Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: not intelligent RGB LED m6's

You are on the right track. If you are going to try to put a full 5 meters on 3 DC channels (RGB) then the $99 one is what you need. It looks like it would handle 40 meters (8 full strips) quite well. While you are going to that much affort, you could do a parallel plan using pixels. Then group the pixels until the lengths you can deal with in software. You can combine the whole strip into one pixel if you want. But you could easily also divide a strip into 4 pixels or 8 pixels, so you can get some movement. The cost delta is not that much when you consider how much more you get .. and something you would be happy with for a very long time. Sam and I experimented with diffusing pixels using white wire-loom and it is gorgous .. Looks like neon tubes and the color balance is amazing all the way around ... Also with pixels you have an option to power them externally (colocate the power supplies with the strips), rather than having to go through the controller.

By the way, these are the waterproof connectors I am using, but not from this seller. Ray will also make up IP68 strips for you with these connectors already included. It is sometimes worth it to get them already wired and tested ..

White 5XSETS Waterproof 4pin Female Male Connector Cable 5050 3528 RGB LED Strip | eBay

I noticed Ray selling black versions of these on his store. He must have white also .. unless he's out right now ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    You are on the right track. If you are going to try to put a full 5 meters on 3 DC channels (RGB) then the $99 one is what you need. It looks like it would handle 40 meters (8 full strips) quite well. While you are going to that much affort, you could do a parallel plan using pixels. Then group the pixels until the lengths you can deal with in software. You can combine the whole strip into one pixel if you want. But you could easily also divide a strip into 4 pixels or 8 pixels, so you can get some movement. The cost delta is not that much when you consider how much more you get .. and something you would be happy with for a very long time. Sam and I experimented with diffusing pixels using white wire-loom and it is gorgous .. Looks like neon tubes and the color balance is amazing all the way around ... Also with pixels you have an option to power them externally (colocate the power supplies with the strips), rather than having to go through the controller.

By the way, these are the waterproof connectors I am using, but not from this seller. Ray will also make up IP68 strips for you with these connectors already included. It is sometimes worth it to get them already wired and tested ..

White 5XSETS Waterproof 4pin Female Male Connector Cable 5050 3528 RGB LED Strip | eBay

I noticed Ray selling black versions of these on his store. He must have white also .. unless he's out right now ..
    Just getting my mind wrapped around the dumb RGB strips and you bring up good points on the pixel controls.

Was thinking as far as programming it would be easier with just dumb rgb strips. Tho i guess there is nothing stopping me from running the pixel ones as dumb rgb strips and then add movement as i get time to program that. Using all dumb strips and then upgrading in the next year or so doesnt make much sense $$ as i'm going to be unhappy with all dumb strips when pixel control isnt much more.

Got a ton of questions but going to try and limit them until i get a bit more research done.

As far as strips like
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

we are limited by how many we can connect end to end not due to amperage because we can inject DC voltage back into them but limited by the total number of pixels we can control per Universe? A strip like this how many is the max before we run out of pixel control (universe)

Can you point me to an example or 2 of controllers?

I'm currently using the show time director and was looking at using the iDMX1000, but going with pixel control i guess thats out? Or is it still possible to do this? I remember there being some type of limit with the iDMX1000 but cant remember what it was.

Appreciate all the help / time that you have already given me.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So i just finished reading the bible "aus christmas lighting 101 manual rev1.pdf" that helped a lot along with i did get to play with a rgb dummy kit i ordered along with an extra power supply and 3 channel controller. been reading what i can find on the web. I do have a question on the pixels and how many channels it uses.

i'm going to use this as a reference.
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store

i understand in pixels each chip uses 3 channels out of the 512... or well 510. The chip is what burns the 3 channels because its possible to have more then 1RGB light per chip.

so my question on the strip above is for the entire 5m strip how man chips or channels does that use? its
    Smart LED STRIP RGB WS2811 IC chips SMD5050
    30pcs 5050 RGB LED With 10paths driver IC inside to drive 10 pixels,

Led Qty: 30per SMD 5050 meter

if its 10ic inside to drive 10 pixels that would be 30 channels but is that per meter? so in the 5 meter strip that would be 150 channels?

