Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default The most amazing thing I have seen, the Pi Player from Dave Pitts

While at the Academy , Dave Pitts was showing his Rhasberry Pi Player (Amazon.com: Raspberry Pi Model B Revision 2.0 (512MB): Computers & Accessories)

Here are the technical words from Daves site Introducing the free Falcon PI Player (E131 output)

Features of the software.
    * Outputs at least 128 Universes of E131
    * Plays music files and outputs audio on 3.5mm jack.
    * Embedded web page configuration.
    Setup playlists, schedules, upload sequence and music files. Setup optional RDS feature.
    * Uses a user defined NTP server to keep accurate time.
    * FTP Server (Optional)
    Can be used to transfer files to player. FTP transfers of 64 MB sequence files are averaging 10 seconds.
    * Optional Server and Client operation by using inexpensive USB wireless interface in each.
    Using USB wireless card in both server and clients will allow E131 data to be transmitted on hard wired interface
    and have all sync information sent on wireless interface. Allowing for a small amount of data on the wireless sync network.
    USB network interfaces are about $10.00.
    * Optional RTC clock board if NTP is not available.
    * Optional RDS ASCII output.
    *Play video on 1080p HDMI output.
    * Client and slave will be same software just a configuration change.
    * Output up to 32768 channel for Pixelnet, 6144 channels of DMX. 12 RS-485 circuits. (Optional Falcon Pixelnet/DMX board (FPD) needed)

Xilights is used to convert sequence data to FPP file format.

Here are my words, Freakin Awesome!!

I have never seen my sequences run so crisply. You probably know that my lights are mounted in my basement ceiling ( ). I run sequences hundreds of times per year as I develop Nutcracker. I have never seen my sequences look this good!

how it works.

Basically, pi player runs your show (Think of it as the scheduler of xLights that used to be on my show computer is now on a small board).

This is now my new show computer

The Rhasberry Pi is running a full Linux OS and has two video outputs (Composite and HDMI), audio, ethernet, 2 usb ports, a sd card and other stuff.

Dave is writing the software to run the Pi and he is giving it away for free. It will be open sourced the same as xLights, Vixen and Nutcracker.

Dave has now tested that the Rhasberry Pi will be able to output 1080p Video during your show. He is developing slaves that will be connected wireless.

So how does this all work

After getting the PI setup
    1) you open a browser to address 192.168.0.2. You will now get a Falcon Pi setup screen.
    2)You first upload your sequences. Your Vixen, LOR, LSP, Xlights sequences need to be converted into Pi Sequence files. You will find this option on the Convert tab of xLights.
    3)You also need to upload your mp3 music files and any mp4 video files you might want in your show. Want Virtual Santa timed as part of show? You now can get it.
    4)You next go to a screen to create play lists, and schedule your show.
    5)You can start the show, start a song, stop a song immediately or gracefully. The scheduler will have all the options that xLights scheduler has.

You want to change a song? Use the ftp option and upload a new Pi Sequence file. You can do this while the current sequence is playing. There is zero lag while the file uploads!

I ran the full Wizards of Winter on my 7200 channel tree and saw zero latency, all audacity timing marks were spot on.

This pi player can be used with all hardware sequencers (P12r, E682, Etherdongle, Falcon FPD, others that have E1.31 input). You can get DMX output depending on your controller. Currently there is NOT a solution for the legacy LOR proprietary controllers. So if you use E1.31 and/or DMX, this will work.

Here is picture showing how it ties together
    http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/.../falcon_pi.pdf

MyKroft and Mat er Daddy are helping Dave develop the software, Software is supposed to be available for download within next 1-2 weeks.

Simply amazing ....

sean

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: The most amazing thing I have seen, the Pi Player from Dave Pitts

Dave has been posted some updates over on DIYC about his effort, and I've been watching.

As for legacy LOR controllers, if you can output DMX from either the Pi or via an E1.31-DMX bridge, you can run those LOR controllers via DMX. You lose native shimmer/twinkle but if you do that in software via Xlight/Nutcracker, it will work just fine with most LOR controllers, including the DC ones
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Wait, seriously? This is the full show controller? I can run this thing autonomous of another computer and it will run every show in my schedule including its music (and video) all for 1/5 the price of an LOR MP3 Director? Just want to be sure I'm reading it right. And it handles the translation of LOR and LSP files without problem?
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mschell View Post
    Dave has been posted some updates over on DIYC about his effort, and I've been watching.

