Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default RGB Strips

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Here's a thought for the sharp bends on LED strips. There are now strips that use LED's oriented towards the edges of the strips. That way, you could put your strips on the "outside" of the wireframe, and go around the corners without a problem, since the strip is not getting folded. I haven't looked lately at the China marketplace to see the options ...
    I thought I would move this discussion to a topic that matches. This is getting interesting

Any ideas how those would mount to wire-frame rods? Perhaps somebody makes a 1/4" clip that just has a flat mounting surface. Something like that would allow all the old wireframes to be updated to RGB strips, at a very low cost compared with full PIXELS ! Then each single channel on a wireframe could become three channels (Red, Green, Blue) and of course with a wide range of possible colors.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

wbottomley

Default Re: RGB Strips

Denny... I wonder if small cable ties would work? Like the 4" ones?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The cable ties are a great idea ! And possibly some hot glue to keep the whole thing from twisting. I recently had to use hot glue to keep the perpendicular clips (for minis) from twisting on the rod.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

The strips that I bought and showed at the convention had an adhesive on the back that would help keep them stuck to the wireframe. Or at least to keep them from moving much. However, I also put cable ties at each end and about 4-5 inches in between. Given the strips had a silicone cover on the top, I thot I could cinch those ties fairly tight. I pulled a few too tight, and they started cutting thru the silicone and exposing some of the strip.

I've attached my strips to a larger than 1/4 inch wireframe, since they were reclaimed commercial frames, and left it out in the weather for a week or so. It still looks OK, but as I said, some places the silicone is splitting. I did put silicone sealer/caulk (clear) on each end where the strip had been cut, and heat shrinked the end where the wires are connected.

I do have one "leg" of one of the stars that's covered with a split piece of plastic tubing to see if that's a better way to protect the strip from the weather.

I'll try to get some pictures, but given that I'll be out of pocket most of this next week, it won't be till next Friday.

As for curved or corner sections, another option is an edge mounted LED strip, where the LED's shine towards the edge, as opposed to the top of the strip. This could get applied to the "edge" of the wireframe, and so go around corners easily.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!