any more help would be greatly appreciated when someone gets time. Realize its the holiday season and everyone is spending time with there family and making final fixes on there lights.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mrlightmadness View Post
    So i just finished reading the bible "aus christmas lighting 101 manual rev1.pdf" that helped a lot along with i did get to play with a rgb dummy kit i ordered along with an extra power supply and 3 channel controller. been reading what i can find on the web. I do have a question on the pixels and how many channels it uses.

i'm going to use this as a reference.
    Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu's store

i understand in pixels each chip uses 3 channels out of the 512... or well 510. The chip is what burns the 3 channels because its possible to have more then 1RGB light per chip.

so my question on the strip above is for the entire 5m strip how man chips or channels does that use? its
    Smart LED STRIP RGB WS2811 IC chips SMD5050
    30pcs 5050 RGB LED With 10paths driver IC inside to drive 10 pixels,

Led Qty: 30per SMD 5050 meter

if its 10ic inside to drive 10 pixels that would be 30 channels but is that per meter? so in the 5 meter strip that would be 150 channels?

any more help would be greatly appreciated when someone gets time. Realize its the holiday season and everyone is spending time with there family and making final fixes on there lights.
    Yes, we can dig in deeper with your design and plans after the holidays. I've not had much time here. I am still working on additions to my show as much as I can.

You are on the right track with the pixels. Each meter has 10 pixels (30 channels RGB). So 5 meters is 50 pixels (150 channels RGB). I use the San Devices E681 pixel controllers. The J1Sys ECG series also looks real nice, but I don't have any experience with them. FastEddy uses those.

For your dumb RGBs and your starter kit, each one of those little controllers uses 3 channels. You have to program the start address of each one so they are unique ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    Yes, we can dig in deeper with your design and plans after the holidays. I've not had much time here. I am still working on additions to my show as much as I can.

You are on the right track with the pixels. Each meter has 10 pixels (30 channels RGB). So 5 meters is 50 pixels (150 channels RGB). I use the San Devices E681 pixel controllers. The J1Sys ECG series also looks real nice, but I don't have any experience with them. FastEddy uses those.

For your dumb RGBs and your starter kit, each one of those little controllers uses 3 channels. You have to program the start address of each one so they are unique ..
    cool appreciate your help. Did wire up the starter kit yesterday and did change the channels on them so they were unique. 1st one 1-3, second 4-6, so on so forth. hooked it up to LOR and got to play with them some.

It was like I was a kid in a candy store again!!!

Watched couple hours of videos and way to many hours of reading different forms and books.

Have been checking out the San Devices E681 and strips. Keep wanting to go really big and then stop myself and think maybe I should just do 4 arches with the strip pixels and then dumb strips for mini trees and snow flakes. More planning after the holidays and after i get my current setup taken down.

appreciate you taking time from your display and helping a beginner to RGB. Going to have to search for some videos of your setup.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sam Johnson was working on some pixel strip arches with 1.5" White Wire Loom around them. My RGB tree has the white wire-loom (Sam and I shared 100' of it). The color is amazingly even all around and looks almost like neon. The way I mounted mine will not work for arches. Sam was working on curved mounting ideas for the strips and wire-loom. Perhaps he will see this discussion and post some pics ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Little more expensive but was looking at half inch white pex pipe. I have a 10 ft pipe to test this with as soon as I get some strips of lights. Pipe they use for water in your house and outside as we'll as sprinkler systems.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default not intelligent RGB LED m6's

I need to take pictures, but I used intelligent LED strips inside 1/2 inch PEX to make a vertical matrix. They are about 7 ft tall. I built a frame with 3/4 PVC pipe and tied the PEX to that. 9 pipes about 4-6 inches apart look good!
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    I need to take pictures, but I used intelligent LED strips inside 1/2 inch PEX to make a vertical matrix. They are about 7 ft tall. I built a frame with 3/4 PVC pipe and tied the PEX to that. 9 pipes about 4-6 inches apart look good!
    would love to see pix of it either in action or if you have video of it online point me in the direction. This is the first year that i haven't really made it out to go and see Christmas lights. Usually I drive to a good many locations. To many things came up this year and i'm disappointed as i get ideas of what i like from other displays i see.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Will try to get pictures soon. If the rain stops tonight, I may be able to...
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

no hurry even after taking your display down and running default sequence would be a big help.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am going to be shooting for RGB "Smart Strings " and "Dumb Strings" next year. I use controllers from DiyLightAnimation - Index and they support addressing individual or whole strands of lights. There are links in the hardware section to where you can find the different light strings/strips available. I would be interested if anyone else has had luck with something else.
    2011 - First Show 32 Channels

