Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Hello to all members

I am Michael (or mike). I live in Graham North Carolina. I work at the University of North Carolina. I am new to synchronized lights. My current display is a static display with some of those store bought chasing and multi function lights. I want to wow the neighborhood more. I have been researching all types of different controllers and programs. My wife wants something on the roof but not sure what. There are a lot of ideas out there so for now it's one step at a time.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Default Re: Hello to all members

Hi Mike, welcome to Christmas Carolina!

I'm sure you have found there are lots of options on controlling your lights. They all have their positives and negatives. We use Light-O-Rama controllers and software.
    Joel

Rebuilding for 2017 :-) kidcole's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Welcome Mike. When we first started this club with a handful of us, everyone used Light O Rama controllers and software. Then Vixen freeware started to root with members, along with the Renard controllers built as kits. Vixen is free and the Renard kits were literally 75% cheaper per channel. Then pixels hit and spread us out like flies. Many stayed with LOR software but added pixel controllers .. we expanded from a couple simple pixel effects to larger numbers of pixels. to the point where it was just too hard to program with LOR software .. These days LOR has added more programming tools but they don't come remotely close to xLights for pixels. xLights weakness is running AC light controllers tho.. in that world, LOR and Vixen are still the leaders. So pixels generally create the dividing line for what software you go with. Although Sam Johnson in North Raleigh is now running over 100,000 channels with Vixen. xLights does not require users to pay and software licensing fees. But they have about 4 different people who work on the software full time for donations. So we remind each other to donate if you're running xLights. LOR is about $35 or $40 per year, and xLights has far more features for pixels .. so that's the benchmark to decide what you might want to donate each year. We would hate to lose those guys !

You'll enjoy the club. We're now over 40 members and lots of custom effects ideas are shared at our meetings. We also hold a TASL tour each year after Christmas. It takes us two days to get around now. So we run an East side of Raleigh tour and a West side of Raleigh tour.
    Thanks,

Denny Cole
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cole...ristmasLights/

Moving to Xlights for 2017 !

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

hi mike welcome to cc its not all hat hard to learn how in this hobby/obsession ask and there are folks here that can and will help.

are you sure we checked every bulb?why is that one pixel staying on
    www.thelightsonpurserroad.com
    4756 rgb channels for2016

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Mike. Welcome. Are you gonna do any RGB or just regular lights? Your Facebook posts suggested some RGB but now I'm not so sure. How steep is your roof? This could dictate what is up there. Rule #1 with the lights is keep the wife happy so I expect to see something on the roof this year. Let us know what you want to know. Post some picture if you want ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by kidcole View Post
    LOR is about $35 or $40 per year
    The only fee LOR charges for software is the initial purchase price to buy it. There is no annual fee to keep using the software. You can purchase software upgrades that come available after the first year or so, but you don't have to, the software will work for ever on the first license purchase.
    Joel

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
    The only fee LOR charges for software is the initial purchase price to buy it. There is no annual fee to keep using the software. You can purchase software upgrades that come available after the first year or so, but you don't have to, the software will work for ever on the first license purchase.
    Very good point. You only pay the upgrade fees to LOR if you want their new software updates. I paid annually because I wanted the new features as they came out. But you can stop at any time and continue using what you have.

This would still be the same for xLights. Donating is voluntary for xLights, but we encourage everyone who uses xLights to donate to keep the developers going. And if you are happy with what you have and don't need any software updates, then just keep using it for free. xLights is growing much faster than the others. So there are great new features coming out every year. Sometimes several major things each year.

There is also an additional way to donate by offering items to others, and then donating all or a portion to the xLights developers. Joe Tripp has been doing that with the 3D printed PiHat cases. He charges more than they actually cost him in materials, and then he donates the extra $$$ to xLights. It's a very nice thing to do !
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Falcon - 2 F16V3 & 1 PiCap, Sandevices - 2 E681 & 4 E6804, 256 Channels Lynx Express, 108 Channels DC DMX,
    10' Pixel MegaTree, CoroFlakes w/Pixel Modules, Pixel RBLs, 2 Pixel Matrix 16x25, 10" RGB Ornaments, 7x230 Pixel Icicle Matrix,
    Classic 20' AC Megatree, TIR Destiny RGB Spots, RGB Blowmolds, Wireframes, and Inflatables with External Light Control

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Yes I agree with rule #1 . I am going to do some rgb this year. I want to make some North poles for the yard. As far as the roof I'm not sure yet. I don't have pictures yet but when I get some later today I'll post them.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Yes I agree with rule #1 . I am going to do some rgb this year. I want to make some North poles for the yard. As far as the roof I'm not sure yet. I don't have pictures yet but when I get some later today I'll post them.
    Great ! I am flying to Colorado today and will be offline until tomorrow. Signing off now ..
    Thanks,

Denny Cole

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I had planned on making north poles last year and never got around to it. I was going to do a version like this but with a globe on top. They sell globe tops as well but where I sent you originally is cheaper.
    HolidayCoro Coro Candle for RGB Pixels
    It depends how far you are from the road if you will like this or not. I was going to try and make it more round with some modifications or by just buying the sheets at hardware store and doing my own.

Do you want to build or solder your controllers? That will dictate what AC controller you get. Also how much do you want to animate things. 2 years ago I used only 1 LOR AC controller. Last year it was 4 LOR and 2 Falcons RGB controllers. If you just will have a couple North Pole RGB elements you might just want a Pi and PiHat $85 or a 4 output controller $100-115.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-12339523_914808155275803_6697466819094853768_o.jpgthis is my display. I don't brag about it. The house is a three bedroom single level ranch style. A flat roof with a chimney on it.
    🎄
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

It's not to far off the road. Maybe 30 or so feet. The small trees are all white. I do have two regular trees I use as well. The wife says the deer stays. -15304404_1169033746519908_3076606078087361630_o.jpg
    🎄
    Likes rcktpwrd liked this post

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

-12304310_914808098609142_8437613364882191155_o.jpg
    🎄

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

That's a great canvas for anything you want to do. I like the ranch style because it means it no big ladders. Is that a fence in your front yard? I see poles or something. I ask because that is where some people put an rgb globe. It's simple and clean looking.

Status
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted

What looks like a fence are poles that are packed with big ornaments on them. There made from pvc and wrapped with red tape. There not see through or have lights in them. My wife wants lights and a Santa sleigh on the roof.
    🎄