Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crash course in pixels, I must be insane?

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Crash course in pixels, I must be insane?

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I got my stuff from Ray today! I am looking over the items and thinking about the colors of the waterproof connectors. Is there a TASL/CC standard for these things? They have a green, blue, black and reddish/brown wire. I was thinking along the lines of reddish/brown - positive, black - negative/ground, green - data, blue - clock. I noticed the color changes on different pixel products, so it doesn't really matter there. It was more along the lines of "I'm having an issue with my arch, can I bring it over and try your pixel controller?" without having to rewire the plug.
    Data is blue and clock is green for what I have made. But, that is only for the connectors with red and black wiring to +/-. In IEC wiring standards blue is -and brown is +. We don't worry about that for our stuff. Blue is data and green is clock. Where that becomes really important is for connectors. The downstream wiring can be whatever but the connector is what interfaces to the outside world.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Data is blue and clock is green for what I have made. But, that is only for the connectors with red and black wiring to +/-. In IEC wiring standards blue is -and brown is +. We don't worry about that for our stuff. Blue is data and green is clock. Where that becomes really important is for connectors. The downstream wiring can be whatever but the connector is what interfaces to the outside world.
    So may varying standards... I guess I'll follow your lead in an effort to standardize the waterproof plugs.

Red/Brown - Positive
    Black - Negitive/Ground
    Blue - Data
    Green - Clock

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The color coding was decided for me by the pixel manufacturers. The colors just matched what they used for all the different types that I bought. I know some pixels come with different colored wiring but the colors above seem to be popular with the Chinese.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I need to get me a green clock.
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, I wired up my power supply, and it has already appeared to fail. I cannot get any response from it. Has anyone had experiences with failed supplies from Ray? I know the page said there was a 2 year warranty, but It will more than likely cost less to order another one than go through the hassle and get this one shipped back.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Please describe what happened when it failed, how long it ran before failing, was there any magic smoke ect.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I connected up the line wires (120v), changed the voltage switch and plugged it in. It started right up, making a ton of noise as the fan came on full blast, never-mind the sticker that mentions that it is controlled by a temperature sensor. I started to check the voltage using my multimeter and tested the output leads, and everything was ok. I let it run for a little bit more to "burn it in" before connecting it to my E682, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a blue flash from the side vent near the center (away from the terminals), heard a pop and then no fan or power light. I quickly unplugged the unit and it was just the supply itself, it didn't trip the breaker. After letting it sit for a bit I plugged it back in thinking it was some sort of protection circuit tripping, and nothing. Just dead. No magic smoke, no strange smell, no load on the supply, and no short on the terminals. It ran for at most 5 minutes before failing.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    I connected up the line wires (120v), changed the voltage switch and plugged it in. It started right up, making a ton of noise as the fan came on full blast, never-mind the sticker that mentions that it is controlled by a temperature sensor. I started to check the voltage using my multimeter and tested the output leads, and everything was ok. I let it run for a little bit more to "burn it in" before connecting it to my E682, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a blue flash from the side vent near the center (away from the terminals), heard a pop and then no fan or power light. I quickly unplugged the unit and it was just the supply itself, it didn't trip the breaker. After letting it sit for a bit I plugged it back in thinking it was some sort of protection circuit tripping, and nothing. Just dead. No magic smoke, no strange smell, no load on the supply, and no short on the terminals. It ran for at most 5 minutes before failing.
    Yes thats dead and I have experienced this before and why I always say that if you choose to use the cheap Ray Wu power supplies than to always have a backup

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddy View Post
    Yes thats dead and I have experienced this before and why I always say that if you choose to use the cheap Ray Wu power supplies than to always have a backup
    I can see that now... oh well. Lesson learned, good thing it wasn't a very expensive one (better the supply than frying the E680, or the pixels!).

Thank you for your assessment!

PS - are the fans really tempature controlled, or do they all run at jet engine speed?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have found some are temp controlled and others are load controlled. But with no load the fan shouldnt be flat out.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have a 350W/12v ps from Ray and the fan is on what sounds full out all the time...with no load or just turned on...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Alright, I took these pictures a while back, and completely forgot about them. Once I received the replacement power supply, I had my father take apart the broken one to see what went wrong.

The fan may have been load based, it makes sense considering that the two bus bars (ground, and +12v) were bent far enough they were touching each other. This would have caused a full short on the DC side. That would cause the fan to run at 100%, and eventually break as it did. Now I thought this supply had overload protection, but that particular circuitry may have been bypassed by this event.

-p1060755.jpg

-p1060759.jpg

-p1060763.jpg
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0