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Note that the "Smart Strings" are just "normal" intelligent pixel strips of a certain type, and are available from several places. I believe the Smart Strings are just TM1809 pixel type strings. If you check out the wiki on either DIYC or AusChristmasLighting.com as well, you'll see there are several types of pixel chips available, and several types of controllers to drive them.

The dumb strings are also readily available and can be driven by DC controllers from several manufacturers and sites.

This is not meant to discourage you from using the stuff from DIYLightAnimation (DLA), just to let you know there are several options.

And in case you didn't know, DIYC stands for doityourselfchristmas.com, where lots of folks hang out and come up with ways to do this stuff. It's a little more hands-on than PlanetChristmas or LOR, but it's still for the same reason - to make somebody smile during the holidays.

The local Raleigh group, TASL, has frequent meetings where we talk about this stuff...alot!
    Mark

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Note that the "Smart Strings" are just "normal" intelligent pixel strips of a certain type, and are available from several places. I believe the Smart Strings are just TM1809 pixel type strings. If you check out the wiki on either DIYC or AusChristmasLighting.com as well, you'll see there are several types of pixel chips available, and several types of controllers to drive them.

The dumb strings are also readily available and can be driven by DC controllers from several manufacturers and sites.

This is not meant to discourage you from using the stuff from DIYLightAnimation (DLA), just to let you know there are several options.

And in case you didn't know, DIYC stands for doityourselfchristmas.com, where lots of folks hang out and come up with ways to do this stuff. It's a little more hands-on than PlanetChristmas or LOR, but it's still for the same reason - to make somebody smile during the holidays.

The local Raleigh group, TASL, has frequent meetings where we talk about this stuff...alot!
    yes been reading a lot of other boards as well. Wish shipping wasn't so much to get some of this stuff from china. Would be nice to test out a strip and see how it works. But as much as shipping cost you might as well buy a few to save on overall shipping. For smart strips i'm still leaning towards sandevice e682. for my basic dumb strips still looking at doing a mixture of 3 channel 12 volt along with 8 or 9 channel dmx (24 or 27) total channels. i'm not tied down towards any one place as far as my next purchase yet.

I do have a question for someone that is using the sandevice e682 or 681 device. Says you can power the controller and then run all the pixels from there not using another power supply. Tho wouldnt this limit you as I believe it maxes out at 32 amps.

"Each power inlet supplies power to 8 pixel outputs and is
    rated to carry up to 32 amps. The E682 itself is typically powered from the right-hand (clusters 3 and 4) pixel power supply, but may also be powered independently by a power
    supply that is capable of providing 7-24 volts DC at about 300ma, connected to J19."

if you did the small power supply then you could control the max of 6 universes which if all fully loaded would be more then the 32 total amps this board can support. you are able to do this because you would be using multiple power supplies.

or am i missing something here?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

As Denny and I will tell you, I have 4 E681's. Denny has a few as well.

You can run roughly 30 amps per side of the E68x, so you can run 60-70 Amps thru a single board.

I don't run that much, since my fixtures with lights aren't that big. Next year is probably a pixel tree, provided things work out. That will take more power, but I'm thinking of half a tree, rather than a full tree.

You can get strings/strips from some US sellers as well. DIYLEDexpress.com will be having a presale in January and shipping is reasonable. I bought my SmartString equivalent 1809 strips from Todd there. I've dealt with him for over a year, and he's a recommended vendor on DIYC.

You don't have to inject power just thru the E68x. You can also supply power directly to the strings. You just have to a common ground between the power supply running the E68x and the one supplying the strings.

I'll try to take some pictures of my setup for my strips - I run a single 12V power supply in the same enclosure as the E681, and drive those 9 strips of 72 pixels each from there.

Have a great Christmas!
    Mark