Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default RGB Modules help

I've started RGB stuff this year and already have 2 sets of the LOR CCPixels, but, I found FastEddy’s Candy Cane design
    Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions
    and wanted to do some of those. That being said, I have a few questions.

First: these are the 3 things I know I need, or something similar,
    HolidayCoro RGB LED 5050 Rectangle Module
    Power Supplies
    HolidayCoro 3 Channel RGB DMX Controller

What else will I need to hook all of these up?
    I’m using LOR equipment. (4) CTB16PC, (2) DIY CTB16PC and (1 ) LOR1602W.

Second: Will I need another LOR controller for the DMX universe or does the HolidayCoro 3 Channel RGB DMX Controller suffice?
    I’m just going to use them to change from R-G-B (I think Dumb RGB modules?)
    If the controller above will suffice, how do I get it in my existing LOR network?

This may of course, be a project for 2013. We’ll see.
    Thanks for any help anybody can give me.
    Ron
    2014 Specs: 11,739 Channels of RGB Basic and Intelligent pixels. 5216 Total RGB, LEDs
    WebSite: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....istmasLightShow Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user12233488

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: RGB Modules help

This will be difficult to explain in a short reply. The modules you are looking at are called the DUMB modules, meaning they must be wired to a separate three channel controller. They can be ganged obviously with multiples of them on one controller. But Eddy's candy canes have smart chips and are wired in a string to an E1.31 pixel type controller. Eddy has ganged the front and back together in pairs, but he's driving 8 smart modules on each side for a total of 16 modules. You could do it with any DC controller but you need 24 channels per candy cane plus 16 of the DUMB modules per candy cane. This would be very expensive going this route.

Also you would need to move the the new LOR software for E1.31 support - - which is not out yet. You would also have to decide if you want to have to program the pixels line by line or if you would buy superstar. We were discussing that topic last night, and

Then you would need to buy a controller such as the SanDevices E680 or E681 controllers, or the ECG stuff. These are in the range of $150 to $200. Then you can control about 680 pixels, roughly 2000 channels with one of those if you loaded it. Then you would need the smart modules (not DUMB ones) that have a pixel controller chip on each module. There are different versions of the smart modules depending on which chip they have on them. I prefer the WS2801. Here's a link example of smart modules that Eddy used with the 6803 chip:

Aliexpress.com : Buy 20pcs a string;led pixel module,3pcs SMD RGB 5050,1pcs LPD6803,32 gray level,DC12V,0.72W'waterproof from Reliable LED PIXEL MODULE suppliers on Ray wu's store

And of course some 12V power supplies. There's a lot more to decide including how you plan to wire them, where the power supplies would be located, where the E680x would be located (you need to keep things fairly close to avoid communication problems. And of course now you will be driving this portion of your network with Ethernet instead of through your LOR adapter.

Another way to wire up Eddy's candy canes would be to use dumb modules and wire every other dumb module together (gang four of them on each side). You would still use 16 dumb modules and you would need two of the 3-channel controllers per candy cane. Then you could not get the chasing effects but you could get the Red-white white-red, green-white white-green, etc etc effects.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

You should also be able to just use a DMX protocol decoder like this one: Aliexpress.com : Buy Mini protocol Decoder;DMX to LPD6803,512 dmx address decoded from Reliable dmx decoder suppliers on Ray wu&#39;s store Then just add a new LOR dongle (in Raw DMX mode) or OpenDMX one to your PC and away you go.
    David - Wilmington, NC
    http://www.wilmingtonchristmaslights.com
    with over 5400 channels using 8 x LOR CTB16PC, 1 x Falcon F16V2, 1 ECG-P2, 1 ECG-D2, 1 x Raspberry Pi 2 + FPP

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by davecw View Post
    You should also be able to just use a DMX protocol decoder like this one: Aliexpress.com : Buy Mini protocol Decoder;DMX to LPD6803,512 dmx address decoded from Reliable dmx decoder suppliers on Ray wu's store Then just add a new LOR dongle (in Raw DMX mode) or OpenDMX one to your PC and away you go.
    This is a pretty good idea ! There are a couple minor issues I would wonder about. First I wonder if that decoder could handle the wire-gap from one candycane to the next. Otherwise you may need one of those per candycane. It would take some experimentation I suppose. Second is you would probably have to wire the full candycane (front and back) as separate modules, rather than mirroring front and back. That would mean 48 DMX channels per candy cane .. which still easily within one domain. Of course it that would let you create different effects front and back if you want. I like this idea ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ron,
    The 3-channel controllers from HolidayCoro will work just fine.

You do need to purchase another LOR or DMX dongle, so that you can output DMX to those 3-channel controllers. S3 has support for DMX output now.

As you mentioned, you need a 3-channel controller for each candy-cane or each segment of RGB strip that you want to individually control. You also need to have the 3-channel controllers addressed correctly. You can get HolidayCoro to do that for you, or you would need to buy the programming software that HolidayCoro has...

As Denny and Dave mentioned, there are several other ways to "skin the cat", but the simplest one is to buy the 3-channel controllers, Power supply and LED modules all from the same place. I've gotten several things from HolidayCoro and he has made it easy to make it all work together.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by dariansdad View Post
    I've started RGB stuff this year and already have 2 sets of the LOR CCPixels, but, I found FastEddy’s Candy Cane design
    Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions
    and wanted to do some of those. That being said, I have a few questions.

