Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default My Christmas display videos

Here are videos of my display. I am still learning to shoot and edit video but thanks to Mel Welch I got a few okay videos for this year. Thank you again Mel.

On another note I apologize that I didn't use Wizards in Winter to properly show my display. I know it is so coveted by some because it is "popular" and is the only song that can ever possibly show the splendor of Christmas lights yet conveying the true meaning of Christmas. Again, please forgive me as I am only an amateur and promise to do better in the future.

Please share the first video with friends, as I would like to see that video go viral.

Edit, I have heard some questions about Deb's and The Puppies' vests, so I thought I would answer them in an edit. The vests are wireless and individually controlled. I ran out of sequencing time and didn't fully utilize the vests to their fullest, but the vests are individually controlled with 20 pixels on the pups vest and 40 on Deb's. Each of them have a rechargeable battery that is capable of 1.5 hours of use. The vest designs were prototyped by Deb and made by a seamstress friend. The Puppies really didn't mind wearing them as it was cold and the weight was distributed (by design) over their backs evenly.

Last edited by Al in Raleigh; 01-07-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: dog vests
    Al
    Likes Brad Caudill, scottmcl, SWood, mpurser liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: My Christmas display videos

al you lieing so n so im going to have to rethink my choice of hobby's now i don t think i can do another display now after seeing yours.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Looks very nice! What kinda of camera did you use?
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Looks very nice! What kinda of camera did you use?
    Thanks Shannon. I used my DSLR Canon 60D with a tripod. Mel helped me with the camera settings. I studied photography when I was younger and have always been interested in it. I shot 50 videos to get the 3 decent ones above. I used Adobe Premier Elements to edit the video. I got Adobe Premier Elements (not CS6 like Mel has) from Newegg for about $65. It also comes combined with Photoshop for about $105. I haven't explored the full depth of Premier enough to fix some of the crap that is wrong with the video but plan to do so in the future mainly because when I start using WIW I want my display to be the best it can be.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Thanks Shannon. I used my DSLR Canon 60D with a tripod. Mel helped me with the camera settings. I studied photography when I was younger and have always been interested in it. I shot 50 videos to get the 3 decent ones above. I used Adobe Premier Elements to edit the video. I got Adobe Premier Elements (not CS6 like Mel has) from Newegg for about $65. It also comes combined with Photoshop for about $105. I haven't explored the full depth of Premier enough to fix some of the crap that is wrong with the video but plan to do so in the future mainly because when I start using WIW I want my display to be the best it can be.
    Dawn has a 60D, how big of a memory card do you have? When she started vidoeing our display it keept cutting off every minute or so, never could figure out what the problem was. I use my sony HD Handycam but it struggles in the dark.
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Dawn has a 60D, how big of a memory card do you have? When she started vidoeing our display it keept cutting off every minute or so, never could figure out what the problem was. I use my sony HD Handycam but it struggles in the dark.
    I knew I liked Dawn. Don't tell her but it ain't the size that matters besides I have a really big memory card. What you might be experiencing is memory access lag. With the 60D you need at least a class 6 memory card. My cards (I have 3 that are 16GB each) are all class 10 with two being 45MB/s access speed and 1 with 30MB/s. Large format digital cameras use a lot of memory and need to store it quickly to clear a spot for new, so the memory access time is crucial.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I knew I liked Dawn. Don't tell her but it ain't the size that matters besides I have a really big memory card. What you might be experiencing is memory access lag. With the 60D you need at least a class 6 memory card. My cards (I have 3 that are 16GB each) are all class 10 with two being 45MB/s access speed and 1 with 30MB/s. Large format digital cameras use a lot of memory and need to store it quickly to clear a spot for new, so the memory access time is crucial.
    LOL you shoulda heard her laugh! I'll have to see about these BIG memory cards. LOL
    Shannon Wood

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

They always say you look like your pets.. lol.. nice job Al!
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

LOL you shoulda heard her laugh! I'll have to see about these BIG memory cards. LOL
    Dern, I forgot to mention that BestBuy had those cards on sale for about $25 which is a steal compared to $200 one cost me 2 years ago.
    Al
    Likes SWood liked this post

Official Lurker Christmascrazynana's Avatar
    Status
    Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al--you always have a surprise or two up your sleeve. Love the vests and your North Poles looked great. Beautiful display and so glad you were able to post as I didn't make it to Raleigh has planned. Deb is a good woman and the pups very well behaved and you do know how to put on a show

Nancy

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Nancy. The North Poles turned out much nicer than I expected. They were a lot of work though. I've had a few people want me to build vests for their dogs.I figured out the method with the prototypes. Maybe the next display will have lots of dogs in the neighborhood as part of the display.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al, The stars that are above the roof line do i even want to know how those are mounted up there? I'm thinking i don't as its probably a lot of work! Looks good. If you have a simple way of putting them up there i'm all ears. If it took forever then you want to do my house next year???

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    Al, The stars that are above the roof line do i even want to know how those are mounted up there? I'm thinking i don't as its probably a lot of work! Looks good. If you have a simple way of putting them up there i'm all ears. If it took forever then you want to do my house next year???
    The stars are not fastened to the roof and there are no weights holding it down other than its fairly lightweight stand. Post ten has pictures. I engineered the stand to spread the force over a larger area thus allowing gravity to hold the stars in place. In the recent and past wind storms that ripped down other people's displays, the stars had no problem at all staying firmly on the roof. The whole assembly for one star can be erected and assembled in less than 10 minutes. There are 5 pieces that I carry onto the roof by myself even though Walter has helped me a few times. Lots of people use wood or plastic for stuff like this, and they usually are the first to tout the advantages of using PVC or wood, in kind, the same people usually are the first to start whining after a wind storm snaps and breaks their supports. My stand was designed to store in a collapsed manner and be carried up a ladder by one man. The only problem I have now is that the one man (me) that should be carrying it up the ladder is aging and occasionally needs a younger man to help. I have been fortunate to have Walter when that need arose. The photos might show The Walter Star, it has sand bags on its stand that keeps it in place because the stand was designed to sit on the very edge of the opposing gable which doesn't allow for bracing forward of the star.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

@mrlightmadness - Here's a pic from a guy in Australia who mounted his under his eaves, and used guy wires to stabilize. That might work for you if you can't weld a more durable frame. Of course you'd have limited locations where you can place the star pole, and you would have to keep it as light as possible. They guy wires are important to this type of mount. This is more an example of the light duty mounts that Al mentioned. But could work if the eave mount was stronger than just a single board (and properly oriented guy wires). You'll also notice that his base pole is much shorter and probably only about 4 channels of lights on the pole. In contrast, I use a 10' black pipe pole for 7 channels of 14" light-bullets on the pole. I doubt if that would work with PVC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p1010114-firework-star.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Al -

The videos don't do your display justice. The camera foreshortens your front yard and makes it look like a "standard" 1/2 acre lot rather than the palatial estate you actually have. It was much better when I saw it in person, even if when I walked through your display with you I got winded because of its size and grade.