Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ECG-DR4

wbottomley

Default Re: ECG-DG4

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post

Ok, sure, you can do 4 DMX universes in LOR iDMX for a grand or do them with a ECG-DR4 for $130! Sure, you can do it off-the-shelf if you're made of money. Eight CCRs for $250 a piece, when you could accomplish the same thing DIY for $85? Ok, sure. I'll keep trolling the DIY forums and leave yall to the OTS stuff, I can't afford it.

I rarely visit them much anymore but frequently visit the Aussie Forums. They seem to be investing a huge amount of time into RGB and low voltage.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: ECG-DG4

Shanta,

No one here is opposed to DIY. In the past year I've built a Lynx Express controller, 8 Mighty Mini floods, 10 Rainbow floods, a v-drive and v-flood. Nothing wrong with diy just as nothings wrong with off-the-shelf. Even better when you have them working together.

I remember how proud you were just a week or so ago when on Jan 27th you received your first controller, a 16 channel LOR board, and then on Jan 28th you posted:
    Man, there is something magical about hooking up that first strand of lights and running the test program... seeing your first shimmer fade! If I wasn't hooked before...
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: ECG-DR4

That what I'm talking about John. DIY

wbottomley

This is how I see OTS vs. DIY.

Go to Vimeo or YouTube and watch some video's of a DIY light show and some from OTS light show. One thing people notice, they look the same.

So in the end, they all look the same but how you get there is a different story.

If you want to spend little money but have extra time, DIY is the way to go.
    If you have some money and little time, OTS is the way to go.

Ultimately, that decision is one you have to make. But in the end, they all look the same.

Don't get me wrong... any way you go is the correct way and the best way for you!

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm not anti-DIY, or anti-OTS... I was just a bit irritated by the suggestion than I should keep quiet because I'm not an "expert". I may not have depth of experience, but I'm a quick-study and when I get my teeth into something I really devour it. I felt I had something to add, especially in light of some incorrect information that had been added to this thread, so I shared (trying to be as humble as I could) "what I understood" to be the case.

For what it's worth, I'm still quite enamored by the sight of 8 bundles of minis sitting on the floor going blinky to Setzer.

Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    I'm not anti-DIY, or anti-OTS... I was just a bit irritated by the suggestion than I should keep quiet because I'm not an "expert". I may not have depth of experience, but I'm a quick-study and when I get my teeth into something I really devour it. I felt I had something to add, especially in light of some incorrect information that had been added to this thread, so I shared (trying to be as humble as I could) "what I understood" to be the case.

For what it's worth, I'm still quite enamored by the sight of 8 bundles of minis sitting on the floor going blinky to Setzer.

I will say this again as you evidently didn't hear me the first three times. I made a mistake and didn't want to discuss the matter further. You prodded me and stated you couldn't wait 2 weeks. Why? Is it because your display hinges on the knowledge being given to you here, NO. Is it because you are being unreasonable, YES. You demanded more of my time than I was willing to give you. If you want respect give respect. If you decide to bring your attitude to the TASL meeting please do us a favor and stay home. We donate our time and our money to give the meetings. You have a very strange way of asking for help.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ummm, I wasn't even talking about you, Al. I was irritated by Denny's suggestion that my contributions were inappropriate. And I wasn't prodding you to respond further, I just didn't want to shut down the conversation because some folks didn't want to participate. And, I have tried my best to be humble, and seem to be getting smacked around for my efforts. Where did I show disrespect? WTF, I'm just trying to talk about lights! Thought that was the point.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    Is it because your display hinges on the knowledge being given to you here, NO. Is it because you are being unreasonable, YES.

No, just trying to engage the OP's topic: who has used or plans to use the ECG-DR4 and what are folks opinions. Again, not sure why there is such resistance to talking about lights going blinky.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I'm going to blink first, since I'm the only one with anything to loose in this 'fight'. I am sorry if (or that) anybody took anything I posted as disrespectful, antagonizing, combative, argumentative, authoritative, or otherwise offensive. It was not my intent, though I should have known better that intention is not easily discerned via this medium. I very much so want to be a part of this community, and do not want to be un-invited before I ever get to attend a meeting. I am sure that once you folks meet me in person you will be able to read my affable personality into my posts. People generally love me... I'm Santa Claus for heaven's sake!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Guys I think this is enough. The man was only eager to learn, if he come across in the wrong tone as he feels like he has so be it he appologized lets all be adults. But at the same time last time I checked this is Christmas Carolina not TASL.com, so as several others have a point we all come here to learn not be given tid bits of information and then told if you want to learn come to Raleigh and we will teach you. What is the point of coming here if no one is willing to share unless you come to the meetings, if that was the case then why should William waste his money to operate this site for us. I am not pointing fingers at no one or trying to talk down to anyone but it just seems the further this thread goes the more heated it is getting, I tried to ignore the comments this morning but it seems to have blown up since then. If someone has knowledge they want to share so be it, if someone has a desire to learn so be it. The comment was made that like so many other sites filled with trash that didnt work or misguided did we not all at some point learn by trial and error, I mean would lights flash today if it wasnt for someones desire to make a few mistakes to finally make it work right? I mean thats why we are all here and that is to learn. Please forgive me for going on a tangent and forgive me if you feel I pointed fingers because I am not, I like it here and want to learn the same way as everyone else so I am not out to make enemies.
    Likes davetv102 liked this post

wbottomley

I spend lots of money per year so that anyone and everyone can learn that decorating is fun. A dumb question is one that's not asked.

So, let's take a deep breath and read what's been posted into a public domain.

One feature that Vbulletin has is ignore. You can ignore a person and all posts from them won't show up.
    Likes davetv102, rescue_653 liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    One feature that Vbulletin has is ignore. You can ignore a person and all posts from them won't show up.
    Oh Yeah, I had forgotten about that feature. Let's see ....... I can put in Al, and....... Thomas? nah, Thomas is a good guy, after all he started this wonderful thread, so Thomas stays....... Walter? nah, since Walter gave up the hookers and found out it was free, we never hear from him anymore............William? Yeah, I'll add William, then I won't know when he posted that I was banned from the forum...........Brad ? nah, I like his pink bunny suit........I'll have to think about who else to add to my ignore list

So I guess it's just Al and William for now.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So I guess it's just Al and William for now.
    I would address your post but I have you ignored already.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Al in Raleigh View Post
    I would address your post but I have you ignored already.
    Did I hear a noise? Can't see anything so the "feature" must be working as William advertised.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Did I hear a noise? Can't see anything so the "feature" must be working as William advertised.
    You think you're so smart. My Daddy was ignoring your Daddy before you were born.
    Al