Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Interesting thread on LOR

A guy posted on the LOR forum about his bad experiences with a vendor. When we offered help the guy got all defensive and refused to show us the ifs and buts of why he had a bad experience. What is significant here is that improperly connected LED nodes can and will flicker. There is a maximum number of nodes that you can connect before you have to reinject power directly from the powersupply via a larger gauge wire. Second, improperly sizing your powersupply can do the same thing. Third, being stingy on wire gauge can be a problem too.

Here is the link.

What is sad we can't experiment with his flicker problem.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Interesting thread on LOR

I have not had time to go to this link .. the boys are bugging me to go knee boarding at the moment.

But .. This seems to relate with the flicker I mentioned last week on a LED strip. The power supply I used last week was under-sized (approx 500mA) for the 300 5050 LEDs that were on the spool I had hooked up. The wires were thin connecting it to the power supply also .. I'll have to check back on this topic when I get some time ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Denny must be on the house boat... I wish I was out on the lake.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

ha ha brad i can fish off the porch on my river house
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The thread is mostly over now. I wanted it to be something other than bashing but that didn't happen.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Unfortunatly nothing really good came out of that thread , to me it just felt like a vendor bashing excercise as when asked about facts and links he then bacame very defensive and avoided answering any questions. More times than not there are 2 sides to a story, so when ever making claims against a vendor in the forums then it should always be backed up with some fact to support the story so everyone learns.

Flickering Lights can have many causes, I had some major flickering issues last year when i initially setup even though everything on the bench worked great, My flickering was caused by many factors which all contributed. From power supply choice, to a dodgy FET on a controller that didnt have DMX isolation, to the DMX cable acting like an antenna and recieving electrical noise.
    I was able to eliminate the flickering by taking a few different approaches and dealing with each issue on its own.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Fasteddy, you are correct. The guy wanted us to take his word and not ask any questions. To paraphrase him, he said that he had an engineer that analyzed the trouble, then he said that he was fully capable of analyzing the problem himself. Well which case is it? He said he tried all of this stuff but wouldn't even tell us what he did, but we were to assume that he did the connections correctly. He did say something that got my attention in that it worked with the supplier's driver but no others. Which got me to thinking that the clock might have intentionally been at a slower frequency than the other drivers to force the world to buy proprietary components. But, I dropped the whole thread when some folks drug it off topic and wanted to be ugly. I am just about done with the LOR forum all together. I think it was Scott that said he never looks there anymore. I am getting that way now.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm always amazed at folks who think they are "contributing to the forum" by posting a "watch out for vendor ABC, they really screwed us", and then assume that everyone will take them at their word without details.

I also loved posters like "Orville" who, at least as far as I can tell, haven't yet discovered the difference between dumb RGB strings/strips and smart ones with IC's in them.

Thanks, Al for the pointer to the thread. It provided a few moments of entertainment...
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!
    Likes SWood liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I only check the LOR forums when someone mentions something good or important going on there. Other than CC, I really only use two other sites. Both are very progressive and don't waste time on negative energy.

AusChristmasLighting - Index
    Do It Yourself Christmas Forums

Both sites are large and they manage to keep things clean and fun. And the technical "knowledge base" and creative process on those sites are amazing. I highly recommend these sites to CC members.

<Yep Brad, you caught me> I was posting from the middle of the lake. Trying to get in more time on the water this year. As part of my future retirement, we're probably parting with Midnight Splash in the next year or so. I will still keep my antique hydros and run them in meets a couple times a year, and probably pick up a family boat to play on - - maybe just keep the current Seadoo Jetboat. The wife is suggesting a pair of jetskis... Hmmmmmmmm
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control
    Likes SWood liked this post

Newbie Extraordinaire... scottmcl's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    . I am just about done with the LOR forum all together. I think it was Scott that said he never looks there anymore. I am getting that way now.
    The LOR forum is still active? Neat! Sounds like nothing has changed, though. Glad I found y'all before I found them or I would not be doing blinky lights.
    - Scott M.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I left LOR fourms when it came out Chuck was running it.... lol