Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Techniques for Video Taping

I know there are a zillion methods for getting a good video with good audio. I am quite familiar with audio tools and techniques. But I have zero experience with making a good video. I think a lot of us that are new to this hobby would like to read a paragraph from each of you that have videos on your websites (or wherever). I don't want to use the live Mic from the camera, so my first thought it to use an FM receiver and plug that into the cam. I would like to know how you do it and exactly which tools you use on the PC. I have never posted a video on the Internet, so some tips there would also be appreciated !

Sidebar - - Walter is coming by tonight with Al's FM Transmitter to get me back on 104.9. Many thanks to both !!
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

This space for rent. Al in Raleigh's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Techniques for Video Taping

Some folks dub the sound later so that it good quality. One year I used a Walkman headset on the mike on the camera. It worked well enough.

Next year I plan to hire somebody to make my videos. Maybe we can do a videographer group buy. I am sick of crappy videos that I can't post. I've hired videographers for work in years past.

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes, maybe we can get good enough prices to make it worthwhile for a group videographer buy .. not a bad idea.

I was thinking that the audio was dubbed after .. but I'd like to know what software and formats people are using. Some of that software is very expensive, and some is much more affordable. I'd like to hear some DOs and DONTs before I jump in and buy video editing software (that can dub and synchronize the audio)..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I am a video guy... I have Adobe Premiere CS4, Adobe After Effects CS4, Photoshop CS4, Flash CS4, Dreamweaver to name a few.....

You want to get Adobe Premier Elements... It is a consumer version of what I have. The Photoshop Elements is good to for photos....

Here is a link: Bestbuy

It sells for $99

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have the CS3 Master Collection, but have mostly just used it for PhotoShop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver. I stopped upgrading when I didn't see anything that I needed in CS4.

I had feared trying to learn Premier .. but perhaps it's time. I love Adobe products, but they sure do a crappy job of making their tools perform without significant setup of all the parameters. I guess they do it so they can sell more copies of their consumer tools .. They assume everyone who buys the lead tools will go off and spend 200 hours (per application) learning how to use them ...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Premiere is not that hard... Stick with the basics... I will be glad to share some training videos on it....

When you got your adobe software and registered it you were sent an email with free offers... Did you use these??? If not go find the emails and see if the offers are still good... If so there is a free month subscription to Lynda.com. A great source for learning Adobe. The best thing is EACH product in the Collection gets a free offer... If you used each one for Lynda.com you will have 5 or 6 minths of free classes...

Upgrading to CS4 from CS3 would not be that good of an upgrade for the money...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I have had it for nearly two years. Everything has expired. I used a few of those for Photoshop. Then I hired a local gal for some private lessons until she moved away. I might want to meet with you for a quick run-through on the basics of Premier. I just opened it for the first time ever, today.

I will contact you perhaps next week to see if there's a time you might be available. I can swing over to your house with my laptop ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Hey Kidcole,

I use premiere pro as well CS4 master suite but I had cs3 last year. Not much different in them. Anyway it's not to bad to get used to.

A good tip for you is use manual focus, as the lights dim you camera will lose it's focus a lot. Once you get it set it pretty much stays the same. It took me a while to figure that one out.

Good luck with the Premiere Pro, you'll start loving it after a few videos.

Ted

wbottomley

I pretty much agree with everyone here.

I dub the cd quality audio over the recorded version once I'm done editing.

My latest video... I didn't put much effort into it. Shooting video everyday can get very old in a hurry especially when you slam news stories together.

Here's the link to the latest video:

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

William,

Will you be doing Live Streaming of your display again this year?
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs

wbottomley

Well... I plan to but my DSL connection keeps kicking out.

One controller is making it go haywire.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

William, that system is just plain gorgeous. I love it. And your software talents are quite advanced. HOw far are you from Greensboro ? My wife's brother lives there and I would like to combine a visit with her brother .. along with catching up with a couple of you guys that are "over there" .. I have never left my system until after it had started, so it will interesting to see if I can pull that off too. The Santa suit is ready for action on Christmas Eve .. so I know I'm not leaving then !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes William, Very fine job. I normally don't watch videos twice, but I had to on this one. Love the song, Love the sequencing. Good job Clark...

VW
    RED MOUNTAIN LIGHTS

wbottomley

Depends where in GSO.

Generally about 1:30-1:45.

Here's one of better video's:

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

WOW! I love it William!

(Envy your video editing skills)
    John (The Mascot)
    www.tennholidays.com

480 LOR Channels + 2 CCR + 8 Mighty Minis + 10 Rainbow Floods+ 1 vdrive and vflood, Lynx Express and over 40,000 LEDs