Thread: projected video in your display? (going beyond virtual santa)????

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default projected video in your display? (going beyond virtual santa)????

I added a "virtual santa" video projected on an indie window last year as an afterthought and it was a big hit!

I wanted to do something similar for my halloween display and was looking for video ideas?

Has anyone editted real horror movie clips to use? (ie Jason lurking inside your house)?

I found a *few* places that were selling halloween videos but they were crazy expensive!

Any creative ideas or examples people have used for halloween?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: projected video in your display? (going beyond virtual santa)????

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    I added a "virtual santa" video projected on an indie window last year as an afterthought and it was a big hit!

I wanted to do something similar for my halloween display and was looking for video ideas?

Has anyone editted real horror movie clips to use? (ie Jason lurking inside your house)?

I found a *few* places that were selling halloween videos but they were crazy expensive!

Any creative ideas or examples people have used for halloween?
    My neighbor used to have one of a giant eyeball .. It was moving around and blinking .. He projected it reversed from behind, against a screen that sat just in front if his garage door. So the eye was about 7 feet tall .. I liked it but I have no idea where he got it.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

My suggestion would be to spring for one of the $40 DVD videos you can find. If you have never done any sort of video editing, or even if you have done light editing in the past (home movies on DVD), I would strongly suggest you just look for a full commercial solution. I tried to do video once... It didn't end well.

Commercial Halloween Clips - HauntedProps.com | Haunted House Props | Halloween Animatronics | Haunted House Animatronics

My suggestion would be to buy the DVD, rip the video and segment into "clips" that you can run either timed to sequences or on your own schedule. You could even go a step further and setup automatic triggering using a pair of garage door sensors. When your trick-o-treaters walk past the sensor the video clip plays (can be used with thunder/lightning effects too!).
    2014: Lights - 75,000; Channels - 500 Renard AC, 75 Renard DC, 10,000 Pixels; Vixen 3.0

Professional Net Lurker Jack Stevens's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It probably won"t lead to anything useful, but check out your local Dollar Tree; they usually have a selection of DVDs for - you guessed it - a buck. Most of them are the old now public domain movies, you might find a Bella Lagosi Dracula or a Werewolf moving.

Same thing for Big Lots.

If you have a Netflix or similar type of streaming video account, you may be able to rip something off there. Not sure how legal that is, though, although it would not be the full movie. As long as you don't charge admission, you can probably use partial videos under "fair use" laws.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2014 Specs: 11,739 Channels of RGB Basic and Intelligent pixels. 5216 Total RGB, LEDs
    WebSite: http://www.boydchristmasinlights.com Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook....istmasLightShow Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user12233488

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks... Anyone have experience using any of them? They have a bunch and at $40 a pop...

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowe View Post
    Thanks... Anyone have experience using any of them? They have a bunch and at $40 a pop...
    I don't see too many people posting Halloween stuff here much. I bet there are people on DoItYourselfChristmas.com who would give an opinion on these...
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I used the AtmosFX pumpkins video last year it was a huge hit this year I am using ghostly apparitions

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rfallatt View Post
    I used the AtmosFX pumpkins video last year it was a huge hit this year I am using ghostly apparitions
    Nice to hear from you Ron .. I hope one day I can do some Halloween effects. But I keep adding too much each year. Maybe next year I will keep the additions smaller and shoot for something in Halloween.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

I got this one
    Bone Chillers

There is a child friendly (not scary) set of 4, another 4 that things jump out at you. I am projecting it on my 2 car garage. looks very nice.
    When i received the dvd, the movies were encrypted so i couldny send the movie files to the falcon pi player.

i got the free program makemkv and it ripped them and they work perfect on teh fpp now.

PS: Just found a cheaper source of bonechillers
    $25 instead of $40
    HauntedProps.com | Haunted House Props | Halloween Animatronics | Haunted House Animatronics

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

So, you can't copy the DVDs... Unless you use that program? I haven't tried yet... How intrusive is makemkv on my system?

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

from your video Paul it looks like this worked out great. My family loved the result.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplett View Post
    from your video Paul it looks like this worked out great. My family loved the result.
    Thank you!