Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash course in pixels, I must be insane?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Crash course in pixels, I must be insane?

well, I too am just starting my sequencing for pixels that I just got. however, I suggest you do what I am doing...sequence as a string...not pixel by pixel. do that to get your show done...then you can always go back and add in flare...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, I'm now looking at pixel strings and all of them seem to have "8mm LED". How does this differ from the 5050's that are discussed so much? Is it because the 5050s are used for surface mount in the modules and strips while the 8mm are used in the node type pixel strings?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Samj435 View Post
    Ok, I'm now looking at pixel strings and all of them seem to have "8mm LED". How does this differ from the 5050's that are discussed so much? Is it because the 5050s are used for surface mount in the modules and strips while the 8mm are used in the node type pixel strings?
    Yes you are correct
    5050 LEDs are much more directional then what 8mm LED strings and are traditionally used with strip and modules.

I use mostly 12vdc strip with 5050 LEDs as I find this much easier to manage than 5vdc pixel strings and voltage drop, I personally think for outlines that strip is better to use because it gives a very clear and defined line and only really shines the light one way which will not give much wash back onto the house, You then use floods to shine back onto the house to then give you additional control of your colour wash. You can get effects like using one colour for the outline whilst using a different colour for the wash.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, here is my first product selection: Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu's store

Now I noticed that every 3 LED's are tied together, so at 30 5050s each meter, that means only 10 IC's every ~3 feet. These are the strips I'm planning on using for my arches. With the distance between controllable regions, is this enough? Should I look for a strip that has IC's at every LED, or keep the triple and go to 60 5050s per meter? There are no IP ratings, but it appears to be in the fully enclosed sleeve, so that *should* be IP 68.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, here is my first product selection: Aliexpress.com : Buy 5m led digital strip,DC12V input,WS2811IC(256 scale);10pcs IC and 30pcs 5050 SMD RGB each meter;waterproof from Reliable led dream color strip suppliers on Ray wu's store

Now I noticed that every 3 LED's are tied together, so at 30 5050s each meter, that means only 10 IC's every ~3 feet. These are the strips I'm planning on using for my arches. With the distance between controllable regions, is this enough? Should I look for a strip that has IC's at every LED, or keep the triple and go to 60 5050s per meter? There are no IP ratings, but it appears to be in the fully enclosed sleeve, so that *should* be IP 68.
    I have used nothing but the 3 LED per pixel strip, I now use the strip you linked to above. i bought 18 strips of the 2811 strip this year and every strip worked out of the box so i was very happy with quality for the price.

What you find is that when viewed from the street the resolution is ideal and individual pixel control seems to be a waste. Also single pixel requires more channel management and more load on your sequencer and computer as well as more controllers, and its just so hard to go past the cheap price of the 2811 strip.

So each section of the 2811 strip is 100mm in size which gives you 10 sections per metre, so even using this with a small 2 metre arch will still give you 20 sections of control which is more than enough.

Im not sure if you have seen the video of my last year display but you can see that all the digital strip used is 3 LEDs per pixel and in reality if i used single LED per pixel i doubt anyone would ever know the difference except my wife and pocket.

Now as far as the ip65 rating this is more because of the ends of the strip and not the actual strip itself, it is easy enough to add some extra silicone to the end of the strip to ensure it doesnt let water in, otherwise its as good as IP68

Now you can get 60 led/m strip now days that is individually controlled, i would use this more for matrices. The 60 LED/m strip is extremely bright and in most cases may be an overkill as it may overpower all your other lights.

Remember its a christmas light display so the audience will not really notice having single pixel control or 60 LED/m strip compared to using cheap 2811 30LED/M strip, but they will definetly notice having more lights, so I personally would rather spend my money on more lights than on lights with 60 LED/m or single pixel control, but thats just my opinion.

You also should be able to get at least 10 metres between arches as the 2811 can get a decent distance between pixels

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddy View Post
    I have used nothing but the 3 LED per pixel strip, I now use the strip you linked to above. i bought 18 strips of the 2811 strip this year and every strip worked out of the box so i was very happy with quality for the price.

You also should be able to get at least 10 metres between arches as the 2811 can get a decent distance between pixels
    How about the distance of the strip before you must inject power back into it? I'm thinking of 10ft arches (3 meters), and 4 of them. So that would be 12 meters of strip.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

How about the distance of the strip before you must inject power back into it? I'm thinking of 10ft arches (3 meters), and 4 of them. So that would be 12 meters of strip.
    I tested my 4 x 2 metre arches connected together just last night without any injection and it worked perfectly, but i didnt have it with an extension cable, so i may need to supply power at the end of the 4th arch, but ill see if thats needed. But generally with the 12v strip you supply power from the begining of the first strip and then inject between the 2nd and 3rd strip, 4th and 5th strip, so not as many injection points needed as what is needed for 5vdc lighting

