Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Ground ties on power injection

I can't imagine how the DMX would work for some and not for others. It would either work on not work. I have no experience with your controller. If you bought it from a US dealer then you should ask them for guidance. Also if each Cane is wired the same for easy maintenance, then swap them around so each cane gets tested in the positions that work (ahead of your injection). That would at least tell you that each cane is good. You could have an actual problem with your controller, or with one of your power supplies.

Use your multimeter and measure the voltage at the power supply and then again at each injection point. The voltage loss should be somewhat consistent compared with the length of each injection wire. The DoItYourselfChristmas.com wiki has a lot of details about wire gauge and voltage loss.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, I tried lots of things and I contacted David at Holiday Coro. I swapped things around all over the place, canes, wiring, etc... No difference in the result. It seems my issue is that I have branched off the main line. David mentioned that the RS485 is designed for sequential daisy chain wiring, so the branching with the Y's is what he thinks my issue is. When I tested this I didn't have the branch and I didn't have the problem. Since I can't easily get in-line on my existing floods, I've purchased another DMX dongle and will set the canes up on their own DMX universe. It cost another $50, but if it works, it's cheaper than me struggling with this setup in the cold.

Now if this doesn't work...
    Thanks!
    Paul

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry we didn't catch that.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

OK so along this same line I have a question. I have a Sandevices E8682 and it has two power inputs. I plan on feeding it with 2 400w power supplies. Should I tie the grounds together or do you think they are tied together on the board somehow? Never mind, removed and flipped the board over - the grounds are tied on the board.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    OK so along this same line I have a question. I have a Sandevices E8682 and it has two power inputs. I plan on feeding it with 2 400w power supplies. Should I tie the grounds together or do you think they are tied together on the board somehow? Never mind, removed and flipped the board over - the grounds are tied on the board.
    It is good insurance to also tie the grounds right on the power supplies if they are collocated. Particularly if you plan to do any power injection. MAKE SURE you only inject from the same power supply that is driving that particular string. Do not mix them up.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Well, I did some additional testing. I went directly from the DMX dongle to the tinypix and only drove the candy canes. Nothing else on the universe. I still have the same issue. At this point, I have no clue on what is going on with it. I'll probably pull the controller box in and recheck all of my connections there. It has to be something in my wiring or the controller itself.
    Thanks!
    Paul

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Problem solved.

The issue was the power wiring. Bob Moody was able to educate me on how to wire everything so that it worked correctly. Basically, the entire power needs to be looked at as a rail. Even the positive and negative are tied together between all the canes. New power is just Tee'd in where needed. In my original design, new positive and negative were coming in between canes 4 & 5 and at cane 9. I had brand new positive and negative coming at those points from a different power supply, but nothing connected from the previous cane. Without connecting positive and negative from cane 4 to cane 5 and cane 8 to cane 9, I kept having issues. As soon as they were all connected, everything was rock solid and perfect.

A HUGE thank you to Bob Moody and Dave from Holiday Coro for helping me figure this all out. Honestly, with out Bob's help and patience, I'd still be frustrated and scratching my head. Thanks to all of your for your advice as well. With out the help of others in this hobby, I'd never have the display I have today.

Thanks!
    Paul King
    http://www.facebook.com/kingchristmastlights

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm glad to hear that you worked it out.

Are you using the cable Ts from China or are you making your own connections ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I ended up making my own Ts. Lots of solder and shrinkwrap, but it's working great.
    Thanks!
    Paul

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hmmm..so are you sharing V+ across different power supplies? ....

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am very concerned if you are actually sharing V+ across two power supplies. That's dangerous for the pixels, the power supplies, or both ! That was why I was asking about the China "Ts" .. The middle connector on the 3 wire version is wired so you have to knowingly jumper V+ in order for V+ to travel backwards on the same strings. That way if you don't jumper it, your V+ only goes forward onto the next string. So I thought that might have kept you from mixing the V+. Of course when the same power supply is being used, the V+ should be able to drive in both directions when using a "T" ... but any connections from a second supply should not be allowed to drive back into the previous supply. Your description of a V+ RAIL is concerning. Power supplies do not work that way.
    Last edited by kidcole; 11-24-2014 at 11:32 AM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole