways that are hard to foresee (Oh, this? This won't affect me.' Yeah, it will.) and harder to process in its aftermath as you return to normal.