Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Aerial show!

So, I expanded into my neighbors yard this year.... though he is actually across the street- so we had to rig it up wirelessly.

(Note, we DID briefly consider running cat5 through the storm sewer line/tunnel that goes directly across our street )

The megatree in his yard is also new... lol- a LOT more work than I expected!

Here's the view from my drone and a few other camera angles I editted together:

Likes ozarkboy2 liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Aerial show!

very nice Paul. I love it. How did you cross the street wirelessly? Did you use wireless hubs, two Rasbperry Pi's (master / slave) with wireless net adapters, or something like the LOR light linker?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    very nice Paul. I love it. How did you cross the street wirelessly? Did you use wireless hubs, two Rasbperry Pi's (master / slave) with wireless net adapters, or something like the LOR light linker?
    Pretty simple- I just used the LOR light linkers and they worked flawlessly.

I THOUGHT that was going to be the hard part.... It wasn't.

The challenge ended up being beefing up my neighbors circuits to be able to handle 192 strands of incandescent mini lights that my megatree on his lawn contained! :-)

needless to say his ONE 15A circuit (that was shared by all his outdoor outlets ABD his garage AND the spare refrigerator in it) wasn't sufficient!

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

LOL maybe a portable power panel is in order

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

btw.... here is the final flight on the drone:

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    btw.... here is the final flight on the drone:

OMG !! I am seriously bummed. What is the prognosis for getting her back in order ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

George of the Jungle - watch out for that tree. Seriously as a former rc plane and heli flyer I hope she's ok.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

DAMNIT!! This is the 2nd time Ive typed this all out because when I went to click "send" the damn forum had logged me off!! Arg!

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    OMG !! I am seriously bummed. What is the prognosis for getting her back in order ?
    You and me both! :-(

So here's what happened:
    I had 6 cameras running simultaneously so I could edit together a cool multi-angle video- so my attention was probably not 100%
    I was also across the street trying to gently "shoo" away a car that parked directly in front of the main camera....

So, that in mind, I had the drone gently panning across the side of the yard, about to swing around the front. In the darkness, I mis-took the height of the tree in question. The very tip top branches are incredibly thin and invisible at night. Thr drone just clipped a branch and that's enough to send it off kilter and it hung in the tree.

Now, the other challenge is it got stuck right there- at the top of the tree! 25+ feet up! As it happened, I had some extra PVC in the garage. I fasted a few 10' peices and-to end and then made a "hook" at he top with some short pieces and a few elbows. It was long enough, but you can imagine how unwieldly 25' of 3/4 pvc is- especially with extra weight at the end!

I reached the drone and managed to hook the landing gear, but now had to jostly it down from a solid tangle of branches. Unfortunately, it came free immediately and bounced way from the center and came straight down the last 15' at full speed. From my post standing 5 feet up a ladder with a 25' pole in my hands- i was unable to catch it! One "arm' took the brunt of the fall and was bent severely.

So, at the very least the whole body/frame needs to be replaced. What I DONT know is if any of the other electronics are affected. The other main concern is the gimble- it's really the most sensitive component on the bird (the mechanism that keeps the camera steadily during maneuvering). I wont know what all might need fixing until I can get the new body and get the rotors spinning. The one good hing is i CAN tell the camera is still working and theres no other OBVIOUS damage.

One extra challenge is the time of year. These drones have become hot this season and availability is an issue- especially for spare parts for this newest model. Im embarrassed to admit what I had to pay to find an entire replacement body - in stock AND available for guaranteed delivery this week. :-( In a perfect world, Id order a few other commonly replaced parts as well (spare motor, spare blades, spare landing gear) to expedite the repair, but at this point- given the cost- Im going to need to wait and see what exactly I need.

I WILL have a body here by tomorrow- but then I need to swap every single component over to it.... and of course during the busiest couple days for me at work as well (trying to wrap-up year-end) - damn work! :-)

Hopefully I can get it flying by the end of the weekend. If not, the bad news is a trip back to the factory right now is probably a 3+ month ordeal.... and getting longer. Doubly bad for me because my prime reason for getting the drone was photographing Spring sports for my 2 daughters school teams.

I also know I promised several folks here a video of their XMAS shows. Im truly sorry for this delay- it certainly wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for :-(

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Holy Moley .. I am so sad to hear this. I sent you a message offering to help .. Fingers crossed that it is repairable and easily swapped over to the new body. I am not sure if rotor guards might have helped but I know that adds weight which in turn might mean you need a lighter camera or you run out of battery sooner .. Arrrrggghhhhh (for you) ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Holy Moley .. I am so sad to hear this. I sent you a message offering to help .. Fingers crossed that it is repairable and easily swapped over to the new body. I am not sure if rotor guards might have helped but I know that adds weight which in turn might mean you need a lighter camera or you run out of battery sooner .. Arrrrggghhhhh (for you) ..
    Rotor guards are a mixed bag. I have them, tried, them, removed them.

They tend to add a bit of instabilty to the drone. They are great for protecting the props- but probably would NOT have saved my in this case :-(

I got your note, thank you for the offer!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Drone update:

Still no parts here yet.... starting to doubt delivery. Shipper said he was sending 2 day guaranteed.... I was assuming UPS or Fedex 2-day.

Sigh. Nope. He shipped it USPS Priority Mail. :-(

HE said Priority Mail is always 2-days.... Not the week before XMAS! I just had 2 un-related items arrive that were sent Priority Mail and 1 took 5 days, the other 6 days! Suffice to say, now I'll be lucky to see it next week before XMAS.

So, rather than sitting on my hands, I dis-assembled the drone to look at all the parts. The damaged wing is NOT cracked or broken. It is really just BENT. So I removed all the electronics from the wing and went at it with my heat gun. I was able to successfully bend it back about half-way to where it needs to go.... still not fly-able, but enough that I could fire up the engines and test the other electronics.... so far- so good. I was going VERY slow trying to bend back the plastic body, so I will now try it again this evening/tomorrow AM and see if i can bend it back the rest of the way.

Not sure how much this may effect the aerodynamics though.... Ill have to wait to try a test flight to check it....

Anyways, cross your fingers for more bending success overnight!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

In the meantime, I finally editted together the song that included the final flight of the drone.... Watch the upper left of the picture at about 1:20.... you can see the blinking lights of the drone as it clips the tree :-(

Un-related note- Im really starting to like the software here that lets me blend multiple camera angles.... still learning it though!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's amazing that your ground video caught the hit ! It just looked like a distant Christmas light blinking with the music :-)
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here's a few aerials of my show too. The first one was early season with lots of leaves on the trees you can skip up to around the 3 minute mark for some better angles.

Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Here's a few aerials of my show too. The first one was early season with lots of leaves on the trees you can skip up to around the 3 minute mark for some better angles.
    Awesome!!!

Nice aerials- but love the show!

What equipment to capture the shots?