First: these are the 3 things I know I need, or something similar,
    HolidayCoro RGB LED 5050 Rectangle Module
    Power Supplies
    HolidayCoro 3 Channel RGB DMX Controller

What else will I need to hook all of these up?
    I’m using LOR equipment. (4) CTB16PC, (2) DIY CTB16PC and (1 ) LOR1602W.
    As what has already been said, using the 3 channel controller will only give you a dumb candy cane that cant even alternate colours between pixels.
    The other way is to use 2 x 3 channel controllers or a ray Wu $44 27 channel controller to then have two circuits going to your candy cane connected to alternating modules. This wont allow a chase over the cane itself but will allow you to have alternating colours
    The final way is the way i do it and thats just to use pixels. There are many advantages to this, You can do chases over individual canes plus more, you require less cabling as the candy canes are just daisy chained together (you will need power injection when connecting many canes together), The cost of a string of 2811 modules ($14) compared to dumb modules ($11.80) is only $2.20 per 20 string of modules. The cost of a J1sys uDCG-P2 pixel controller will be $42 which could run a up to 64 8 module candy canes

So there are 3 ways to build a candy cane, with each one having different qualaties

Quote Originally Posted by dariansdad View Post
    Second: Will I need another LOR controller for the DMX universe or does the HolidayCoro 3 Channel RGB DMX Controller suffice?
    I’m just going to use them to change from R-G-B (I think Dumb RGB modules?)
    If the controller above will suffice, how do I get it in my existing LOR network?

Ron
    So if you just want dumb candy canes then any DC controller will work, you can even keep it real simple and just purchase a LOR DC board to control your candy canes, that way you dont need to go down the DMX path.
    If DMX is the way you want to go then you will need a DMX dongle and advanced copy of LOR S3 to be able to create a DMX universe which in the end may be more expensive than just using some LOR DC boards if you need to buy both.
    As far as connecting DMX to LOR, i am of no help as i dont use LOR S3, but there are plenty of others that do that can help

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Ron,
    The 3-channel controllers from HolidayCoro will work just fine.

You do need to purchase another LOR or DMX dongle, so that you can output DMX to those 3-channel controllers. S3 has support for DMX output now.

As you mentioned, you need a 3-channel controller for each candy-cane or each segment of RGB strip that you want to individually control. You also need to have the 3-channel controllers addressed correctly. You can get HolidayCoro to do that for you, or you would need to buy the programming software that HolidayCoro has...

As Denny and Dave mentioned, there are several other ways to "skin the cat", but the simplest one is to buy the 3-channel controllers, Power supply and LED modules all from the same place. I've gotten several things from HolidayCoro and he has made it easy to make it all work together.
    I was assuming that he wanted the same look and movement as in Eddy's video. In that case he would need 8 3-channel controllers per candy cane. One controller would not be enough to get the red/white combinations. So at least two required per candy cane for the simple look.

It could be almost as expensive just to get the basic look. So going for the pixels is much better value for the investment .. And now you'd have an amazing array of possible patterns in the sequencing. Since I have a large row of candy canes up my driveway and front walk, I have considered Eddy's as a replacement. I'll have to wait until 2014 because my ideas are overflowing for this year (and I'm off for 2013) ..
    Last edited by kidcole; 06-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this. I thought I sent a response from the phone, but it doesn't look like it made it through. Fantastic info from all of you folks and I appreciate it very much. Reading through your replies, I realized I may not have made it completely clear what I was envisioning. (no surprise that I couldn't articulate. I am from Tennessee, you know):-)
    Ok, here goes, What I wanted in the canes, were just to be able to alternate colors, similar to the effect at the very beginning of FastEddy's video (GW - RW etc.) I do understand about not getting the chase effect, although I did not when I first posted. I can step up to the full effect after more research on the Pixel, E681, DMX, E1.31 support and such, but I'm just not that far along yet. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the different pixel stuff. The LOR CCBs were relatively simple, plug and play and away I went. I'm just needing a quick, simple, and inexpensive addition to add to this year's display. I've already pretty much exhausted the budget this year. Maybe next year for the canes. I may just buy another CCB string and make some arches. Thanks again for the info guys. I have some more fuel for the fire in research to do and maybe add them for 2013.

Thanks for all the help,
    Ron
    2014 Specs: 11,739 Channels of RGB Basic and Intelligent pixels. 5216 Total RGB, LEDs
    WebSite: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....istmasLightShow Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user12233488

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So to achieve what you want cheaply then this is what you would get
    Note, the power supply is based on a maximum of supplying enough power to run 7 x 8 module candy canes. If more candy canes are needed, you can either use an additional power supply or get a larger rated power supply.

Each candy cane would use 6 channels, 3 channels for each alternating module.

From Ray Wu

Rectangular modules $11.50 per string of 20 (58 cents each)
    27 Channel DMX DC Controller $44.21
    12VDC 50 watt DC Power Supply $7.05

Total: $62.76

Ask Ray for combined shipping to save

From Holiday Coro

Rectangular Modules $21.80 per string of 20 ($1.09 each)
    24 channel DC DMX Controller $74.99
    12VDC 45 watt Power Supply $12.99

Total $109.78

For both the above options you would also require an advanced version of LOR S3 to enable DMX, you will also need either a DMX dongle or another LOR dongle used in DMX mode.

The other option is to use the 16 channel LOR DC controller which will just simply slot into your current LOR network, you will still need to source the rectangular modules and suitable power supply from either of the above 2 other choices.

So 3 options for you to decide.

I wouldnt bother with the 3 channel controllers as this becomes complex and expensive when making the candy canes this way.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thank you FastEddy. See, If I would explain it properly to begin with, then I would have prevented headaches all around. I am in the process of going through your manual from auschristmaslighting and have already had some insights that are helping me understand it a little better. Very well written. I guess I should exhaust all resources before posting in the future. Thanks guys for helping out this old Tennessee mountain boy. I think after I finish the manual, make sure I have a proper understanding of all of this, I may just give it a try this year. Thanks again, now back to research.
    Ron