Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hello from Minnesnowda

It's not much, but I thought I'd share one of our videos from last year...

the DIGWDF Store... the place to go to find stuff you didn't know existed... or that anybody would even bother to make, for that matter. www.digwdf.com/store
    Likes Tripplett liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello from Minnesnowda

Thanks for sharing this. I've seen a lot of your posts and gadgets for sale on DIYC over the past few years.

I don't own any of your DirkCheap SSRs but pretty amazing that you have designed DMX channels for (I think) less than $1 each !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

welcome back to cc im still looking forward to working with you

Generally clueless... dirknerkle's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. I've seen a lot of your posts and gadgets for sale on DIYC over the past few years.

I don't own any of your DirkCheap SSRs but pretty amazing that you have designed DMX channels for (I think) less than $1 each !
    One of my goals has always been to find ways to lower the cost for a hobbiest to get into -- and hooked on -- this great hobby. I know Christmas Carolina has a high population of LOR users, and I think the world of LOR gear. It's tremendously solid, an outstanding performer, and you can really count on it. We all know the tremendous gratification we all feel when the show starts up on cue, and we hear "ooooohs" and "ahhhhhhhs" from visitors. For me, it's been tremendous fun experiencing that same level of gratification at the workbench by designing and building my own gear. Tweist and I collaborated on the Renzilla controller design and combining it with the DirkCheapSSRs that you referenced, one can build a 96 channel fully dimmable controller+SSR setup for about $200. And for about $50 more you can make it wireless to boot.

By lowering my cost, it gives me more opportunity to afford different prop ideas, such as these two that will be in my show this coming year: Santa's workshop and Elf House... they'll have animatronic figures inside, working away at building toys for all the girls and boys.... The basic structures are done so I'm currently working on the animatronics and scoring the original music tracks....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsci0171.jpg   -almost_done.jpg   -dsci0167.jpg   -dsci0075.jpg  
    the DIGWDF Store... the place to go to find stuff you didn't know existed... or that anybody would even bother to make, for that matter. www.digwdf.com/store

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dirk!

I thought I was the only one who kept Christmas display stuff stored in my living room.

Thanks for sharing that video....it's a song I've been wanting to do; I really like the group that did it, love the arrangement, and have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to synchronize the violin.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@dirknerkle - Awesome santas workshop .. great idea !

Yes, we were all LOR for quite a while. In our local Raleigh-centric area where we have our TASL club, we now have a growing list of Vixen users, several LSP, and one HLS user. For several years the TASL members were roughly at the same technical level, so we all seemed to be growing at a similar pace. But now we have lot of new users, and also people with very different interests. If we try to focus on any one thing too much then we lose the interest of the other members. So the club meetings now cover a wide range from the basics to the advanced. There are a lot more people at meetings, and that is always fun !
    Last edited by kidcole; 04-11-2014 at 02:36 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Generally clueless... dirknerkle's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stevens View Post
    Dirk!

I thought I was the only one who kept Christmas display stuff stored in my living room.

Thanks for sharing that video....it's a song I've been wanting to do; I really like the group that did it, love the arrangement, and have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to synchronize the violin.
    HAH! I have the whole basement to work in... I finished it about 14 years ago and nobody used it so I put all my junk down there and do whatever I want. I'd have even more room if I didn't have to store a whole bunch of my kids' furniture... arghghghghhh....

Sequencing the violins in that Celtic Woman selection isn't hard if you get the basic meter beat... It's actually scored in 6/8 so it goes 1-2-3 4-5-6... 1-2-3 4-5-6 but you really should think of it as a duple meter: 123 is the first beat, 456 the second beat. When you get that, it's pretty easy to come up with a rhythm pattern in your sequencer that mimics the syncopation. Then it's easy to just copy/paste that into your sequence on the 1-2 beats and you're nearly home free.

Other parts of the song are just 16ths over the 8th notes, where you hear the player (it's Miread, the violinist of the group) sawing back and forth on the strings quickly... 6 notes to every 3, which ends up sounding like doubletime..

It's a fun piece and they do a nice job with it. Wonderful musicians.