Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Getting Excited for Christmas 2010 .. looking back

I really got a burst of excitement yesterday. People have been asking me all week where they can find last year's News & Observer articles on my "light show." I even enjoyed checking it out myself and can't wait to see the new effects and lots more color control for this year. Here are the links for those who may not have seen them last year:

Video Web Report

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/techju...st-right-video

N&O News Article (Front Page !)

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/12/...ech-night.html

Also, because the video web report was unique in showing the house and people and fun, it also made the Yahoo home page for about 12 hours .. That was exciting ..

Overall, this was a lot of attention for my first year with synchronized lights. Al gave me a lot of his time in helping me to get a good start for my first year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -wildhome.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Getting Excited for Christmas 2010 .. looking back

I'm sure the TASL group will be of interest this year. The reporter was really interested in our group.

Where did you get the candy cane lights at 0:30 in the video?
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Those candycanes are about 9" tall. They are strings of about 8 candycanes per string. I combine several sets (maybe 4 ?) on one channel. They are all in a small tree about 8 feet tall to the left of the driveway. We bought them in an after-Christmas sale at Belks about 5 years ago for cheap money. I think I have seen them on eBay but I have not seen them in local stores (that I recall) ..

Here's a picture of the candycane "zone". It's not a good picture but shows them hanging in the tree. You'll also see my driveway row of larger candycanes (4 channels) to the right of them..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -candycane-zone.jpg  
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have some small candy cane lights very similar to these. I got them after Christmas last season from both K-Mart & Big Lots. The sets matched exactly. 8 candy canes per string and had a small cord for hanging or ground stake.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Deb said I can't have any candy canes. So, I spent most of the day figuring out how to hang the new candy canes.

Registered User LightsonBeasley's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    I really got a burst of excitement yesterday. People have been asking me all week where they can find last year's News & Observer articles on my "light show." I even enjoyed checking it out myself and can't wait to see the new effects and lots more color control for this year. Here are the links for those who may not have seen them last year:

Video Web Report

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/techju...st-right-video

N&O News Article (Front Page !)

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/12/...ech-night.html

Also, because the video web report was unique in showing the house and people and fun, it also made the Yahoo home page for about 12 hours .. That was exciting ..

Overall, this was a lot of attention for my first year with synchronized lights. Al gave me a lot of his time in helping me to get a good start for my first year.
    You know what... I remember seeing that pic of you standing in front of the house on the Yahoo home page.... Never saw the News and Observer article until now, but when I opened the article, I thought to myself the starting "powerful" image of you standing in front of your display looked familiar
    -Tory
    |||Facebook |||||| Twitter |||