As for legacy LOR controllers, if you can output DMX from either the Pi or via an E1.31-DMX bridge, you can run those LOR controllers via DMX. You lose native shimmer/twinkle but if you do that in software via Xlight/Nutcracker, it will work just fine with most LOR controllers, including the DC ones
    This stuff is getting pretty wild ! The way everything is starting to come together. Xlights seems to be the glue for everything.

I am curious about the DIMMing curves on the LOR controllers when they are run as DMX. I do a ton of dimming in my sequences and I discovered a much better look last year when I moved some of my DMX stuff back to LOR controllers. The DMX curves looked more choppy where the LOR is "prettier" .. I'd like to study this more in the future .. If the LOR controllers are running under DMX, will the pretty dimming go back to looking more choppy ?
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Shanta View Post
    Wait, seriously? This is the full show controller? I can run this thing autonomous of another computer and it will run every show in my schedule including its music (and video) all for 1/5 the price of an LOR MP3 Director? Just want to be sure I'm reading it right. And it handles the translation of LOR and LSP files without problem?
    Yes, it will run everything. At the Academy, Dave was showing it outputting 32K channels, 1K of those were actually connected to lights. I ran run my Wizards in Winter sequence and what got me excited was how crisp my timing transitions were.

I didnt know about LOR having the same thing (Show Director). I posted this thread in all the forums except for DLA because RJ has a competitive product, the Conductor. When notified by LOR yesterday that i was advertising a competitive product I had them delete this thread from the LOR forum.

This year my show may be 20K channels, i was worried about lag. Seeing 32K channels run and seeing the lights be that crisp. This is what I will be using this year.

ill let everyone know how it goes.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    This stuff is getting pretty wild ! The way everything is starting to come together. Xlights seems to be the glue for everything.

I am curious about the DIMMing curves on the LOR controllers when they are run as DMX. I do a ton of dimming in my sequences and I discovered a much better look last year when I moved some of my DMX stuff back to LOR controllers. The DMX curves looked more choppy where the LOR is "prettier" .. I'd like to study this more in the future .. If the LOR controllers are running under DMX, will the pretty dimming go back to looking more choppy ?
    This solution will provide E!.31 and DMX. If you want the built in shimmers and such of the LOR controllers, we would have to get the serial port working. That might be able to be added inb the future, but it is not on the priority list. Most people are moving from to E1.31 as the channel counts grow.

Toymaker/Delivery Guy Santa Shannon's Avatar
    Status
    Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Why serial port, why not just USB? I wonder if anybody has a good-looking, hand-made shimmer and twinkle they'd be willing to share.
    Check out my professional Santa website, That's Santa!.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Shanta,
    The only issue that some folks have seen is that the "local" LOR shimmer/twinkle is somewhat fast or nice steps in/out. Depending on your refresh rate from DMX, the twinkle may not be as "smooth" as the local hardware one.

But that's a small price to pay if you're getting all the other features of Xlights or LSP or other things that LOR S3 can't do as easily.
    Mark

New location - new display. Looking forward to 2015 season!

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by mkozik1 View Post
    Got it - Like I said, bad thing!! Was thinking of something else .......

Thanks,

Yeah, David just announced the first release of the pi player.
    Thread is on his site. Release of Falcon Pi Player (FPP) Alpha 0.0.3

650mbyte image. I already got my image and have the pi player running my 12K channels.

sean

[quote author=David Pitts link=topic=155.msg834#msg834 date=1376264326]
    You can find the first public Alpha Release here. Alpha 0.0.3
    Download Falcon Pi Player from SourceForge.net

We are getting the bug tracking system set up. We may end up using Github's ability to track bugs.

Known things to implement/bugs

1) Repeat/no repeat of playlists in immediate player.
    2) First/Last option for playlists.
    3) Weekday, weekend and other quick scheduling day options.
    4) Better music to sequence data syncing.
    5) E131 to Pixelnet/DMX bridge. (Half way done)
    6) Video playback, wireless slave operation.

Follow the instructions here to get the image burned to your SD card(4gig minimum). You also need to have a USB memory stick formatted to Fat32 installed in PI to hold media.
    Downloads | Raspberry Pi under Raw Images. But use our image instead.

This release is to get you familiar with player and possibly to allow a willing user to create a wiki and/or manual.
    This is an Alpha release and will be a bit buggy. This is still a work in progress.

Thanks for your patience.

David and MyKroft
    [/quote]