Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: ECG-DG4

If people don't want to discuss what is new and coming, why have a forum or chat rooms. This is the way some people get there information (plus the internet) on new products. I know you have to be very careful on the information and where you get it cause it could be wrong. Yes the light industry is rapidly changing, one day it is new and two week later it is old technology. We all want the get the best for the money these day and hope it last a life time.
    Thanks of the info.
    Thomas
    Last edited by TGabriel; 02-07-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with Al, that almost any of the "cutting edge" technology that you buy (or build) today may very well be obsolete in a year, and usually it depends on software support from another 3rd party vendor that has no financial interest in the hardware or how well the hardware and software may work together.

Looking at LOR's business model, they will never be on the cutting edge of the latest technology. They make a "commercial / consumer product", that can be easily (and economically) supported, without the "consumer" having to be an engineer to understand it and to make it all work together. And they spend the bucks to have some of their hardware products UL listed, so they may be used in commercial displays and meet all local and national electrical codes.

Therefore, they will always lag the DIY community in hardware products and software. Much of the DIY hardware was designed by people for their own use, and they shared with the rest of the DIY community for those adventerous souls that fully understand how all the bits are supposed to work together, and understand that some combinations of hardware will require infinite tinkering to make it work, if it ever does.

LOR by contrast, cannot afford to invest many thousands of dollars designing hardware and software to operate it unless they can guarantee that it will work as advertised by the average Joe Doe consumer that has absolutely no technical knowledge.

Dan at LOR is very much aware that with the advent of RGB pixel products that displays with thousands of channels will be very common and will be releasing hardware products and software to properly interface with their hardware all during 2011.

I really look forward to beta testing the software as it is released this year as well as purchasing their new hardware.

Several years ago I was more "technology oriented" then I am today. Here in my "old age" I just want my display to work the way I want it to, without having to always be tinkering with it..

But, the Tech geek in me has me really looking forward to the discussions regarding the newest "cutting edge" stuff.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Ok, forgive me for sharing what I've learned. I had no idea that there was one fountain-head for RGB information and all other voices should remain silent. I'll try to refrain from discussion on the discussion boards. And I have no doubt that LOR will catch up soon, but they virtually no presence in the current RGB/DMX scene.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

wbottomley

I'm for one, is looking at DIY RGB. The OTS products are a little expensive plus the DIY route can make you a little more knowledgeable in that area.

I wouldn't invest $1K's, but, I would invest in a couple hundred to have a little fun.

RGB is fun, the future, and really the only way to go... but that's opinion.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    but they virtually no presence in the current RGB/DMX scene.
    Last season Fabian ran 9 LOR networks, 3500 channels including 4 loaded DMX universes and 8 CCRs from LOR S2 ver 2.9.4. Seems like a RGB/DMX "presence" to me, using commercial off the self LOR hardware and software.

Certainly not to the extent that some of the "engineer / experimenters" on the Aussie board are able to accomplish with their homebrew hardware.

The only other "commercial" off the shelf hardware solution that I'm aware of is by Stellascapes/ResponseBox, using Madrix software. Andrew controlled a display on the east coast of the USA from Melbourne, AU using E1.31 over the internet this past year.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

wbottomley

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Andrew controlled a display on the east coast of the USA from Melbourne, AU using E1.31 over the internet this past year.

And... that was awesome! I only wished I had a brain like that!

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I agree with Al
    Ahhhhaaaaa I knew it would happen one day if I waited long enough. He agreed with me. John agreed with me. I'm gonna gloat for a while.

Several years ago I was more "technology oriented" then I am today. Here in my "old age" I just want my display to work the way I want it to, without having to always be tinkering with it..
    Old fart. I pattern my old fartedness after John's. He's a good mentor.

But, the Tech geek in me has me really looking forward to the discussions regarding the newest "cutting edge" stuff.
    Yep, me too but don't assume that I'm agreeing with you like you like you did with me above. I'm still gloating.
    This line was added so that I could save this post without the editor telling me the message above "was too short". Well Ladeda. The old fart in me didn't and likely won't read the instructions to figure out how to make this thing post without this stupid sentence.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: ECG-DR4

William, he is an outstanding engineer.

Did you read their post about creating the LED/DMX control systems for the costumes used in last night's Superbowl halftime performance? Amazing!
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    .. RGB is fun, the future, and really the only way to go... but that's opinion.
    Now that is the truth. In a few years it will be the standard. The guys that are pioneering this are talented.
    Al

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Have fun gloating, Al.

Look outside, the moon is BLUE tonight.

You won't see me agreeing with you until again till the next one occurs.

I will agree with William, when he said, "RGB is fun, the future, and really the only way to go"
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

When I scrounge up enough money to make a 3X10 matrix, you'll see it's awesome. I need to put those two DR4's to good use.

Can someone send me a blank check?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    Ok, forgive me for sharing what I've learned.
    Shanta, perhaps you were not aware that most of us have had the pleasure of meeting Ed Bryson, the creator of the the ECG-DR4, and hearing his presentation of the history behind the creation.

The one thing that many of us do relealize is that intergrateing the different technologies from different vendors is not for the faint of heart. Certainly not a "plug & play" solution in the form that it exists today..

Doable? Yes. Easily? Not necessarily.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by wbottomley View Post
    When I scrounge up enough money to make a 3X10 matrix, you'll see it's awesome. I need to put those two DR4's to good use.

Can someone send me a blank check?
    It's in the mail, William. Hold your breath until it arrives.
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

wbottomley

Here, I caught part of Ed's presentation at the 2010 Christmas Carolina Convention.

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Last season Fabian ran 9 LOR networks, 3500 channels including 4 loaded DMX universes and 8 CCRs from LOR S2 ver 2.9.4. Seems like a RGB/DMX "presence" to me, using commercial off the self LOR hardware and software.

Ok, sure, you can do 4 DMX universes in LOR iDMX for a grand or do them with a ECG-DR4 for $130! Sure, you can do it off-the-shelf if you're made of money. Eight CCRs for $250 a piece, when you could accomplish the same thing DIY for $85? Ok, sure. I'll keep trolling the DIY forums and leave yall to the OTS stuff, I can't afford it.

Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.