Thread: Help: PIxel controller placement and selection (house outline)

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Help: PIxel controller placement and selection (house outline)

So Im planning to outline my house with pixels.

Im trying to determine the best location for the controllers, how many Ill need, and where I should put them.

Here's a rough sketch of my plan

peaks4 by PaulGLowe, on Flickr

The numbers in parenthesis are the # of smart pixel nodes per string.
    They will be 12v pixels so I was HOPING to get 100 pixels without having to inject power.

Also, I was thinking of adding 6 100 pixel arches as well, so i included those for planning as well.

I was THINKING of getting 2 pixlite-16's to handle this... or 3 pixlite-4's?

But not sure if thats overkill and/or do i have other issues to worry about (power injection)?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Help: PIxel controller placement and selection (house outline)

The longest I am running is about 16 feet and I am not having any trouble. But the shorter the lead wires, the safer you'll be. Your wire up to string #4 looks a bit long. I think you can get away with 100 bulb runs without power injection. The garage runs look good for 4 output controllers.

The arches could go either way, but cleaner with two smaller controllers. If you used the larger controller for the arches then you'd have to run wires in front of your stairs. Of course you'll at least have a network wire there. Or maybe up a couple stairs. You don't want to run network and power together.

Is there a passthru under the porch back towards the house ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with @kidcole, 12v pixels will work fine with 100 bulbs, no power injection needed. I am also concerned with the run to number 4 as well. The longest I'm running is about 70 feet, however I did change the resistor network on my E682. Does the PixLite controller allow you to change the data signal resistor value? You may want to look into that.
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK.... how about this.

INstead of 2 16-channel controllers,
    (2) 4-channel controllers, mounted up higher on house.
    (1) 4-channel controller on ground for arches

And with this config, I would daisy-chain both peaks over the garage and just inject power to the right side (purple line is power)

house6 by PaulGLowe, on Flickr

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    OK.... how about this.

INstead of 2 16-channel controllers,
    (2) 4-channel controllers, mounted up higher on house.
    (1) 4-channel controller on ground for arches

And with this config, I would daisy-chain both peaks over the garage and just inject power to the right side (purple line is power)

house6 by PaulGLowe, on Flickr
    I like this a lot better. If you decide that you like having the controllers down low for easy maintenance, then you could go with what Sam did with changing the resistors. It is also possible that the Pixlite controllers are tuned for more distance. But then sometimes the ones up close suffer from that. It's a balancing act. We should investigate this ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control