Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Lurker to starter

I have lurked and wanted to put lights up for some time. It became cost and time prohibitive. I have decided this is the year I am going to do it. Year 1 will be a simple plan and see where it goes from there. The plan is to line the eaves for a more permanent install. Front windows, doors, and garage doors will be built modular. Those areas are not too high for me. The peaks are.

I purchased a Falcon F16v3, power supply, 2 strings of pixel nodes, and a soldering station. This is just to be used for learning initially. Learn how to setup, make a simple display, practice soldering, test power and data run lengths, etc.

Things I need to figure out:
    How to make an install semi-permanent on the high eaves? I am leaning towards using j-channel
    What spacing I want to use for pixel nodes?
    Do I want the pixels to point out toward the street, down at the ground, or back towards the house?

I am sure there are a ton of other things I need to investigate. At least this is the start.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Lurker to starter

welcome to Christmas Carolina if you could be a little more specific on your location im sure there is someone who can point you in the right dereliction lot of good videos over on [xLights ? Light sequencer and Show scheduler
    Last edited by mpurser; 01-11-2019 at 04:17 AM.
    are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome to the madness. To answer your questions. I have seen people do nice looking year round installs using the bullet nodes you describe with the vinyl j channel used for house trim. I personally have never done it. I installed eyelets in my eaves so I can just ziptie pipe holding my lights. Make setup and tear down quick and easy. With bullets you need them to point at the viewer to get the best effect. The spacing is gonna be a personal choice of what you want it to do but the biggest "standard" spacing is 4" so you will not get much more than 3.75" between the nodes. The 4" is based on total wire length which includes what goes into the bullet cover. Of course you can order bigger spacing. You can look at peoples videos online and see what look you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Thanks for the information. I have updated my profile. I am in Rolesville. All I am doing initially is getting a few key pieces of hardware to get started. I have a general idea of the outline I want to do. I have 1 strand of pixel nodes, 1 strand of strips, 1 PSU, and a Falcon F16v3. Its enough to get started with the very basics.

I am not 100% sure how I want to mount the lights to the eaves yet. Because they are well outside my comfort zone on a ladder, I do not want to have to put them up and take them down often. I also want it to look clean because they are expected to be up for a long time. The front of my house gets very little direct sunlight. I know there will be maintenance, fixes, etc. I am not one to be 25-30' up on a ladder. I don't have a ladder that can reach those heights to begin with. I will need to hire some guys that are up that high all the time.
    Likes mpurser liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

are you sure we checked every pixel?The Home of North Carolina's Largest tomato cage pixel tree.http://www.thelightsonpurserroad.com

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedNole View Post
    Thanks for the information. I have updated my profile. I am in Rolesville. All I am doing initially is getting a few key pieces of hardware to get started. I have a general idea of the outline I want to do. I have 1 strand of pixel nodes, 1 strand of strips, 1 PSU, and a Falcon F16v3. Its enough to get started with the very basics.

I am not 100% sure how I want to mount the lights to the eaves yet. Because they are well outside my comfort zone on a ladder, I do not want to have to put them up and take them down often. I also want it to look clean because they are expected to be up for a long time. The front of my house gets very little direct sunlight. I know there will be maintenance, fixes, etc. I am not one to be 25-30' up on a ladder. I don't have a ladder that can reach those heights to begin with. I will need to hire some guys that are up that high all the time.
    We have our next all day meeting near Crossroads (South Raleigh) on Feb 9th. Look for the announcement and details here. Please post if you are coming. Bring pictures or drawings of what you want to do. There are also group buys here during February, if you want new parts. There are also used for sale here now and then.

Also if you want to join our TASL (Triangle Areas Synchronized Lighting) email list, send me a PM.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Back to Work <unretired> so I went Static in 2017. Planning xLights when I retire <again>. Maybe 2019 ?

Falcon - 3 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 288 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control