So with what you propose i reakon supply from the beginning and then supply between the 3rd and 4th arch will definetly be good enough for your needs, you could even just inject at the end of the 4th strip instead if thats easier for you.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is my selection on pixel bulbs for my megastar - Aliexpress.com : Buy DC12 input WS2801 IP68 led pixel module,256scale gray,IP68;4wire(red/green/blue/black);100pcs a string from Reliable LED PIXEL NODE suppliers on Ray wu's store

And my selection for my RGB 6" treeballs - Aliexpress.com : Buy LED digital module,WS2811IC 5050 3LEDS;DC12V input,waterproof,20pcs a string;256 gray scale from Reliable WS2811 RGB string suppliers on Ray wu's store

I now need a 12V supply. Should I get one that fits into a CG-1500 as I have seen so many people get, or get a waterproof one and put it outside the box with the pixel controller?

Also, how do people go about buying the items? I keep hearing about getting Ray Wu to send an invoice, how is that done? Does it really save that much on shipping if you do that?

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Here is my selection on pixel bulbs for my megastar - Aliexpress.com : Buy DC12 input WS2801 IP68 led pixel module,256scale gray,IP68;4wire(red/green/blue/black);100pcs a string from Reliable LED PIXEL NODE suppliers on Ray wu's store

And my selection for my RGB 6" treeballs - Aliexpress.com : Buy LED digital module,WS2811IC 5050 3LEDS;DC12V input,waterproof,20pcs a string;256 gray scale from Reliable WS2811 RGB string suppliers on Ray wu's store

I now need a 12V supply. Should I get one that fits into a CG-1500 as I have seen so many people get, or get a waterproof one and put it outside the box with the pixel controller?

Also, how do people go about buying the items? I keep hearing about getting Ray Wu to send an invoice, how is that done? Does it really save that much on shipping if you do that?
    I own some of those pixels and they are great except for the wires can leak water if you dont inspect them carefully. If you contact Ray he will tell you how to pay for them and paypal is the usual way. I dont use enclosures for pixels. I use waterproof supplies and mount them to the prop. Remember the talk I gave about the North Poles?
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    If you contact Ray he will tell you how to pay for them and paypal is the usual way.
    Sam do you speak chinese?
    Shannon Wood
    XLights 4 User with 40,000 channels and 60,000 lights.
    Facebook | Vimeo | Twitter

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by SWood View Post
    Sam do you speak chinese?
    Funny, ha ha. Sam speaks Engrish.

I learned a few words/phrases of Cantonese while I visited a few cities in China (not Hong Kong though). I can say, "how much is that" or in Cantonese, "Howy muchy" which came in really handy. Sometimes you have to scream it at them because they act hard of hearing. Another useful phrase is, "tooy muchy money, you crazy". And the one phrase that came in really handy, "noy I don't eaty dogey noy Ruff Ruff".
    Al
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I own some of those pixels and they are great except for the wires can leak water if you dont inspect them carefully. If you contact Ray he will tell you how to pay for them and paypal is the usual way. I dont use enclosures for pixels. I use waterproof supplies and mount them to the prop. Remember the talk I gave about the North Poles?
    So let me get this straight:

All I have to do is send Ray an e-mail with the product ID numbers and quantity, request DHL shipping and wait for him to post an invoice in the store?

I'm still looking at power supplies. As everything will be either on my tree or right next to it, the longest cable run from the controller and supply will be 20 feet. It won't look that bad with all the other cables on the ground near the tree anyway. My only problem now is finding a supply that will fit in a CG1500. Ray seems to list everything on his site as 1x1x1cm^3, so I can't quite measure. What supplies have people used that fit in the CG1500? I have seen many pictures of boxes configured that way.

Also, I've settled on the E682 in Kit form, as it is most cost effective, and it seems lots of TASL members have an E68x series controller so that I may get some help if I need it for whatever reason.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You send him an email with what you want. He sends you an email with a "proforma" invoice for the amount. He will include an email address for Paypal to transfer him money. Call me if you need help with Paypal. He selects the shipping company and away you go. You send him the money and he sends you a shipping number when the product ships. I've ordered lots of stuff from him and other vendors. Some vendors want bank transfers which isn't hard I can explain how it works but not on CC. I use them in my business and for large things we have bought in other states. Ray wants Paypal which is really easy.

Below is a listing that he sent me a few months back of his powersupplies.

switch mode power supply.xls
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks Al! With these dimensions, I'll have it figured out quickly!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got my stuff from Ray today! I am looking over the items and thinking about the colors of the waterproof connectors. Is there a TASL/CC standard for these things? They have a green, blue, black and reddish/brown wire. I was thinking along the lines of reddish/brown - positive, black - negative/ground, green - data, blue - clock. I noticed the color changes on different pixel products, so it doesn't really matter there. It was more along the lines of "I'm having an issue with my arch, can I bring it over and try your pixel controller?" without having to rewire the plug.